PDA

View Full Version : Need Help on Lowering Springs

The Melmaan
02-05-2006, 01:10 AM
I have installed lowering springs on my E34 (93) the I have purchased from Volksland. I'm experiencing clickity-clack noise from all 4 springs when ever I run into pot holes or bumps. Seems like the springs are loose. I checked all 4 and all the nuts and bolts are tight. I notice that the springs when I installed them does not need any compressors, they just fit right in without compressing. Do anybody there experience the same issue and what solution did you do?
Thanks!!!!:(

Kalevera
02-05-2006, 01:16 AM
I can't confirm since I've never installed vogtlands, but I suspect that they require a sport valved strut/shock. So, if you didn't replace your strut inserts and shocks, then that may be your problem. You should still have preload, though.

best, whit

mholbrook
02-05-2006, 10:23 AM
Are you sure it is the springs. You can get a noise similar to what you describe from the sway bar end links.

genphreak
02-05-2006, 04:54 PM
Are you sure it is the springs. You can get a noise similar to what you describe from the sway bar end links.Yep, or spring pads that twist away from under the spring when pressured...

Dan-ny-m398
02-05-2006, 05:06 PM
I installed vogtland springs last summer and, I hear all kinds of stuff moving around everytime I hit a pothole, I already checked and recheck everything and I came to the conclussion that the springs just suck and I learned to live with it.

genphreak
02-05-2006, 05:08 PM
I installed vogtland springs last summer and, I hear all kinds of stuff moving around everytime I hit a pothole, I already checked and recheck everything and I came to the conclussion that the springs just suck and I learned to live with it.That's tough dude. Everyone else seems to like them... what shocks are you running?

Also, confirm the part numbers you got on their website- there are several types available- beware of 535 springs in a 525, 530 and 540 springs (all are different), but spring companies don't always do every one, and can substitute the wrong ones in (though they shuld at least admit to a different ride-height resulting)

I remmber seeing one that said Voigtland have one for cars with 'big stereos' :D surely this was a joke or an interesting substitution of the wrong spring...

Qube
02-05-2006, 05:11 PM
Oh great. I just received my Vogtlands and going to install them next week on Bilstein HDs.... :(

Dan-ny-m398
02-05-2006, 05:14 PM
I basically learned to live with it, and my main problem is that my wife has another 535i with the stock set up and I get to feel the difference everytime I switch cars. I'm running Bilsteins and I got 18" Voxx rims.

632 Regal
02-05-2006, 08:01 PM
youll need the bilstein sport shocks for the shocks not bottoming out.

Oh great. I just received my Vogtlands and going to install them next week on Bilstein HDs.... :(

genphreak
02-05-2006, 09:24 PM
I basically learned to live with it, and my main problem is that my wife has another 535i with the stock set up and I get to feel the difference everytime I switch cars. I'm running Bilsteins and I got 18" Voxx rims.I was considering buying them, however I wonder if people are getting the best results on the 525 as opposed to the heavier 535, so I opted for M-Technics instead... I'd check your part number and if in any doubt contact Voigtland, I doubt they'd want you to have the wrong thing... when you say Billies, do you mean Billie Sports? They are the only ones you can run, tourings or HDs will be awful. Jeff knows this very well, (have you read what he has written about in his great work on their 'hidden' bumpstops?)... :) Nick

Dave D
02-05-2006, 10:32 PM
Spring pads? Make sure the springs are rotated correctly in the pads. I have vogtlands in mine with koni's and 18 "s with no noises. I did replace all bushings. arms and links in front and rear. One thing I didn't like was the vogtlands sit too low in the front and every once in a while the tires would scrape. I fixed this by making aluminum spacer plates that fit on top of the strut bearing. This raised the ride height close to 3/4" and the height is right where I like it. Also make sure you either change out strut bearings & shock mounts or make sure yours are still good. Good Dave

Qube
02-05-2006, 10:35 PM
Going to be doing mine with Bruno so it'll be done perfectly right ;)

pmlmotorsports
02-06-2006, 12:44 AM
In my own experience, you can stick Billies where the sun don't shine. Too hard and too difficult to warranty. I use Boge or Koni for my customers and never had a problem......also Vogtland is very customer oriented, so feel free t ocontact them about any issues. HTH

Qube
02-06-2006, 04:06 PM
On query of different springs for 525/535/540 from FCP (distributor)... Have yet to get a reply from manuf themselves...

