PDA

View Full Version : fuse #20 - Instrument Cluster

Decius
02-09-2006, 04:07 AM
A few days ago while starting up in the morning i smelt that electrical burning smell in the cabin. My tacho stopped working and the lights on the bottom of the instrument cluster went out.

I checked the fuses, #20 was blown.. replaced.. blew again, so i unplugged the Instrument cluster and started.. the fuse was fine.

With the Cluster back in I increased to a 10 amp fuse over a 7.5 amp... and that blew aswell

I had a look around inside the Instrument Cluster and i cant see any sign of damage...

Has anyone had a problem like this before?? i dont know where to start

Cheers,
Dan

BigKriss
02-09-2006, 04:09 AM
Obviously there is a short somewhere. Javiar would know for sure.

Javier
02-09-2006, 08:06 AM
F20 feeds Cluster, CCM, IHKR (A/C), Chime module, and OBC.

First you have to verify if the fault is actually inside cluster. For that, unplug all devices and start connecting them back one by one until fuse blows. You can install a lamp in place of the fuse and determine fault presence by the high glowing. If the fault is still there with all modules removed, then you have a wiring damage (This is the best it could happen to you, as it would be a easy fix).

If it is the cluster it self, then debugging will depend on your electronic skills, typical components that cause this are filtering caps connected from feeding line to ground, but it is not the only possible case.

Javier

PS: You should be loosing more that your tach.

Decius
02-09-2006, 05:41 PM
yes, i forgot to mention that my temperature gauge is not working
and my fuel gauge isnt either.. but it never really was anyway.

The main cluster lights work fine and the Speedo is working fine..
and my radios stuck on PPPP.. i will do a search for this though

Javier
02-09-2006, 08:42 PM
If cluster has no power, you can not read the code plug from the OBC.

Javier