PDA

View Full Version : Aftermarket Springs, OEM Shocks... nono?...

hakwuzhere
02-09-2006, 12:10 AM
Ok, so cash is a bit tight ATM (well, its allocated :) stereo, SSK, new cell phone, ect...) But my car is in desperate need of a drop.

Im considering Vogtlands with the M5 3mm spacers on stock shocks... Ive been reading around, and the general feeling I get is that this is a bad thing... but how bad?... am I going to suddenly blow out the shocks after a month or two? will I be stoned by other BMW drivers?

Also, as a pretty non mechanically skilled person, how bad is the spring install? (Ive skimmed the writeup on bmw4life). Im trying to learn more about installing things myself... Im just more of a techno/computer geek.

angrypancake
02-09-2006, 12:57 AM
I have eibach springs and I think OEM shocks. I believe the general consensus is that for a relatively short amount of time, a few months or so, it won't be terrible. But over time it will start to mess things up. Come spring time I think a set of Koni's will go on there. And as a fellow non mechanically inclined (read: lazy as ****) person, the spring install isn't that bad with the proper tools (spring compressor). The writeup on bmw4life is very thorough and helpful. Glad to see the progress of the car, keep us posted.

motorman
02-09-2006, 01:24 AM
I have changed shocks and springs, not too hard, but you do need a really good pair of spring compressors to hold the spring whilst changing the shock as they are under a lot of pressure, (had one let go once and nearly lost two fingers, so use a good pair), you will need to compress the new spring to fit them and you MUST do them up evenly. You should use uprated shocks if you are fitting aftermarket springs that will lower the car, otherwise you will experience bottoming of the suspension, stiffer shocks help prevent this. Hope this help.
Cheers Mick

hakwuzhere
02-09-2006, 01:56 AM
Thanks guys... oh, and angrypancake... where can I get a script for Fukitol? what are the side effects?

onewhippedpuppy
02-09-2006, 07:13 AM
Why go to the trouble of doing it twice? Skip the stereo and just do the shocks at the same time, it'll be easy while you have it all apart. Plus you won't have your car riding like crap with your new springs and shot shocks.

Anthony (M5 in Calgary)
02-09-2006, 09:04 AM
Why go to the trouble of doing it twice? Skip the stereo and just do the shocks at the same time, it'll be easy while you have it all apart. Plus you won't have your car riding like crap with your new springs and shot shocks.

Good call. Koni Sport (best choice IMO) are only about U$185 each - shop around.

BTW, using OE dampers (shocks) with stiffer springs won't kill the dampers, they just can't keep the stiffer springs in check 'cuz they're not strong enough to resist the increased forces.

As said above, why do it twice? The job's easy enough, I did mine last weekend in about 4 hours. Get good spring compressors.

hakwuzhere
02-09-2006, 09:25 AM
The reason I wanted to split it up was to save for some Konis.... but as always... me trying to cut corners doesnt work... Looks like Im gonna order Boge or Bilstines when I order the Vogtlands next week.

If Im really unhappy in 6 or 8 mo's I figure I can still resell the Boge/Bils for at least some of what I paid for em.

ElNormo
02-09-2006, 11:02 AM
Also, as a pretty non mechanically skilled person, how bad is the spring install? (Ive skimmed the writeup on bmw4life). Im trying to learn more about installing things myself... Im just more of a techno/computer geek.

I did a rear spring swap out, and it wasn't too bad. The car was up on jack stands for about 2 weeks for one side. I'd work for a while, realize I didn't have a tool, or need to ask a question here... then I'd come back a few days later.

Once I had all the right tools (closed ended wrench is essential for disconnecting the suspension from the trailing arm), it took an afternoon to do the other side.

Norman

632 Regal
02-09-2006, 11:11 AM
usually with aftermarket springs you wont need a compressor to get the front back together.

brodee
02-09-2006, 11:43 AM
Don't use the 3mm pads with the Vogtlands, I did and ended up with 2.5" drop in the front. That extra 1/4" from the 9mm pads keeps you from rubbing.

Anthony (M5 in Calgary)
02-09-2006, 11:58 AM
The reason I wanted to split it up was to save for some Konis.... but as always... me trying to cut corners doesnt work... Looks like Im gonna order Boge or Bilstines when I order the Vogtlands next week.

If Im really unhappy in 6 or 8 mo's I figure I can still resell the Boge/Bils for at least some of what I paid for em.

When I was shopping, the Konis were the same price as Bilsteins locally. Never quoted Boge.

hakwuzhere
02-09-2006, 02:09 PM
The cheapest I see the Bilstiens right now is $398, the Koni's are $650 everywhere I look.

As to not going with the 3mm spacers... my car rides ultra high... I mean higher than any other E34 Ive seen... Heres a pic.

http://www.veeshanvault.org/gallery/albums/album34/My_E34_6_resized.jpg

mholbrook
02-09-2006, 02:30 PM
The Sachs kit may be the way to go. It is all matched up and works. I had a bad experience with Bilsteins and BavAuto springs. I have heard of many others with Bilstein problems with short springs. I have had 2 E34's with Konis and IMHO the Koni on the front at least is worth the extra money. I usually ran about 1/4 to 1/2 turn from full soft when new just driving around and that was perfect. At an autocross, I ran full hard and that was stiff. I once drove a 1000 miles one way 1/2 turn off soft and 1000 miles back 1/2 turn from full hard. That trip left me with the impression that 1/2 turn from full soft for trips and daily driving is the place to be. Others may have different opinions.

Anthony (M5 in Calgary)
02-09-2006, 04:33 PM
The cheapest I see the Bilstiens right now is $398, the Koni's are $650 everywhere I look.

As to not going with the 3mm spacers... my car rides ultra high... I mean higher than any other E34 Ive seen... Heres a pic.

http://www.veeshanvault.org/gallery/albums/album34/My_E34_6_resized.jpg

PM sent.

brodee
02-09-2006, 04:46 PM
As to not going with the 3mm spacers... my car rides ultra high... I mean higher than any other E34 Ive seen.

Mine was pretty high too, that's why I wanted to go with the 3mm pads in the first place.

http://www.tmdnet.com/album/albums/Cars/1992%20525M/normal_PICT2296.JPG

rreimund
02-09-2006, 05:28 PM
BTW, if you do work on it yourself, do yourself a favor, and get a proper spring compressor. I'm partial to these:
http://www.harborfreight.com/cpi/ctaf/displayitem.taf?Itemnumber=43753
http://www.harborfreight.com/cpi/photos/43700-43799/43753.gif

Because they don't swing around on you, like a rented set did on me a few weeks ago when doing my wife's suspension on her Trailblazer. I needed to take everything to my buddy who had one like the one above to finish it off, lest I lose a limb. If I had known that for a little bit more than I paid to rent the bad ones, i could have bought the good one, I wouldn't have bothered.. and considering I may only use this tool 3 or 4 times in it's lifetime, then it's money well spent.

- rick