PDA

View Full Version : Slightly OT: epiphany...

billb
02-06-2006, 11:42 AM
Finally, the stars aligned, the tides turned, the fates conspired...and I got my timing right on heel-and-toe braking. I've been trying to find a right pattern/technique for years, and today, on the way back from picking up some takeout Japanese, it clicked. Got my arch right in the sweet spot of the the brake pedal, and could just flex my toes just right to blip the throttle. Over and over and over. It felt amazing. I cannot WAIT to try it at speed. Funny how these little things make one so happy.

Now if only I could afford a driver's school this year...

Anthony (M5 in Calgary)
02-06-2006, 11:50 AM
I use the "rotate ball of foot on brake and blip throttle with outside edge of foot" method. Your heel ends up over the gas pedal but you don't use it for the blip. Helps if you don't have shoes with big lugs on the sole. Sperry Topsiders are ideal.

HTH and YMMV.

Paul in NZ
02-07-2006, 03:58 AM
all iask is aperfect shift now and then ;)

Anthony (M5 in Calgary)
02-07-2006, 09:08 AM
all iask is aperfect shift now and then ;)

That, and working space bar and shift key. :)

HDhandyman
02-07-2006, 12:07 PM
Could somebody please elaborate on the process and bennefit of heal-to-toe braking. The only thing I know is that it has something to do with a competitive driving technigue (a al racing), and that it applies to manual transmission. Other than that, I'm completely clueless.

Thanks,

Stephen

Torque
02-07-2006, 12:46 PM
http://www.teammiata.com/libs/heel-toe.htm

edit: better link http://www.turnfast.com/tech_driving/driving_heeltoe.shtml

Jay 535i
02-07-2006, 02:56 PM
Could somebody please elaborate on the process and bennefit of heal-to-toe braking. The only thing I know is that it has something to do with a competitive driving technigue (a al racing), and that it applies to manual transmission. Other than that, I'm completely clueless.

Thanks,

Stephen

Basically you're braking, shifting and matching revs all at the same time by using your right foot on both the brake and the throttle simultaneously while the clutch is pushed in.

Anthony (M5 in Calgary)
02-07-2006, 03:08 PM
I use the "rotate ball of foot on brake and blip throttle with outside edge of foot" method. Your heel ends up over the gas pedal but you don't use it for the blip. Helps if you don't have shoes with big lugs on the sole. Sperry Topsiders are ideal.

HTH and YMMV.

The reason I don't use my heel for the blip is due to the bottom hinged throttle pedal. Pressing with the heel is working too close to the pivot for easy blipping (sic). That and the touchy nature of 6 throttle plates...

BTW, under firm braking, the brake pedal and throttle are at the same approximate height making the above process simple, at least on my car.

Jay 535i
02-07-2006, 03:11 PM
The reason I don't use my heel for the blip is due to the bottom hinged throttle pedal. Pressing with the heel is working too close to the pivot for easy blipping (sic). That and the touchy nature of 6 throttle plates...

I actually use the left and right sides of my foot -- not the heel and toe. My feet (and shoes) are too big to do it any other way, but it works great for me.

Zeuk in Oz
02-08-2006, 12:22 AM
Finally, the stars aligned, the tides turned, the fates conspired...and I got my timing right on heel-and-toe braking. I've been trying to find a right pattern/technique for years, and today, on the way back from picking up some takeout Japanese, it clicked. Got my arch right in the sweet spot of the the brake pedal, and could just flex my toes just right to blip the throttle. Over and over and over. It felt amazing. I cannot WAIT to try it at speed. Funny how these little things make one so happy.

Now if only I could afford a driver's school this year...

I use my toes on the brake and the outside of my foot on the accelerator. It certainly makes for more exciting driving ! Interesting that neither of my sons have mastered it yet despite driving for 2 years and 1 year respectively.

Even more impressive when combined with a double de-clutch (or double shuffle) ! :D

The other technique I use is giving the accelerator a blip so the revs match your speed when changing down a gear normally - as smooth as silk ! ;)

Who would buy an auto sportscar ? What I wouldn't give for an E39 M5 !

genphreak
02-08-2006, 09:03 AM

Now if only I could afford a driver's school this year...Not off topic at all! Could be entitled 'Spirited driving!' I dare say. Only wish I could achieve the same thing in an auto... I've done that at least a few times in every manual I've had, its more than addicitve once you get it right, and scary when you don't. Not a trick for the faint hearted.