PDA

View Full Version : Need help bleeding clutch....

Dave M
02-06-2006, 10:55 PM
While the clutch slave was disconnected from the tranny, a friend of mine hopped in the driver's seat and promptly pushed the clutch pedal before I could punch him in the head. I watched as the pushrod shot out of the cylinder with all its might, leaking fluid and ultimately sucking copious amouts of air. As i has bigger fish to fry at that moment, I put the pushrod and cover thingy back together as best as possible and continued on.

So, now, since the engine is back in place, we're trying to bleed this sucker and having some difficulty. With a makeshift pressure cap on the resevoir (don't ask), all we're getting is air flowing out the other end. How does air 'bypass' the resevoir and end up travelling through the master and slave clutch cylinders. We can't get a significant flow to pressurize the system. The clutch pedal is 'dead weight' at the moment and only pushes air.

What to try next?

Thanks for listening,

Dave M

winfred
02-06-2006, 11:21 PM
one thing i do when a clutch hydraulic system wants to be a bitch and not want to bleed is give it a light pop with a air line to the bleeder, this reseats the master and allows fliud to flow properly, after wards it will usually gravity bleed and be fine with no other action

Bill R.
02-06-2006, 11:23 PM
the clutch master isn't at the bottom, its up on the side of the reservoir, so if you don't have the level high enough then the clutch master is only going to get air.... Also sometimes you have to unbolt the clutch slave and push the rod all the way in and then let it come back , repeat a couple of times to force air up to the clutch master

While the clutch slave was disconnected from the tranny, a friend of mine hopped in the driver's seat and promptly pushed the clutch pedal before I could punch him in the head. I watched as the pushrod shot out of the cylinder with all its might, leaking fluid and ultimately sucking copious amouts of air. As i has bigger fish to fry at that moment, I put the pushrod and cover thingy back together as best as possible and continued on.

So, now, since the engine is back in place, we're trying to bleed this sucker and having some difficulty. With a makeshift pressure cap on the resevoir (don't ask), all we're getting is air flowing out the other end. How does air 'bypass' the resevoir and end up travelling through the master and slave clutch cylinders. We can't get a significant flow to pressurize the system. The clutch pedal is 'dead weight' at the moment and only pushes air.

What to try next?

Thanks for listening,

Dave M

Scott H
02-07-2006, 12:16 AM
make sure you are close to tip-topped off with fluid first of all.

Another person helps here even though you have the pressure cap. Have that person work the clutch pedal in after you open slave bleed screw. Close the bleed screw and have that person draw the pedal up slowly. Repeat.....just like bleeding the brakes. You'll get 2 or 3 pedal pumps before you need to top off again. Time consuming but effective.

Scott

Dave M
02-07-2006, 07:15 AM
Thank you gentlemen,

I will try again this evening. I suspect I don't have the level in the resevoir high enough. Dumb-ass...

Dave M