PDA

View Full Version : Somebody please check P/N32342228230

dmenheere
02-09-2006, 10:00 AM
I've emailed this to Patrick at BMA and gotten a price of ~$276. The steering wheel is used on the E36's from the 318i to M3 but I think the price is to good to be true.

Could somebody please take a look before I go and order this.

tia,

Dave Menheere

Dave M
02-09-2006, 10:38 AM
From realoem.com

Part Cross-reference
Part 32342228230 (LEATH.M SPORTS STRNG WHL BLACK/BLACK) was found on the following vehicles:

E36: Details on E36
E36 318i CONVERTIBLE
E36 318i SEDAN
E36 318is COUPE
E36 318ti COMPACT
E36 323i CONVERTIBLE
E36 323i COUPE
E36 328i COUPE
E36 328i CONVERTIBLE
E36 328i SEDAN
E36 M3 COUPE
E36 M3 SEDAN
E36 M3 CONVERTIBLE

Z3: Details on Z3
Z3 Z3 2.8 ROADSTER
Z3 Z3 M COUPE
Z3 Z3 M ROADSTER

Dave M

dmenheere
02-09-2006, 11:11 AM
I was hoping somebody had seen this steering wheel in their travels. I got the P/N from Realoem and the picture shows a nice 3 spoke M wheel with airbag and everything for ~$362 ... BMA gave me a price of $276. Seems very cheap when compared against other 3 spoke E36 wheels from the dealer.

any thoughts,

Dave Menheere

hakwuzhere
02-09-2006, 02:15 PM
Ttiwwop!!!

DanH
02-09-2006, 02:57 PM
i think the point is that he is looking for pictures of it...

Ttiwwop!!!

Scott H
02-09-2006, 03:08 PM
that is important here....

I was hoping somebody had seen this steering wheel in their travels. I got the P/N from Realoem and the picture shows a nice 3 spoke M wheel with airbag and everything for ~$362 ... BMA gave me a price of $276. Seems very cheap when compared against other 3 spoke E36 wheels from the dealer.

any thoughts,

Dave Menheere

dmenheere
02-09-2006, 03:28 PM
Sorry I should have explained myself better ... can't everybody read my mind :) Yes pictures would be great ... I'll try calling the dealer and see if they know anything.

cheers,

Dave Menheere

Scott H
02-09-2006, 03:30 PM
and do you want to retain the airbag or not.

Sorry I should have explained myself better ... can't everybody read my mind :) Yes pictures would be great ... I'll try calling the dealer and see if they know anything.

cheers,

Dave Menheere

dmenheere
02-09-2006, 04:03 PM
Production date is 10/90

It has the later steering column I believe.

Dave Menheere

Scott H
02-09-2006, 04:33 PM
theoretically the changeover was 9/90 but there were some instances of old stuff laying around and being put in the M5s for the US market. If you have a column that you can adjust in and out it's the later style.

I have never seen the three thick spoke wheel you are looking at get installed in an E34. You need to make sure the airbag is compatible with our SRS I modules and that it is included in the part/price you were given. I believe the one you are looking at is SRS II.

This wheel was on many euro model M5s but I'm not sure about it's compatibility to pre 5/94 US cars.
http://www.realoem.com/bmw/showparts.do?model=HC91&mospid=47387&btnr=32_0704&hg=32&fg=35

The wheel that is most compatible with the E34 M5 is the E36 M3 four spoke wheels from '97 and '98. The wheel with proper contact ring will fit, and the airbag you already have will bolt right in. This wheel is thicker, smaller, and has tri-stripe stitching.

I have 6/90 build M5 and use the M-Tech II tri-spoke wheel in it, but lose my airbag functionality.

Production date is 10/90

It has the later steering column I believe.

Dave Menheere

dmenheere
02-09-2006, 08:41 PM
I did some searching on ebay and found the same wheel ...

