PDA

View Full Version : Door Ding Rant

Alexlind123
02-10-2006, 04:47 PM
Door dings piss me off. For someone to so carelessly swing their door open into someone elses car without thinking twice and walking away is inexscusable. I have seen this happen many times in parking lots starting as a young child, walking to and from the car with my mother; up to now, seeing the evidence on my own car. I have always thought these actions to be utterly careless and asinine and can honestly say that i have never inflicted a door ding on someone elses car, no matter the tightness of the lot.

If, while walking toward my car, i ever see someone "ding" my car, i will either confront them and demand payment for damages up front or quietly let the air out of their tires after they leave (depending on the size of the offender).

The worst part about door dings is the feleing of helplessness that comes with them. The only thing i can do is park in an end space to limit possible damage to one side and hope for the best. I would rather run into a curb or something than be "dinged" because it would be something i did myself that i could have prevented be being more careful. Dents cannot be removed either, unless the whole door is replaced, which would be silly for a little dent or two and would not stop the problem in any case.

SharkmanBMW
02-10-2006, 04:52 PM
dents can be removed by pros with the right tools!

I had this dent and a half pushed out for about $150USD.
I made it clear $$ was not the point, I wanted perfection, and out came the tail light, and then the tools!

He spent 45 minutes getting it 98% perfect, to the point I would have accepted it and been happy.... then he did another 30 minutes and it is 100% un-noticeable.
The guy was really cool and cared about his work, not everyone could do that job, patience really is a virtue!

I too park carefully, but I sleep better at night knowing this guy is a phone call away.... a ding is no longer for life!

Paul in NZ
02-10-2006, 04:55 PM
park away from everyone...

Alexlind123
02-10-2006, 04:58 PM
The only part that is away from people at my school is the gravel lot. I probably would have gotten stuck in the lake-like potholes there in the winter, but perhaps i will attempt to park there now that it is dry.

Blitzkrieg Bob
02-10-2006, 05:08 PM
All the BMWs are huddled in the far end of the lot at the ends to avoid boneheads

Alexlind123
02-10-2006, 05:22 PM
Here are pictures of the worst of them. They arent as bad as i first thought, but they still wont "just buff out".

http://servo.postverket.us/alex/ding1.jpg

http://servo.postverket.us/alex/ding2.jpg

calmloki
02-10-2006, 05:24 PM
The only part that is away from people at my school is the gravel lot. I probably would have gotten stuck in the lake-like potholes there in the winter, but perhaps i will attempt to park there now that it is dry.
Really? Wow - when I was a lad gravel was just an opportunity to spin up the tires - nothing like the fun of spitting a cloud of dust and rocks at your buddies. Maybe it was a farm town kind of thing.
Tom Walrod

calmloki
02-10-2006, 05:29 PM
Those are fixable. Like Sharkman said - you are looking for the dentless paint removal experts. No, that's not quite right... And I'm with you - I skinny out of my door rather than whack it into the next car - but I've seen "people" bounce their doors off of other cars repeatedly in an attempt to make the door stay open. Inconsiderate Boneheads.

mikell
02-10-2006, 05:30 PM
I feel your pain - and sometimes there is just no choice about where to park - not to mention the jerks in SUV's they make bigger dents high up, where they are really ugly. I have some small ones I need to take to the dent doctor.

Blitzkrieg Bob
02-10-2006, 05:35 PM
I have a collection of heat seeking shopping cart hits on the bumpers, a ripple on a fender from some old bat who attended the Helen Keller school for touch driving, a dimple and pressure dings on the hood from an attack from BMW hating tree.

wingman
02-11-2006, 12:19 AM
I'm a 'pole parker' by nature (park next to the poles in parking lots). At least one side of my car will be safe. The thing that p**ses me off the most is that the majority of the population doesn't even consider what they are doing. 99.9% of people drive around (and park of course) in their cars with their heads up their a**es. Too caught up in their own little world to consider the next person. Rant on brother!

632 Regal
02-11-2006, 01:02 AM
99.8 percent (wheres the percent button?) have lease vehicles that are new and dont give a **** about any ones car.

liquidtiger720
02-11-2006, 01:08 AM
door ding?

here in san francisco, we get door DENTS.

In the following picture, you can see where some idiot somehow...dented my rear passenger door in, hitting the black trim I suppose.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v457/liquidtiger720/DSC03156Large2.jpg

Alexlind123
02-11-2006, 01:09 AM
The % button should be above your "5" button, you press "shift" and "5" together to create a nifty little "%" symbol. Im not sure 99.8% lease, at least where i am, but perhaps nearly that many take out a loan to buy a car (which i find to be sort of silly). But yes, hardly anyone gives a thought about what the concept of "someone elses property" might mean. People can bash their doors against brick walls all they want, but i would love it if they would stay away from others.

