PDA

View Full Version : Tranny level issues

Elekta
02-07-2006, 01:01 PM
so,

AAMCO say it needs to be rebuilt, $2160 not including unknown hard parts, does include new torque converter.

With 36k warranty comes to $2602, with lifetime warranty $3904. Their tranny guy has the best zf bmw reputation in town, so it's not about the rebuilder.

His first inclination was that it acted like it was low on fluid. That's what my indy said too. However, they both put the car up on a lift hot and both times fluid puked out immediately. Now the symptoms are a little more pronounced from those two pukings.

Isn't the fluid level temperature sensitive? I thought you were supposed to start the car cold and do your fill at a certain temperature to get the level right. If that is the case, couldn't they be measuing level at too high a temperature.

Before I start to contemplate $3000 worth of tranny fixin or buy a donor M5 and make a full conversion, shouldn't I check it one more time?

I'm hoping Terry Sayther can sort this out with me.

any thoughts on temperature sensitive filling? Anyone? What's your favorite fluid?

best,

gng

632 Regal
02-07-2006, 01:06 PM
the temp is crucial, cant be too hot or too cool, if you stick your hand on the pan it should be unconmfortable but not burning hot.

engine has to be running and should go from reverse to low and back so that the trans goes into each gear, then put in park while idling and then checked.

If it was checked with the engine off your even lower on fluid than before causing the increased symptoms.

let us know how they checked it.

Elekta
02-07-2006, 01:36 PM
the temp is crucial, cant be too hot or too cool, if you stick your hand on the pan it should be unconmfortable but not burning hot.

engine has to be running and should go from reverse to low and back so that the trans goes into each gear, then put in park while idling and then checked.

If it was checked with the engine off your even lower on fluid than before causing the increased symptoms.

let us know how they checked it.

Engine off at the first place, not sure at AAMCO...checking now.

please baby please just be a level issue. What's the best fluid?

Scott H
02-07-2006, 01:47 PM
it's in the archives. Maybe he'll post it again after banging his head against the wall...... :D

Okay, scroll down....this post looks good....

http://www.bimmer.info/forum/showthread.php?t=1938&highlight=tranny+fluid+chart

Good luck on this issue!!!!

Engine off at the first place, not sure at AAMCO...checking now.

please baby please just be a level issue. What's the best fluid?

632 Regal
02-07-2006, 01:50 PM
530 zf 5hp-18 (what you have) takes dextron III, I used royal purple fluid which is full synthetic, bout 4 bux a court or less.

I believe you have found the problem.

ryan roopnarine
02-07-2006, 02:01 PM
if my transmission is down (by the dipstick) by 1/2 litre, i can usually eyeball it and get it just right and achieving a perfect fill by putting in about 200ml of cold transmission fluid (or less). tranny fluid expands a great deal when hot as opposed to cold. it needs to be adjusted (right now) so that at full hot, its at a perfect level (even if it pukes and acts difficult along the way). only once you get a perfect reading at operating temperature can anyone begin to diagnose any problems with your transmission.

632 Regal
02-07-2006, 02:07 PM
exactly.

only once you get a perfect reading at operating temperature can anyone begin to diagnose any problems with your transmission.

Elekta
02-07-2006, 02:08 PM
AAMCO guy says it was idling.

I think I need to go valley girl....for sure for sure.

It was definetely worse this morning at cold temp, and that's usually when shifts are tightest.

Scott H
02-07-2006, 02:12 PM
per what you VIN brings up???? I don't think you have 5HP-18. Just wanted to get that straight before looking for fluids.

AAMCO guy says it was idling.

I think I need to go valley girl....for sure for sure.

It was definetely worse this morning at cold temp, and that's usually when shifts are tightest.

Elekta
02-07-2006, 02:18 PM
per what you VIN brings up???? I don't think you have 5HP-18. Just wanted to get that straight before looking for fluids.

AAMCO says it's the 5HP-18.,.as have all others at this point.

632 Regal
02-07-2006, 02:23 PM
real oem says A5S310Z, whats the last 7 digits of your vin#?

Scott H
02-07-2006, 02:29 PM
I'm not well versed in auto trannies as you may guess (all 3 bimmers with manuals in my drive)....just posted what the ETK said when I ran your VIN.

AAMCO says it's the 5HP-18.,.as have all others at this point.

632 Regal
02-07-2006, 02:37 PM
yep, mine says the same number but its a 5hp-18 for sure.

I'm not well versed in auto trannies as you may guess (all 3 bimmers with manuals in my drive)....just posted what the ETK said when I ran your VIN.

ryan roopnarine
02-07-2006, 02:47 PM
remember, when somebody says "idle", the idle will take about 30 minutes to get the car up to operating temps (on everything, not just water temperature) if it wasn't driven beforehand. the recommended checking temperature is at the thermostat operating temp, 80c.

just curious, where is it puking out of, the vent tube?
i was going to ask if you had taken it up to 130 or 140 before this happened, that usually makes an OK car start puking if the level isn't precise beforehand.
then i remembered that you live in texas.

a better question that no one has asked yet.....did you have any transmission service done recently prior to the start of this problem.

Elekta
02-07-2006, 02:50 PM
Wbahk21050gf65231

Elekta
02-07-2006, 02:54 PM
a better question that no one has asked yet.....did you have any transmission service done recently prior to the start of this problem.

Yes, and I thought it was low right after.I didn't have Sayther do it and I think therein lies the problem.

I think I am going to have him drop the pan and change it this time. That's what I get for letting another indy do work other than my trusted indy.