PDA

View Full Version : 535 RAM AIR with Pictures

mholbrook
02-06-2006, 11:36 AM
OK, I took a trip to Lowes and got some pictures of the Rubber Ram Air piece. The price is a whopping $6.43 plus tax.

Hopefully this will be of some use to fellow list members.

While I was there, I also picked up the pieces to make a clutch stop. Under $1.50 I believe. As soon as I finish the R&D, I'll make a post with pix.

Martin in Bellevue
02-06-2006, 02:57 PM
There is a tube from the e24, that can replace the air horn, 1 287 327.3. It is a friction fit to the lower part of the air filter housing.

DaCan23
02-06-2006, 03:03 PM
I've been wondering about that piece as I need something for the 6er.... what do you think the heat tolerance of that is?

mholbrook
02-06-2006, 03:39 PM
Well, it shouldn't melt on the front of the air box. It is rubber and there are a hell of a lot of rubber components under the hood. I'll run it a couple hundred thousand miles and report back ;)

Robin-535im
02-06-2006, 05:36 PM
I've been wondering about that piece as I need something for the 6er.... what do you think the heat tolerance of that is?
More importantly, where can we score some of that "Mystery LSD"? :)

Jeff N.
02-06-2006, 06:30 PM
I think the question is - does it help anything?

A trumpet design is a well proven item to increase air flow.

SRR2
02-06-2006, 07:56 PM
Pardon me for being dense here, but what is this accomplishing that the factory ram air intake doesn't? I must have missed something. I appreciate as much as anyone cool and cheap solutions to problems, especially when they involve the nontraditional application of plumbing supplies, but this one is just escaping me.

Bill R.
02-06-2006, 08:12 PM
on the dyno and he ran it with and without the airhorn/trumpet. It lost
horsepower without the trumpet.

I think the question is - does it help anything?

A trumpet design is a well proven item to increase air flow.

genphreak
02-06-2006, 08:24 PM
Pardon me for being dense here, but what is this accomplishing that the factory ram air intake doesn't? I must have missed something. I appreciate as much as anyone cool and cheap solutions to problems, especially when they involve the nontraditional application of plumbing supplies, but this one is just escaping me.
The trumpet deadens the sound does it not?

The trumpet may increase available air at maximum RPM (at speed)

The trumpet may keep intake air a little cooler...

Barely an imporvement in raw performance I am sure, but the 'sound difference' may be sought after- is there any real difference in intake noise?

Bill, I am not sure if I read your post incorrectly, do you mean there was an increase in power with the trumpet on the dyno, or a loss?

mholbrook
02-06-2006, 08:38 PM
I have read the Conforti article of which you speak. He also said that just putting his finger on the trumpet changed the HP numbers. I should also say that he sells or has a hand in the sale of "intakes" now as well.

So the only way to say it improves or degrades the performance is to do a back to back dyno run on the same car with that being the only difference between runs. Actually you should do about 5 runs each way so you could average the differences.

Probably it does not gain a damn thing but it sure makes a more "healthy" sound with a tube or whatever versus the "reverse trumpet" (a trumpet is bigger on one end than the other). For years the Mustang guys have been removing an item from the intake of their cars that restricts the air flow. They claim to gain 2 or 3 hp for that small effort. That noise silencer is markedly akin to the piece I propose to remove and replace.

Hey, it's your car. Do as you please. At least I'm not advocating sticking some huge cone shaped thing under the hood right next to an exhaust manifold and calling it a performance intake.

You just can't fool Mother Nature.

genphreak
02-06-2006, 09:45 PM
Hey Mike, whenever you can, score a few 'kits' for those of us down in Oz would you? I'll paypal you for them, just let me know your paypal address and I'll send the bucks to cover them and the postage. Great contribution too, so simple, cheap and neat. It might well add up to nothing, but the stock trumpet just looks so piddly in comparison to that big porker! If it were painted metallic blue, the mod 'R' brigade would be into 'em with all sorts of performance imporvement claims...

I might also need some step-downs for other things :) Nick

Jeff N.
02-07-2006, 12:25 AM
this (http://upetd.up.ac.za/thesis/available/etd-01242006-123639/unrestricted/00dissertation.pdf)

mholbrook
02-07-2006, 09:14 AM
Yawn, now I'm really sleepy! Does this mean that BMW's 3.5 air box which is essentially carried over in all interations is the ultimate that could have been accomplished in air flow or that the box is designed for the 95 percent of buyers who want to hear their rolex tick while driving the automobile. Are we part of the 5% or the 95%. Is the 535 a rally car? Why does the sun rise from the east? When is up down? WTFO?

DaCan23
02-07-2006, 09:17 AM
I was gonna use it to extend the air inlet before the air box in the 6er as the boot doesnt reach the proper spot... and I have the one and only mystery LSD... u cant get it anywhere else

More importantly, where can we score some of that "Mystery LSD"? :)

iNomis
02-07-2006, 09:58 AM
I have a trumpet on my Rolex and though it does keep it quiet the RPM seems restrained.

Robin-535im
02-07-2006, 11:05 AM
this (http://upetd.up.ac.za/thesis/available/etd-01242006-123639/unrestricted/00dissertation.pdf)
His aunt is a doctor and a princess.

Martin in Bellevue
02-07-2006, 11:41 AM
Here's the earlier e24 air horn, next to the e34 m40 horn.

Maybe Erik can chime in on the latest map performance. Don't bother with Jeff's impressions, as I've been sand-bagging it for his ego.

http://www.bimmer.info/bmw/martin/airHorns.jpg

http://www.bimmer.info/bmw/martin/theM30.jpg

Maximabello
02-07-2006, 01:09 PM
The map drives great now. No weird idle after cold startup and the hesitation/chip interference at 5k is barely noticeable now. Pulls strong.

OT: Wheels are on :D

Here's the earlier e24 air horn, next to the e34 m40 horn.

Maybe Erik can chime in on the latest map performance. Don't bother with Jeff's impressions, as I've been sand-bagging it for his ego.