PDA

View Full Version : second hand M5 brakes - maintenance?

95-540iLE
02-06-2006, 07:42 PM
Picked up a set of 315mm E34 M5 front disks and calipers that have arrived here in Oz from Germany today.

Before fitting, I guess it would be prudent to have the calipers 'rebuilt' to ensure that they are in the best possible working order. Any suggestions what I should do, or get done to them before fitting?

The car generally potters around, but with track days 3 to 4 days a year.

Cheers

mholbrook
02-06-2006, 09:16 PM
I assume you got the calipers and carriers. My recommendation is to rebuild the calipers. It doesn't take long and you don't have to worry about the seals then. Also wire brush the calipers and carrier and paint now if you are going to do that. Use new M5 rotors which are really heavy, like twice the weight of stock. I think the pads are exactly the same. The 315 rotor size just places them further out for more torque.

Next get busy on finding the rear brake upgrade if you have not already done that. That should be a lot easier since more cars had those rear brakes.

I'm really jealous as my last 535 had M5 brakes on both ends and that was a great improvement in stopping power.

95-540iLE
02-06-2006, 09:24 PM
I managed to get carriers, calipers and disks - all of which look good.

I will be fitting them to my 540i, so it already has the early E34 M5 rear brakes.

What is involved in the rebuilding of the calipers?

Thanks

I assume you got the calipers and carriers. My recommendation is to rebuild the calipers. It doesn't take long and you don't have to worry about the seals then. Also wire brush the calipers and carrier and paint now if you are going to do that. Use new M5 rotors which are really heavy, like twice the weight of stock. I think the pads are exactly the same. The 315 rotor size just places them further out for more torque.

Next get busy on finding the rear brake upgrade if you have not already done that. That should be a lot easier since more cars had those rear brakes.

I'm really jealous as my last 535 had M5 brakes on both ends and that was a great improvement in stopping power.

Johntee540
02-07-2006, 05:38 AM
Send them here! www.goldlinebrakes.com and have them polycoated at the same time.

Johntee540
02-07-2006, 05:40 AM
Last weekend I added the e31 Brembo front calipers and Porterfield/Brembo Cryrogenically treated Rotors on the front of my e34. Job went easy enough except for the Wheel Hub Bearing assembly change. Needed pullers for that.

I have a set of New in the Box M5 rear Calipers for sale. Contact me if you are interested. - JT