PDA

View Full Version : 540 PCV Plate Question

araine901
02-10-2006, 08:31 PM
I have orderd up the intake gaskets and PCV plate and stuff to tune up some cold running roughness. My question is how often should I scheduel this into the my maintainance? Every year? Every other? Every 5 years? Or just when it gets rough? How long should the PCV be in there before it gets changed?

Any opinions would be appreciated.

Thanks

Aaron

winfred
02-10-2006, 08:44 PM
i have yet to find a failure pattern in the m60/62 plates (boy do the ones on a m44 suck though) the best thing is just change everything when it starts to run crappy and you should have several years peace, i mean the orignal stuff lasted 10 odd years

632 Regal
02-10-2006, 08:50 PM
dont forget about the front plate gasket! I did and I have to remove the intake again to replace it.

winfred
02-10-2006, 08:54 PM
i don't detect past tence in that, you aint done did that yet?

I did and I have to remove the intake again to replace it.

632 Regal
02-10-2006, 09:21 PM
them torx bolts are an alloy which includes playdough.

winfred
02-10-2006, 09:35 PM
and you tried to take them out with a crappy wrench :D i had a special snap on bit socket made up just for those, it's a size they don't normally do in 1/4 drive but you need the small diameter drive to clear all of the crap they put in the way to keep the bit straight

them torx bolts are an alloy which includes playdough.

632 Regal
02-10-2006, 10:44 PM
got a reducer and the bit was tight, messed up 3 of em and quit, need to yank it and replace with bolts.
and you tried to take them out with a crappy wrench :D i had a special snap on bit socket made up just for those, it's a size they don't normally do in 1/4 drive but you need the small diameter drive to clear all of the crap they put in the way to keep the bit straight

mholbrook
02-11-2006, 08:32 AM
If you go to the trouble of taking off the intake on a BMW v8, be sure and do the valve cover gaskets and the o-rings, every thing under there. I have seen a lot of these cars in my friends shop for valve cover gaskets and in particular, the gaskets that keep oil from the spark plugs. Oil kills coils.

winfred
02-11-2006, 08:52 AM
pretty fair idea but having the intake off doesn't save you any time on the vc gaskets, not like doing the water pump while you are doing a timing belt on a m20 because you are allready there and it only adds 5 minutes to the job

If you go to the trouble of taking off the intake on a BMW v8, be sure and do the valve cover gaskets and the o-rings, every thing under there. I have seen a lot of these cars in my friends shop for valve cover gaskets and in particular, the gaskets that keep oil from the spark plugs. Oil kills coils.