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/BMW-E36-M3-Evo-SRS-Steering-Wheel-Airbag-Slip-Ring_W0QQitemZ4609644462QQcategoryZ10374QQrdZ1QQcm dZViewItem

I hope this works.

Its funny that you can buy these new cheaper then they sell on ebay?

cheers,

Dave Menheere

Scott H
02-09-2006, 08:57 PM
you seem to disregard everything we are telling you. That is an SRS II wheel and the airbag will not work

Plenty of E34 owners have stepped to the plate before you to do steering wheel swaps.

I'm glad I wasted my time trying to help you out.

I did some searching on ebay and found the same wheel ...

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/BMW-E36-M3-Evo-SRS-Steering-Wheel-Airbag-Slip-Ring_W0QQitemZ4609644462QQcategoryZ10374QQrdZ1QQcm dZViewItem

I hope this works.

Its funny that you can buy these new cheaper then they sell on ebay?

cheers,

Dave Menheere

dmenheere
02-10-2006, 05:30 AM
Thanks Scott,

I am not ignoring your advice, I am aware of the problems as I have read about the Jon K experience with the whole E46 wheel fiasco and the dual trigger airbags in the SRS II wheels. I believe the one airbag, whether it be low impact or high impact bag, will still plug directly into the body harness of the car. If it doesn't it wouldn't be that hard to solder a connector to either airbag trigger. I do not know whether I will go forward with this right now.

I do know my car is a later build date with the larger struts and the 18 mm nut on the wheel so the E36 wheels will fit. I always wear my seatbelt and since the airbag is meant as a supplementary restriant system I am willing to take the risk.

I am aware that the 4 spoke wheel from the M3 is a direct bolt on but my airbag is not that pretty anyway ... the car spent the majority of its life in New Mexico/Arizona which has beat up the finish ... plus it has 228,000+ miles (~367,000 km) on it, and I was hoping to replace it with something prettier.

Sorry if I ignored you but I was just surprized that an M3 wheel could be bought that cheaply ... maybe I will look for the pricing on an older wheel that wouldn't be as much problem to install.

Once again thank you for all your help,

Dave Menheere

Scott H
02-10-2006, 09:03 AM
You never responded directly to any content I provided and you never stated that you DON'T care if the airbag works properly, which left me with the impression that you were going ahead full steam without regard to these factors. The connectors are not the same so I wouldn't expect that when you get your wheel (if it really comes with an airbag)

That being said, there is a guy in Chicagoland here who has that steering wheel in his M5 but the airbag is non-operational.

Good luck with it!
Scott

Thanks Scott,

I am not ignoring your advice, I am aware of the problems as I have read about the Jon K experience with the whole E46 wheel fiasco and the dual trigger airbags in the SRS II wheels. I believe the one airbag, whether it be low impact or high impact bag, will still plug directly into the body harness of the car. If it doesn't it wouldn't be that hard to solder a connector to either airbag trigger. I do not know whether I will go forward with this right now.

I do know my car is a later build date with the larger struts and the 18 mm nut on the wheel so the E36 wheels will fit. I always wear my seatbelt and since the airbag is meant as a supplementary restriant system I am willing to take the risk.

I am aware that the 4 spoke wheel from the M3 is a direct bolt on but my airbag is not that pretty anyway ... the car spent the majority of its life in New Mexico/Arizona which has beat up the finish ... plus it has 228,000+ miles (~367,000 km) on it, and I was hoping to replace it with something prettier.

Sorry if I ignored you but I was just surprized that an M3 wheel could be bought that cheaply ... maybe I will look for the pricing on an older wheel that wouldn't be as much problem to install.

Once again thank you for all your help,

Dave Menheere

dmenheere
02-10-2006, 01:47 PM
Here is a link to an install into a 95 540i

http://forums.bimmerforums.com/forum/showthread.php?t=337149&highlight=e36+steering+wheel+install

You are right about the airbag not coming with the wheel.

cheers,

Dave Menheere