PDA

View Full Version : aussies: Beetos' car for sale?

angrypancake
02-09-2006, 12:10 AM
Don't know why I was on ebay australia in the first place but I came across this:

beetos' turbo 535 (http://cgi.ebay.com.au/BMW-535i-Turbo_W0QQitemZ4610788117QQcategoryZ84599QQssPageN ameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem)

kyleN20
02-09-2006, 12:18 AM
wow, 700hp, gotta be hurtin to sell somthing that powerful

BigKriss
02-09-2006, 12:29 AM
yep, it's his car! I wish I could afford it!

1988 BMW 535i

Australian delivered car with rego till July. Extensive engine modification as documented in Zoom magazine article, Australia’s Kilowatt Kings’. A copy of the article can be seen at the link. I have the original magazine available (that I am keeping). Car can be daily driver and never overheats in traffic.

http://servo.postverket.us/alex/BMW.pdf (http://servo.postverket.us/alex/BMW.pdf)

I bought the car in October in WA and have since done the following (see further on for details):

-Revised fuel system and re-tuned Haltech
-Overhauled brakes
-Fixed oil leaks
-Fitted wideband system
-Replaced plugs and wires.

When built, the engine made 700hp. Current output is expected to be slightly higher as it now runs 20psi to the red line of 6100 rpm.

Engine
·Garret ball bearing GT30 A/R 0.7 water /oil cooled turbo.
·Custom exhaust manifold. Wastegate moved from location shown in Zoom article to allow easier plug access.
·3” dump pipe.

Some pics of the 3" dump pipe. I thought it was impossible to fit 3" in there with the steering columm in the way. I was wrong.

http://img217.imageshack.us/img217/4595/turbo5351small5ru.jpg
http://img217.imageshack.us/img217/9379/turbo5352small1ft.jpg
http://img202.imageshack.us/img202/7666/turbo535i4small3xz.jpg

Blow off-valve

http://img202.imageshack.us/img202/4724/turbo535i3small1ob.jpg

·Dual 2.5” exhaust system (no cats), 3 x straight through Magnaflow cans on each 2.5” branch.
·745i turbo block. 20 thou over-bored block and pistons. Aftermarket rods and crank.
·Forged pistons 7:1 CR.
·O Ringed head/block.
·Ported gas flowed head.
·Large custom front mounted intercooler.
·Extensively modified inlet manifold with 4 plate V-8 style throttle body on outboard side.
·Custom Wade cam.
·Fully balanced bottom end, spins very smoothly.
·No oil leaks, Burns no oil, Uses synthetic regularly.

Fuel & ignition management
·Controlled by a Haltech E6K standalone computer and 3 bar map sensor for load sensing.
·New 85lb/hr Rochester low impedance injectors (show very relaxed duty cycle at 20psi, 12.5:1 AFR).
·Six separate M&W coils operated via 2 x 3 channel M&W ignitors, new 8mm silicon wires and plugs.
·Ignition runs wasted spark.
·Injection runs multipoint off 3 injector drivers (injectors fire at once).
·Haltech speed sensor is via a custom position sensor mounted on old rotor shaft, distributor mounting location is blanked off.
·Bosch motorsport pump.
·New 2.5 bar pressure regulator.
·Old DOS laptop included in sale that can run of 12v and can tune in real time and datalog (lives in car).
·New Tech Edge wideband fitted with 1mb on board datalogging and new 52mm display mounted in. cabin. Narrow band 02 output fed to Haltech. Runs closed loop off wideband at idle and part throttle.
·VDO 30psi boost gauge mounted in cabin.

Drivetrain
·Custom organic extreme duty clutch by the Clutch Factory, Welshpool WA. Completely streetable and massively capable. Never ever slips.
·Getrag G260/6 5 speed manual transmission. Good condition, 1st to 2nd is a little hard, otherwise good.
·Rebuild LSD. Stock BMW differential.

Brakes & suspension
·Front callipers from a Porsche 928S4 (Brembo 4 piston) attached using custom brackets.
·Front discs from BMW 850ci.
·Rear brakes stock.
·Brakes recently completely overhauled with metal pads and resurfaced front rotors.
·Bilstiens all round with lowered springs. Upgraded bushes all round.

Exterior / other
·Schwartz black.
·Aplina rims.
·European body kit (essential for intercooler fit).
·Good overall condition. Body could do with some TLC to make mint.
·Black leather sports interior. Manual seats, excellent condition seats front and back. Full alarm.
·AC blows cold.

