PDA

View Full Version : Door check repair

djscoggins
02-08-2006, 09:43 PM
Hello everyone, I'm a newb to BMW but I have been over on Volvospeed for a while. I got my 94 525i 5spd today and so far I am enjoting it:)

I do however have a question about door check repair, I saw the repair on e34.net, but my check has broken off in the door. The write up says that He JB welded it for the write up repair. Id rather not do that. Is there another way to repair this, maybe a repair kit, if this is a common problem? I also have a Volvo 95 850 turbo and while door checks arent common to break other things are and sometimes there is an easy fix or sometimes even a repair kit. I want to repair this ASAP because I believe it has dented the door from the inside out.

Its good to see a repair and advice forum for these cars and I look foward to lots of future use!!!

Darrell

PS: does BMW still offer owners manuals for this vehicle? I looked at ebay with no luck.

ryan roopnarine
02-08-2006, 09:56 PM
the door brake itself is about $40. this is what the guy jb welded in this repair. it is now floating around inside your door. the other "repair" part, the bent door part, can be fixed one of two or three ways. one, it may be possible to fix it using the koala motorsport door brake aftermarket fix if it isn't too far gone. i think that might be an additional $40. another, if the damage is bad enough is to weld in or use (jb weld?) and fix the door, which will probably cost a bunch of money. a third (im not familiar with) is to use washers in a manner similar to the koala motorsport fix, if it isn't too far gone.

bfd
02-08-2006, 10:08 PM
Hello everyone, I'm a newb to BMW but I have been over on Volvospeed for a while. I got my 94 525i 5spd today and so far I am enjoting it:)

I do however have a question about door check repair, I saw the repair on e34.net, but my check has broken off in the door. The write up says that He JB welded it for the write up repair. Id rather not do that. Is there another way to repair this, maybe a repair kit, if this is a common problem? I also have a Volvo 95 850 turbo and while door checks arent common to break other things are and sometimes there is an easy fix or sometimes even a repair kit. I want to repair this ASAP because I believe it has dented the door from the inside out.

Its good to see a repair and advice forum for these cars and I look foward to lots of future use!!!

Darrell

PS: does BMW still offer owners manuals for this vehicle? I looked at ebay with no luck.

Check out Brett Anderson, BMW master tech, for a door brake fix:

http://www.koalamotorsport.com/parts-home.asp

As for owners manual, not cheap, but Brett sells those too:

http://www.koalamotorsport.com/lit.asp?s=5

Kalevera
02-08-2006, 10:23 PM
We sell a lot of door brakes. Hopefully, the brake itself is bad, and the sheet metal isn't damaged. If it is, buy the reinforcement plates with the new brake. We currently only sell them in stainless, but we'll probably start selling them in regular steel for those who want to weld and paint.

best, whit

Zeuk in Oz
02-08-2006, 10:44 PM
Just make sure that when you are putting in the new brake (check) that you take your time fiddling with it to get it into place - it is really quite tight to get it in there.

Whatever you do, don't force it as you might damage the window winder mechanism or window runners.

Ask me how I know ! :D

djscoggins
02-09-2006, 07:25 AM
Thanks guys! I ordered a plate and Im gonna try to use that for repair but if its not enough I know a good paint and body guy at work.

Darrell

1995 525i
02-09-2006, 08:36 AM
Thanks guys! I ordered a plate and Im gonna try to use that for repair but if its not enough I know a good paint and body guy at work.

Darrell

Bentley also makes a manual for the E34 that is pretty well respected. Here's the link:

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/0837603196/002-3728192-4987227?v=glance&n=283155

Michael

shadowpuck
02-13-2006, 10:27 PM
You might also consider getting the owner's manual at the dealer. My local dealer was able to get one for me for cheap - under $15....

If you are looking for a service manual, then the Bentley is the choice! :)