632 Regal
02-11-2006, 01:13 AM
%%%%%% 5 %% thats percent? looks to be the opposite of what my $lut wants now...hmm %

Alexlind123
02-11-2006, 01:21 AM
Sometimes i think about an obese welfare woman extricating herself from her '88 taurus with McDonalds food wrappers littering the floor. Oblivious, the woman will swing her massive blubber out of the car. Too concerned with trying to breath through her lard constricted throat and the thought of the dozen twinkies that she will use her food stamps on for lunch, the dirty-offwhite/primer of her door will be catupulted into her unsuspecting victim's car. She will waddle into the store without a backward glance or second thought. These are the sort of people i would find amusing to trip and watch struggle helplessly like a turtle on its back, entrapped by the last few thousand twinkies and big macs that passed into their pasty maw.

uscharalph
02-11-2006, 01:44 AM
I love my BMW and all, but sometimes you gotta just let it go. Thank God I've got a garage now. I know my neighbor at my old apartment (With a carport) dinged my door.

632 Regal
02-11-2006, 01:58 AM
you really dont have an idea of what my $lut or any of my women look like...not obese or physical challanging, pm me and ill send you some. Ask Kriss if you have questions.

liquidtiger720
02-11-2006, 11:29 AM
You guys should try parking in San Francisco...bumpers are gone in about a year or so...scratched up and pitted to death.

My slut is > your slut Jeff.

New Owner 95 E34
10-12-2006, 09:31 PM
AMEN brotha! Preach on! Preach on!

I TOTALLY agree on this point.

uscharalph- I hear ya- it's only a car, and I've got it. I think it's more the PRINCIPLE of the thing that pisses most of us off... like was stated earlier... the total lack of regard for others that leads to the majority of door dings.

I swear... during our first year of marriage, my wife probably almost left me on a few occasions because of my reactions to her door-opening techniques, but a few tense conversations and several months later, I think I had her well trained. She is now very careful about how she opens the doors, although it's probably an effort to not piss me off more than it is an effort to protect our door edges and others' doors! Oh well... sometimes, the ends justify the means, right? ;)

pundit
10-12-2006, 10:19 PM
Well after I came back from Hong Kong I found my car with a ding in the driver's door.
Long term airport carparks are as bad as shopping center carparks.

The other thing that pisses me off is women who 'demist' windows with the back of their hand... whilst wearing diamond rings!
I had to replace two windscreens in 12 months thanks to an 'ex' who just didn't get IT! :(

angrypancake
10-12-2006, 11:09 PM
i always park in front of the house, and the rat bastard neighbors always play football, one day they put a HUGE dent in my door. it's ok cause i got my revenge when his mother got me drunk on purpose.......

but seriously, i keep a razor scooter in the back seat, and park allllll the way in the end of the parking lot when i go to stores. it's fun because i get to stay a toys-r-us kid and play on a scooter, and keep the car safe.

Alexlind123
10-12-2006, 11:39 PM
i keep a razor scooter in the back seat, and park allllll the way in the end of the parking lot when i go to stores.

You're my hero.

angrypancake
10-13-2006, 12:07 AM
You're my hero.

<3

Mr._Graybeard
10-13-2006, 01:02 AM
Sometimes i think about an obese welfare woman extricating herself from her '88 taurus with McDonalds food wrappers littering the floor.

Sorry, but IME that image isn't quite right. I was sitting in my car one afternoon in a parking lot when a large late-model Cadillac pulled into the adjoining space and a well-heeled 50-ish broad swung her door out hard enough to rock my car. (With sport springs!) I got out and confronted her -- she looked flabbergasted. Like she slams her door into adjoining cars every day and hadn't had any complaints up to now!

It's the wealthy wannabes with leased cars to which they have no financial or emotional connection. At least, that's whom I'd blame if I were gonna make a sweeping generalization....

Yiorgos
10-13-2006, 01:42 AM
I've had a shitbox Peugeot 306 park next to me when I was at the laundromat a few months ago, I was in the car listening to music (waiting for clothes to dry is so boring) and I hear a BANG, turn around and it was this poofter of a guy coming out of his passenger seat of his wife's shitbox Pug.

I opened the door and got out and asked him "What the **** did you do?" and he just said "Oh our mirrors must have just hit each other, nothing major". "I should ****ing hope so arsehole" was my response, to which he replied "Well I just told you it was." He then trotted away quick smart.

I would've rip off my own mirror and then proceed to smack him around with it, repeatedly asking "is this nothing major?", but then I forced myself to calm down as I didn't want legal trouble for assault or anything like that. I still remember his gay moustache, made him look like a pedo.

It really shits me when people basically don't give a rat's ass and swing their doors willy-nilly, smacking into anything that's in its way. I know it's just a car, and that dings and scratches are eventually inevitable, but for goodness sake that's not permission to be careless. I was always taught to watch out when opening car doors, if not to scratch the other guy's car, then to not damage ours, why can't all people think like this?

KenB
10-13-2006, 06:37 AM
I don't know how many times I tried to park away from all morons only to come back and find one parked 6 inches away when there were plenty of spaces with the rest of them.

