PDA

View Full Version : mid 90's v8's

wolfpack
02-05-2006, 09:35 AM
The used market around Raleigh, NC has a bunch of mid-90's E34 (530, 540) with the V8 engines. I've read through a few threads about the nikasil engines. If one were going to purchase such a vehicle, what kind of tests would reveal a potential problem engine? Cylinder compression test? Can you tell by the driveability as to which vehicles may have engine issues? Some of these cars are priced advantageously but, being kind of a rookie in the BMW realm, I don't want to get a bad deal. Thanks, guys!

wolfpack

Springfield1952
02-05-2006, 11:57 AM
Read this article from Koala Motorsports concerning the V8 engine issues; http://www.koalamotorsport.com/article-m60v8.asp Many believe that if the Nikasil engine has lasted this long that it is fine, others won't touch a Nikasil car believing that failure is inevitable. The high sulfer content in the gasoline that was blamed for the failures has been reduced since the late 1990's. A leak down test is the best way to judge the condition of the cylinders on a Nikasil engine. Good luck.

Curt.

wolfpack
02-05-2006, 02:05 PM
Great article. Thanks! I'll bet the dealer won't tell me the block number (even if he knows what it is), so a pre-purchase inspection would be in order. I'll go with one of the local recommended garages from the other forums here if I decide to go ahead with it.

632 Regal
02-05-2006, 08:05 PM
you can get the number off the block if you get it high enough to slide under it. the number is straight up in front of the starter.

Jay 535i
02-05-2006, 08:08 PM
An (admittedly unscientific) poll on here recently showed that the vast majority of Nikasil engines still around today continue to run trouble-free.

Paul in NZ
02-05-2006, 08:09 PM
a pre purchase inspection is mandatory....

Kobe Diesel
02-05-2006, 11:52 PM
Stick with the I-6.
That's one of the things BMW is known for.

wolfpack
02-06-2006, 12:29 PM
Stick with the I-6.
That's one of the things BMW is known for.

I've always thought that the inline 6 was the best engine design ever. You'll find nothing else in 18-wheel trucks but straight 6 diesels. They're good for at least 1/2 million miles. The V engines always make me nervous (not so much 8's as 6's. V6 is bar none the worst engine design in history). I'll get the block numbers and have a leak down test down at the very least if I find I'm interested in this particular 530. I'm not in a huge hurry to buy anything. I'm just thinking about getting out of the 13 MPG SUV world and into something closer to 20 MPG. I was impressed when I could only stuff $37 worth of gas into my 525i once per week instead of $60 into the Ford Exterminator.

Thanks for all the replies.

John in CT
02-06-2006, 08:07 PM
I would love to have a 1995 540 six speed but there other cost considerations to consider. As these cars age, eventually the exhaust is going to need replacment, and they ain't cheap for this model, also the engine access issues make DIY tasks that much more time-consuming than my M50. Maybe if I was smarted or more patient it would be different, but the big V8 does intimidate me somewhat.

The six can get 28 mpg on the open road, and gasoline isn't going to get any cheaper real soon IMHO.

My $0.02

John
1995 525im

Russell
02-06-2006, 08:30 PM
The more I see used BMWs, I realize how great a buy mine was. Whatever you get, make sure it has records, as few owners as possible and get a pre purchase inspection. These cars are all about TLC. Of ourse I highly recommend a 95 525i. :)

I would love to have a 1995 540 six speed but there other cost considerations to consider. As these cars age, eventually the exhaust is going to need replacment, and they ain't cheap for this model, also the engine access issues make DIY tasks that much more time-consuming than my M50. Maybe if I was smarted or more patient it would be different, but the big V8 does intimidate me somewhat.

The six can get 28 mpg on the open road, and gasoline isn't going to get any cheaper real soon IMHO.

My $0.02

John
1995 525im

Cambridge
02-06-2006, 09:44 PM
Mine gets 27 mpg on the open road...