PDA

View Full Version : sold tranny

mrbmw1
03-15-2004, 10:01 AM
Hey guys been working on my 87 325is for the last few weeks while the wife sports the 540. I need your help I sold my tranny (crashed 94 540i)to a guy for $1300 when he got it they say it is burnt w/ dark fluid. I had the tranny rebuilt in '03. & crashed at 70mph totaling frontend only. I don't want to just say to bad its yours now because thats not me & I know the board knows how it is when we buy parts from each other we expect that brotherhood type trust. The only thing we can think of is that the wrecker towed the car appox 20-30 mile on the highway the the storage yard & maybe towed it in gear. how would you guys resolve this? HELP let me know here or at mrbmw1@hotmail.com thanks

mholbrook
03-15-2004, 10:13 AM
I helped my mechanic do some work on a 740 tranny (same as yours) a month ago. The new fluid is not red like Dexron. It is dark and lifetime and costs a lot of money. So did this guy dump the fluid or what do you know about the situation. Did a BMW technician say it was burnt or is it just him. I'd like to see another opinion.

FWIW, I had a similar situation with a set of 16" wheels a while back that I sold for small money and the guy said they were bent. Ended up loosing my A** on that.

Mike Holbrook
Spring VAlley, CA

mrbmw1
03-15-2004, 10:28 AM
I helped my mechanic do some work on a 740 tranny (same as yours) a month ago. The new fluid is not red like Dexron. It is dark and lifetime and costs a lot of money. So did this guy dump the fluid or what do you know about the situation. Did a BMW technician say it was burnt or is it just him. I'd like to see another opinion.

FWIW, I had a similar situation with a set of 16" wheels a while back that I sold for small money and the guy said they were bent. Ended up loosing my A** on that.

Mike Holbrook
Spring VAlley, CA
I am going to check the color of the fluid that was put in it today from the tranny shop that rebuilt it. this makes me wish I hadn't sold it at all allthe other parts I sold him were OK