Runaway shopping carts are the pits, parked next to a brand new MB SUV thinking I'd be safe. Before I got out of the car, the owner came back and pulled out 3 seconds later, a shopping cart rolling about 20mph downhill slammed into my rear passenger door. AAAARRRRGGGGHHH!!

mitch2k
10-13-2006, 08:16 AM
Only park in parking lots with this sign:
http://www.carcurtain.com/bmw_jpg.jpg

Ross
10-13-2006, 09:04 AM
Recently my GF came out of work to find a note left on her windshield appologizing for a ding left on her car when a gust of wind took someone elses door into our old van. Unfortunately it was indistinguishable from the thousand others left by the careless ****s who park near her everyday.
We called the woman and thanked her for offering to pay but declined.
There are still SOME responsible folks apparently.
There are foam strips available with that flexible magnet stuff like on 'fridge magnets that you can stick on the side of your parked car too. I have a set, they look dumb but work well.
If you have something worth protecting I guess you need to be defensive and park out of the way. IN ONE SPACE!

RobPatt
10-13-2006, 10:29 AM
... and around here in Mississippi, no upscale towns with BMWs, MBs, etc... this 525 is one of the sharpest cars around... (there is an E34 M5 I see on occasion....)

So when the majority of other vehicles are POSs or work trucks, or the leased and don't care SUVs... I'm careful where I drive to.

I take it to and from work where I know the parking lot, etc.

Going to Wally world, the mall (sucks anyway), movies (rarely), home depot, etc etc... I take the 4Runner.

Guess that's why the 4Runner's just went over 100K nearly catching the BMW's 143K in just 3 years.... ??

So I'm very careful not just where I park in a lot, but what parking lots I'm taking it to... hell I don't even like to take it to certain gas stations....

still got my share of dings though...

But what really really pisses me off are when the landscaping guys come around mowing and blowing and twigs and every darn thing gets all over the damn car... not just my car but all of them... i understand, but still pisses me off "we're going to cut the grass now, so prepare for your cars to all look like crap in a few hours...."

angrypancake
10-13-2006, 11:03 AM
i'm going to start wrapping my car in bubble wrap.

attack eagle
10-13-2006, 01:53 PM
Door dings piss me off. For someone to so carelessly swing their door open into someone elses car without thinking twice and walking away is inexscusable. I have seen this happen many times in parking lots starting as a young child, walking to and from the car with my mother; up to now, seeing the evidence on my own car. I have always thought these actions to be utterly careless and asinine and can honestly say that i have never inflicted a door ding on someone elses car, no matter the tightness of the lot.

If, while walking toward my car, i ever see someone "ding" my car, i will either confront them and demand payment for damages up front or quietly let the air out of their tires after they leave (depending on the size of the offender).

The worst part about door dings is the feleing of helplessness that comes with them. The only thing i can do is park in an end space to limit possible damage to one side and hope for the best. I would rather run into a curb or something than be "dinged" because it would be something i did myself that i could have prevented be being more careful. Dents cannot be removed either, unless the whole door is replaced, which would be silly for a little dent or two and would not stop the problem in any case.

I take two parking spots whenever i go to the doctor's or walmart... And often throw the car cover on. So far no door dings, though i did have words with a walmart cart attendent. He said I "couldn't park like that". I informed him it apparently was physically possible since I had, and there was no posted signage to say that I SHOULDN'T or COULDN'T. IN fact there was Posted signage indicating that protecting my vehicle was completely up to me. I told him that if walmart was willing to sign a legal document stating they would pay to repair my vehicle I would take only one spot. Or If the general manager were to come outside and watch my car i would take one spot. He was flabbergasted that I would correct his poor english and lecture him, but they have never said anything to me again. NO one else has ever said anything. they probably think I'm some king of bigwig drug dealer or something.

attack eagle
10-13-2006, 02:06 PM
... and around here in Mississippi, no upscale towns with BMWs, MBs, etc... this 525 is one of the sharpest cars around... (there is an E34 M5 I see on occasion....)

man I dunno where in MS you are, but my first job was working on MB's BMWs, Porsches, etc in Meridian. And in Jackson there are oobgoobs of them.

tdgard
10-13-2006, 04:29 PM
i'm going to start wrapping my car in bubble wrap.

Ha two posts exactly alike.

Like this?

nizmainiac
10-13-2006, 05:34 PM
carry a sledge hammer in the boot, revenge is sweet:)

Ross
10-14-2006, 07:31 AM
Taking two spots is just asking for it bud.
Some MG driver regrets taking two spots years ago in a crowded lot after some buddies and I picked it up and balanced it on a median at the front of the row where the ******* was parked. Passers by APPLAUDED!

Russell
10-14-2006, 07:46 AM
I Agree that you are just asking for it. You are lucky that no one has "keyed" your car or worse. That said, i have thought about doing it many times.

I just park as par away I as I feel like walking that particular day. So far fairly lucky. I have used paintless dent removal a couple of time.

Now it if could find some one to repair a few hood chips without a repaint.

CamaroM60
10-14-2006, 09:09 AM
get a life junior! take up two spots or shoot yourself