PDA

View Full Version : ::.. Misaligned glove compartment?

Qube
02-08-2006, 06:40 PM
http://mk29.image.pbase.com/u18/tcdoe/large/33000408.IMG_1571.jpg

Does everyone's look like this?

Alexlind123
02-08-2006, 06:44 PM
Im not seeing anything.

Qube
02-08-2006, 06:45 PM
Im not seeing anything.

Yep sorry. Come back in about 5 minutes :)

calmloki
02-08-2006, 06:47 PM
No. Unclip the two plastic clips at the hinge points, leave glove box empty and latched, realign clips. My money is on one of your clips being unlatched.
Tom Walrod

Qube
02-08-2006, 06:48 PM
No. Unclip the two plastic clips at the hinge points, leave glove box empty and latched, realign clips. My money is on one of your clips being unlatched.
Tom Walrod

I'll check tomorrow. This isn't my car, but mine looks like that so I thought I'd ask... sagging headliner... then sagging glovebox? lol

rjvital
02-08-2006, 06:56 PM
Mine looks exactly like that! I've taken it out several times and it always looks like that. I've become rather used to it now....
JasonV
92 525iA

ILoveMPower
02-08-2006, 07:35 PM
Mine is like that as well, it's a little less noticable with the wood grain however. It's like the only rattle in my whole interior :(

If anyone has a fix with some pics, do post!

-JK

kyleN20
02-08-2006, 08:49 PM
no

Kalevera
02-08-2006, 08:59 PM
Interesting new person theories here...

While the clips MAY solve some of the slant, it's a fairly typical problem as the cars age and if anyone has ever had to use the "Brett Anderson" method of opening the glove box. The metal frame warps, and then the thing will never close correctly.

I ended up using the frame and other associated parts from Drew Zacharda's 540/6 wreck to fix mine. It was a pain in the ass prior to that -- the box would squeak and rattle, and needed a certain "touch" to get it to close correctly.

best, whit

calmloki
02-08-2006, 09:21 PM
Interesting new person theories here...

While the clips MAY solve some of the slant, it's a fairly typical problem as the cars age and if anyone has ever had to use the "Brett Anderson" method of opening the glove box. The metal frame warps, and then the thing will never close correctly.

I ended up using the frame and other associated parts from Drew Zacharda's 540/6 wreck to fix mine. It was a pain in the ass prior to that -- the box would squeak and rattle, and needed a certain "touch" to get it to close correctly.

best, whit

whit,
Noticed when doing my cabin filter that one of the glovebox hinge latches was undone and that they can move from side to side on their mounting pins - if one of those pins was out of alignment (from a passenger kicking it or someone fighting a filter into place) could that be the cause of the misalignment? In that location it would be difficult to check whether the two hinge pins are in alignment fore and aft and up and down, but might be worth looking at. Just a new guy theory.
Tom Walrod

Karl
02-08-2006, 10:46 PM
Tom Walrod
My experience exactly. When I got the car a couple years ago, the glove box was so crooked I thought it was broken and got a replacement from the local wrecking yard. But the clips were just unlatched. Once I saw how they worked it was pretty simple to latch the box, align the clips, and latch the clips correctly.

wingman
02-09-2006, 04:51 AM
Mine too but not as bad. I even have (had) the rattle. I put a small self-adhesive foam 'dot' on the rubbing point. Instant silence.

athflying79
02-09-2006, 07:06 AM
Mine was pretty bad and is still not perfect, but after about 45 minutes of trial and error, it lines up pretty well now and does not make any noise.

onewhippedpuppy
02-09-2006, 07:16 AM
After having to beat my way into mine, it's never worked quite the same. After some adjustment it's not too bad, still rattles a bit. One of my clips in back didn't clamp down hard on the rod and caused a rattle, I wrapped duct tape around the rod and re-clamped it, made things nice and tight again.

Qube
02-09-2006, 09:35 AM
So it's not just me and the guy in the picture. Thanks for the suggestions. I'll probably leave it as is... I don't mind it much.

Cactuar
02-09-2006, 12:22 PM
http://www.jf3d.com/dedans.jpg

This is what mine looks like, was like that when I bought it. It has always bothered me but the glove compartment works fine at least. Quite a common problem it seems then.