PDA

View Full Version : Horn not working...Any guideline for trubleshooting?

Akhil
02-08-2006, 01:36 PM
Hi Bimmer Gurus,

I am here again with another question. Its been a while since my horn has n't working, but I just kept on ignoring that problem until now, since I never used it even when it was working. But today, it happand so, one A$$ was watching me coming from distance and talking on phone, but as soon as I came very close, he just pulled right in fromt of me, I had to brake really very hard to save his A$$. So I decided now I can't live without horn any more, with all these people talking on cell phone while drive and dreaming about other world. I need my horn to bring them back to this world. :p

Any way, Do you guys have any idea where should I start my trubleshooting? I had my steering /air bag thingy out without disconnecting the connectors, but could not find out how horn works and where its connectors are. Any insight will be helpful for me.

Thanks a lot in advance
Akhil

dacoyote
02-08-2006, 02:19 PM
fuse

632 Regal
02-08-2006, 02:35 PM
my horn is real damn loud and I use it as much as I can.

dacoyote
02-08-2006, 02:37 PM
my horn is real damn loud and I use it as much as I can.

JIAFPWASAI

Horns are for sissys....

632 Regal
02-08-2006, 02:41 PM
is that kawasaki backwards?

ever hold the horn down for a long time in a parking garage?

JIAFPWASAI

Horns are for sissys....

dacoyote
02-08-2006, 02:42 PM
is that kawasaki backwards? No.....

ever hold the horn down for a long time in a parking garage?

There has to be some funny story behind this....

632 Regal
02-08-2006, 02:48 PM
had all the windows open and the sunroof, Sal says its louder in the garage with the door closed.

There has to be some funny story behind this....[/QUOTE]

dacoyote
02-08-2006, 02:51 PM
had all the windows open and the sunroof, Sal says its louder in the garage with the door closed.

There has to be some funny story behind this....[/QUOTE]

I must be missing the funny part....

632 Regal
02-08-2006, 02:53 PM
Sigh....

I must be missing the funny part....[/QUOTE]

dacoyote
02-08-2006, 02:57 PM
Sigh....

Sigh my arse..... it wasn't funny man

Akhil
02-08-2006, 03:46 PM
seems something in steering wheel. When I took air bag out and puting it back some time horn blew by itself but after finishing that job did not work. Something seems like lose contact or sorta thing. If there any really some where I should be checking too?

Thanks
Akhil

Paul in NZ
02-09-2006, 03:14 AM
i dont know what wheel you have but mine horn stopped working and the fuse was ok.I just fiddled around anf the horn push came off.I poked around and put it alll back togeter how it seemed it should.And now it works

632 Regal
02-09-2006, 11:21 AM
if you have an airbag you should disconnect the battery before messing with the wheel.

from what you mention I think your right about something in the wheel because the horn blew upon assembly.

Akhil
02-09-2006, 02:05 PM
I heard something about SLIP RING. Is that slip ring for connecting horn connection or for air bag connection? And If my slip ring is bad then what is the procedure to replace without cousing SRS light truned on? Since I heard that resetiting SRS light is expensive, so I dont want to couse that.

Thanks

DanH
02-09-2006, 03:03 PM
There might be a relay for the horn too, I don't recall at the moment.

Also the wires have a habit of breaking in some parts of the car so check the connections at the horn.

Also, apply voltage directly to both horns to verify that they still work, although most likely only one would go bad a time.

seems something in steering wheel. When I took air bag out and puting it back some time horn blew by itself but after finishing that job did not work. Something seems like lose contact or sorta thing. If there any really some where I should be checking too?

Thanks
Akhil

Akhil
02-09-2006, 03:08 PM
putting steeting wheel/air bag componet togater, after finishing that job its worked few times until I didn't turn steering wheel. but after trurning wheel once it didn't not. Do you anu idea, how wire/connection works on rotating wheel without twisting its wire? I am guessing the mechanise to rotating connection have some problem.

Thanks
Akhil

DanH
02-09-2006, 03:33 PM
It sounds like you may have misaligned the connection while putting the wheel back on.
Otherwise it could be a bad slip ring(32331152896). Im not sure thats the correct part number, since its been a few years since I took off my steering wheel.

The best bet is to take it off again and check for a broken wires in the connector. I don't recall if it has a limited number of turns before breaking the connection, but that seems possible you had it turned too far one way when it was put back together.

putting steeting wheel/air bag componet togater, after finishing that job its worked few times until I didn't turn steering wheel. but after trurning wheel once it didn't not. Do you anu idea, how wire/connection works on rotating wheel without twisting its wire? I am guessing the mechanise to rotating connection have some problem.

Thanks
Akhil

Akhil
02-09-2006, 03:41 PM
slip ring is for the horn connection? I was thinking it is only for air bag, correct me if I am wrong. If I will have to replace slip ring, how hard is that job and how to do this job without cousing SRS light to come on?

Any instruction/ precaution ? Since you have exerince doing it even if long time ago, you will no better than who never did it. :)

Thanks
Akhil

DanH
02-09-2006, 06:08 PM
Sorry, but I don't remember exactly how everything was in there, so im not sure if the the horn just uses a sliding contact or if it uses wires through the slip ring. When I took it apart, I didn't replace the slip ring.

Try tracing the horn wires from the steering wheel button connection back and at some point you should find something abnormal. It may be obvious when you take it apart.
(Remove NEG batt. cable 10 minutes before that...)

slip ring is for the horn connection? I was thinking it is only for air bag, correct me if I am wrong. If I will have to replace slip ring, how hard is that job and how to do this job without cousing SRS light to come on?

Any instruction/ precaution ? Since you have exerince doing it even if long time ago, you will no better than who never did it. :)

Thanks
Akhil

Akhil
02-10-2006, 09:49 AM
I will try to do this weekend, let see whats the outcome, will let you guys know.

Akhil