Other comments
·Needs prop shaft centre bearing (knocks when taking off in 1st and low speed in 2nd), confirmed bad and source of driveline knock.

·As stated in the Zoom article, the previous owner used 770cc pintle type injectors with a 3 bar stock regulator and a malpassi rising rate regulator. This was far from ideal and ran very poorly at idle and part throttle. Injectors used to be erratic under boost and it ran a very high duty cycle. I recent overhauled the fuel system to use a stock 2.5 bar pressure regulator and bigger injectors and drivability has improved dramatically.

The main reason for the improvement is that fuel pressure and pulse widths at idle are ok for the bigger Rochester disc type injectors and under boost there is a lot of headroom now with duty cycles remaining comfortable. It had been fully tuned for this set up. Idle is stable, and WOT runs 12.1:1 AFR to the red line. It should be noted that very very light part throttle sometimes induces some shunt because of very low injector pulse widths combined with multipoint injection.

Converting to sequential would remedy this and improve low speed dirvability further, but for the money and complexity of installing a new computer I considered it a luxury. It runs very good all round as is. The current fuel set up is ready for more boost and will support massive power if desired.

·Tires are worn and could do with changing. The reason I am not going to change them is so people can see how evenly they have worn. The suspension and steering is tight.

Some of the small dashboard backlights that illuminate the dash computer readouts are blown
·No accident damage

angrypancake
02-09-2006, 12:52 AM
Kriss, what is the rough conversion of AU $24k to USD?

motorman
02-09-2006, 12:58 AM
Thanks for all the info Kriss, it makes very interesting reading, and saving for future ref, wonder what he's doing for his next ride?

BigKriss
02-09-2006, 01:03 AM
www.xe.com is your friend. aus$25K = US$18.5K

1 AUD = 0.74 USD

motorman
02-09-2006, 01:05 AM
There's a shop in WA that is selling a second hand 745 turbo kit complete for about 600 or 800 AUD, saw it a while ago, it still might be there if you are interested.

rob101
02-09-2006, 02:02 AM
i wonder what he set the reserve at?

wingman
02-09-2006, 04:44 AM
i wonder what he set the reserve at?
I'd say it's pretty close to that 'buy it now' price. The car has obviously been a money pit so he'll want to recoup. Someone's going to get a track day rocket! Or a lot of speeding fines...

rob101
02-09-2006, 04:59 AM
I'd say it's pretty close to that 'buy it now' price. The car has obviously been a money pit so he'll want to recoup. Someone's going to get a track day rocket! Or a lot of speeding fines...
looks good, but I'd need tyre sponsor to afford to drive it anywhere :D 700 hp, i can't even imagine that much power

beetos
02-11-2006, 01:11 AM
Wish I could keep it lads but I am hurting for cash this / next month. have had much worse money pits I can tell you.

I have got a house deal I am trying to fund but am working on an 'alternative' plan so with any luck should be able to keep it but we will see how it goes. Not really fussed I if don't get what I want as I love the car to bits.

Its a shame as its running so well with the new injectors. They made a huge difference to the drivability round town. I absolutely killed a Monaro this morning on the Tonkin Highway so bad it was not funny. When a car gets twitchy in 3rd in on a hot day, you know its got balls!

beetos
02-11-2006, 01:12 AM
There's a shop in WA that is selling a second hand 745 turbo kit complete for about 600 or 800 AUD, saw it a while ago, it still might be there if you are interested.

I think thats Rubin at BMAuto. I remember seeing 745i turbo bits laying around his shop last week.

wingman
02-11-2006, 01:17 AM
Have you been assessed? You are criminally insane to build such a rocket then sell it. I understand the house thing though. I love buying houses. More than buying cars actually. Twitchy in 3rd!!! Life can be sweet. I hope you can keep it.

beetos
02-11-2006, 01:52 AM
Have you been assessed? You are criminally insane to build such a rocket then sell it. I understand the house thing though. I love buying houses. More than buying cars actually. Twitchy in 3rd!!! Life can be sweet. I hope you can keep it.

:) I hear you brother. But I have this thing called a 'wife' which is turning out to be more of a money pit than the car!

House prices in Perth are going crazy so we thought we better jump in while we could. I offered to live in the car but that did not go down to well. I think the 5 sleeps 2 pretty well:p