PDA

View Full Version : Oxygen Sensor - highway robbery !

Zeuk in Oz
02-08-2006, 12:30 AM
Everything is still going OK since the head gasket replacement, however Nick (genphreak) reminded me that my Oxygen sensor might have been affected by the coolant leakage so I decided to price one at the dealer as I was picking up some new nylock nuts for my thrust arms.

AUD : $792-45 for an oxygen sensor.

BMA's price : AUD $157.82 plus freight. Say approx AUD $ 180

That equates to 4.4 X the price from BMA including shipping - unbelievable.

No wonder there are many old bimmers in Oz that are not being properly maintained.

Absolutely breathtaking !

rob101
02-08-2006, 12:35 AM
Everything is still going OK since the head gasket replacement, however Nick (genphreak) reminded me that my Oxygen sensor might have been affected by the coolant leakage so I decided to price one at the dealer as I was picking up some new nylock nuts for my thrast arms.

No wonder there are many old bimmers in Oz that are not being properly maintained.

~salivates over thought of even cheaper bmws because of mmmmm depreciation :p well mate we know the secret don't tell anyone you aren't loaded hehe;)

BigKriss
02-08-2006, 12:44 AM
Everything is still going OK since the head gasket replacement, however Nick (genphreak) reminded me that my Oxygen sensor might have been affected by the coolant leakage so I decided to price one at the dealer as I was picking up some new nylock nuts for my thrast arms.

a huh. I bet your kicking yourself for not ordering from BMA sooner. You will know if the 02 sensor is old if your engine doesn't perform as well or your getting higher than usuall fuel consumption. Maybe you should consider ditching the stock 02 sensor for a wideband item. Granted it won't do much for you becasue you are not tuning the car, however you can see the air / fuel ratios in real time (with an appropriate display). I'm going to follow this route. 02 sensor. (http://www.innovatemotorsports.com/products/lc1.php)

motorman
02-08-2006, 03:00 AM
You could test your oxygen senser with a digitial multimeter, on volts dc scale at idle and warmed up it should read about .4 of a volt, then get someone to give her a bit of rev's and she should read up to about .7 or .8 of a volt. If she does this, she's fine, spend the money on something else.
Cheers Mick