PDA

View Full Version : Over the top 5?

1995 525i
02-10-2006, 08:48 AM
You be the judge. Not sure I'd care to own it ,but someone might.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/BMW-525I-1991-Automatic-trans-V6-2-5-liter-engine_W0QQitemZ4611593068QQcategoryZ6008QQrdZ1QQc mdZViewItem

Alexlind123
02-10-2006, 09:04 AM
Other than the fact that i detest wide-body kits in any way, shape, or form, it seems to be OK.

DueyT
02-10-2006, 09:21 AM
Well, given what it is, it actually seems well done...I never thought you could make an E34 look like a 944, but it seems you can!

angrypancake
02-10-2006, 10:06 AM
bid at 8,000 and reserve not yet met. i dont know about all that. granted it took a lot of work. imo? the wing sucks. i love the color of the paint, but did they not completely do the engine bay? it looks like the strut towers are beige-ish. color matched wheels are a little over the top. Overall though, despite the negatives i like the car. wouldn't buy it, ESPECIALLY because it's in astoria, queens, and you couldnt pay me to buy a NYC car.

Springfield1952
02-10-2006, 10:07 AM
Why would anyone spend all that money on a 525 automatic? The classic example of a sheep in wolf's clothing. I notice his 525 is one of those rare V6 models according to his description - maybe that makes it worthwhile to dump all those $ into the car :p !

Curt.

angrypancake
02-10-2006, 10:11 AM
he's got the zm5 badge. +20hp. and this quote: New Angel Eye European headlights, Only one in the United States, One of a kind....

so, either he's got the only set of angel eyes in the country... or he's got the only 525 in the US.... either way. and he didn't even put clear corners in! boooooo

edit: i guess i shouldnt be too hard on him. we try to stress the "to each his own" thing here on the board. i bet that guy is happy every time he gets in the car to go to work, so props to him.

double edit: those pictures were definitely taken in the summer-ish, the foliage is way too nice for what NY looks like right now. i wonder what the car looks like now?

Jon K
02-10-2006, 10:12 AM
I know the owner of the car and have seen it several times at Bimmerfest among other shows. The owner had intentions of going S38 turbo and decided to do bodywork first. Its a zeemax widebody kit and is in perfect shape in person - at least when I last saw it. It needs to be much lower to pull of the aggressive front end but that can be remedied. I really like that kit.

What he meant about it being the only one in the united states is that it IS the only Zeemax Widebody E34 in the united states - this is factual.

1995 525i
02-10-2006, 10:31 AM
I know the owner of the car and have seen it several times at Bimmerfest among other shows. The owner had intentions of going S38 turbo and decided to do bodywork first. Its a zeemax widebody kit and is in perfect shape in person - at least when I last saw it. It needs to be much lower to pull of the aggressive front end but that can be remedied. I really like that kit.

What he meant about it being the only one in the united states is that it IS the only Zeemax Widebody E34 in the united states - this is factual.

John, I'll take your car any day of the week and twice on Sunday over that one. No offense to him as it obviously took a lot of effort.

Michael

Torque
02-10-2006, 10:35 AM
I like it. It's something different.

kyleN20
02-10-2006, 11:49 AM
the sadest part is the amount of money sunk into it. the thing is the e34 already has one of the most beautiful shapes a car has ever had, its the best looking sedan iv seen in a long time (though i do like the new 300C SRT8) and when you try to improve on it to much the results can be horrible.

Jon K
02-10-2006, 11:53 AM
I bet his reserve is super duper high - I know the body kit, not installed or painted (which is real labor intensive as you have to mold the quarter panels on) is $3500 - $4000 by itself. Add paint and install it's probably a $7000 - $8000 bodykit.

1995 525i
02-10-2006, 12:59 PM
I bet his reserve is super duper high - I know the body kit, not installed or painted (which is real labor intensive as you have to mold the quarter panels on) is $3500 - $4000 by itself. Add paint and install it's probably a $7000 - $8000 bodykit.

For that kind of money I'll be on the look out for a used M5 or M540....

HDhandyman
02-10-2006, 01:07 PM
I stumbled accross this one on ebay too. Tell you the truth, I think he can ask whatever he wants--even if it only had that custom paint job. It's super nice. My only qualm is the fact that it's not a 5 speed. I think after all that expense, if I were the purchaser of the car it would betrothe me to have to drop another 2,000 bucks so that the transmission equaled the body style.

BTW, what's wrong with a straight up automatic 525i ?

Stephen

Jay 535i
02-10-2006, 01:21 PM
If the car's performance justified the extra width and air management goodies (assuming they even do anything), then I'd give it a thumbs up.

But to do that to a completely stock 525 is just plain dumb.

Given the choice between performance mods and body kits, I think we'd all do the former before the latter. Otherwise yer just a poseur.

1995 525i
02-10-2006, 02:29 PM
If the car's performance justified the extra width and air management goodies (assuming they even do anything), then I'd give it a thumbs up.

But to do that to a completely stock 525 is just plain dumb.

Given the choice between performance mods and body kits, I think we'd all do the former before the latter. Otherwise yer just a poseur.

Couldn't have said it better myself.

Jon K
02-10-2006, 02:37 PM
Jay535i and 1995_525i you guys are freaking me out with similar sig pics I keep thinking youre talking to yourself(ves)

1995 525i
02-10-2006, 02:44 PM
Jay535i and 1995_525i you guys are freaking me out with similar sig pics I keep thinking youre talking to yourself(ves)

I wish I had those rims! I'm going to take some new pics this weekend cause my sig doesn't show the shadowline trim I have now.

Jay..hope you ain't cryin since he thought your car was mine. :D

Jay 535i
02-10-2006, 03:04 PM
Heh, not at all. I was going to say, though, "the rims, the rims!!".

Your car's nice. Why would I mind? So he overlooked the rims. So what?

I totally love my rims. I can't wait until the weather improves and I can put 'em back on. At the moment I've got the stock wheels on, like you have.

Please do post your shadowline pics. I'm still on the fence about it. I may do one side of my car and see how I like it. I'm convinced it's the thing to do on lighter colored cars, but I'm not sure about on a black car.

I know your car is blue, but it's close enough to black in the pics to help me decide.

EDIT: Nah, I think the Style 5 rims, black bodywork and chrome trim are a nice combination. I don't think I'll change it. But post pics anyway :)

Paul in NZ
02-10-2006, 03:36 PM
what colour is your car Jay....heres a shadowline view from the side

http://www.bimmer.info/bmw/kiwi535/manfeildjun05.jpg

Jay 535i
02-10-2006, 03:44 PM
Plain black (not metallic black).

Thanks for the pic. It confirms my original thinking: that a black car needs some brightwork to bring out the lines and keep it from looking like a big black blob. I also think the brightwork compliments my Style 5 rims.

IMHO the fully blacked-out E34 looks like a 518 European taxi. Just my opinion.

Nice sport seats, though. I do wish I had those.

Kobe Diesel
02-10-2006, 04:46 PM
I, too, live in Astoria, Queens, and know of this car. It's actually 7 blocks away from me. This car was a labor of love to the owner. Definitely not my style, but the overall work to this car is well done. The lines of the car with the kit flow nicely.

Summer time, I rolled up on him on a local parkway looking for a little action, and he didnt give me any notice. He babies it. You have to on shitty roads.