PDA

View Full Version : M30 aftermarket cam: have you got one?

Kalevera
02-10-2006, 01:11 AM
Guys,

In pulling down Fritz's head for a rebuild, I found unacceptable cam lobe and rocker wear. The rockers are getting replaced, I figured I'd drop a feeler for any kind of aftermarket cam; otherwise I'll pull a stocker out of something else.

PM me if you've got something.

best, whit

mholbrook
02-10-2006, 08:26 AM
Place in San Diego, Schneider Cams, that regrinds stock cams into mild to wild. Just a thought. Don't know their web address or phone etc. I once had my cam reground for my 2002. Think I went from 172 to 184 which is pretty mild for that car. Cost was pretty reasonable too.

Martin in Bellevue
02-10-2006, 10:14 AM
The dyno reported a swap of a few ft-lb's down low to up high with the regrind. It doesn't quite run out of breathe to redline anymore (with the right afm-replacement profile). Ireland's regrind is $190 +$100 core. I'd suggest the bigger eccentrics with the regrind. New stock eccentrics lay down pretty far with my regrind.

I've only heard good things about the schrick 284. VAC motorsport doesn't offer an alternative to the schrick, as they like it that much. Jeff found a schrick for $410, I think, somewhere.

Robin-535im
02-10-2006, 11:09 AM
Guys,

In pulling down Fritz's head for a rebuild, I found unacceptable cam lobe and rocker wear. The rockers are getting replaced, I figured I'd drop a feeler for any kind of aftermarket cam; otherwise I'll pull a stocker out of something else.

PM me if you've got something.

best, whit
I've got a "mild regrind" on mine, dunno what the specs are, it's a Bav Engine Exchange product.

This particular setup has pretty good low-mid grunt (2.5k - 5k) but less up top than stock. Really drops off after 5-5.5k, but that could be a number of things besides the cam. I've also got a 3.91 rear end, so that helps with the feeling of more torque.

Kalevera
02-11-2006, 12:06 AM
Thanks for the info, guys. If I have it reground, I'll send it off to Leo at Memphis as he does all of our machine work and one of a few in the industry that can be trusted. I trust shrick, but not VAC or their opinion.

I was hoping someone had something "sitting around". Oh well, guess it's time for another stocker.

best, whit

EDIT: make that memphis. I always confuse the two. Jeeze.

632 Regal
02-11-2006, 12:44 AM
I have a cam but it probably wont fit and at 303@.050 wouldnt idle under 3000rpms..785 lift would need a file to make the valves stop hitting too,
Thanks for the info, guys. If I have it reground, I'll send it off to Leo at Midwest as he does all of our machine work and one of a few in the industry that can be trusted. I trust shrick, but not VAC or their opinion.

I was hoping someone had something "sitting around". Oh well, guess it's time for another stocker.

best, whit

Jeff N.
02-11-2006, 01:12 AM
...just curious.

Thanks for the info, guys. If I have it reground, I'll send it off to Leo at Midwest as he does all of our machine work and one of a few in the industry that can be trusted. I trust shrick, but not VAC or their opinion.

best, whit

632 Regal
02-11-2006, 01:15 AM
question is?