"Vogtland only makes on [sic] spring for the E34 series. I have heard that they make them for the 535 and 540 cars to get the correct weight but they will fit all of the E34's"

genphreak
02-06-2006, 10:00 PM
On query of different springs for 525/535/540 from FCP (distributor)... Have yet to get a reply from manuf themselves...

"Vogtland only makes on [sic] spring for the E34 series. I have heard that they make them for the 535 and 540 cars to get the correct weight but they will fit all of the E34's"Yep they fit all, but provide different ride heights and technically they may not provide optimal performance (dep. on the shock absorber employed). It'll be interesting to see what Vogtland say!

632 Regal
02-06-2006, 10:21 PM
http://php.vogtland.com/get_pdf.php?name=951026-0037-99.pdf

genphreak
02-06-2006, 11:03 PM
http://php.vogtland.com/get_pdf.php?name=951026-0037-99.pdfwas die Hölle dieses ganzes Mittel?

Where are the springs for the 535?
These are the e34 entires on their online listing;

5 E34, Typ 5/H, Limousine und Touring, 518i, 520i, ohne M5, ohne Niveaureg. 7.1990>3.1997 40/20 1, 2, 21 TÜV 951024 http://php.vogtland.com/images/adobe.jpg (http://php.vogtland.com/get_pdf.php?name=951024-0037-99.pdf) BMW 5 E34, Typ 5/H, Limousine und Touring, ab 525i, ohne Niveaureg., ohne M5 7.1990>3.1997 40/20 1, 2, 21 TÜV 951026

Qube
02-10-2006, 11:37 PM
Installed them today. WHAT A DIFFERENCE! The fender gap is history!

Ride FEELS good. I feel more connected to the road but without being harsh. Bumps are more pronounced and my mp3/cd player seems to feel it more than I do now.

Body roll is DRASTICALLY decreased. Great! I'll post pics on another thread tomorrow.

632 Regal
02-10-2006, 11:40 PM
how low is it? dont forget about the settling it will do...

edit: what shocks? bumpstops?

Installed them today. WHAT A DIFFERENCE! The fender gap is history!

Ride FEELS good. I feel more connected to the road but without being harsh. Bumps are more pronounced and my mp3/cd player seems to feel it more than I do now.

Body roll is DRASTICALLY decreased. Great! I'll post pics on another thread tomorrow.

Qube
02-10-2006, 11:44 PM
how low is it? dont forget about the settling it will do...

edit: what shocks? bumpstops?

How low? You'll see tomorrow.

Shocks? Bilstein HDs. Bumpstops shaved a bit.

liquidtiger720
02-11-2006, 11:31 AM
This Thread Is Worthless Without Pictures!!!!!!

The Melmaan
02-11-2006, 01:37 PM
Where do you get these pads?

The Melmaan
02-11-2006, 01:44 PM
They are not bottoming out but rather it is like when the whole suspension elongates, the spring's overall length is too short that it clacks between both bottom and top holder's. But the ride is OK and a little stiffer than the OEM springs. My problem is how to make the darn springs to stay on place.

The Melmaan
02-11-2006, 01:47 PM
Where di you get the pads and how much did it cost?

The Melmaan
02-11-2006, 02:09 PM
I have installed lowering springs on my E34 (93) the I have purchased from Volksland. I'm experiencing clickity-clack noise from all 4 springs when ever I run into pot holes or bumps. Seems like the springs are loose. I checked all 4 and all the nuts and bolts are tight. I notice that the springs when I installed them does not need any compressors, they just fit right in without compressing. Do anybody there experience the same issue and what solution did you do?
Thanks!!!!:(
:) :( :p
Upon reading all of what we have, there seems to be a wide distribution of opinions:
1. Need some pads for the springs
2. Some have problems the same way I do
3. Some have good experience
I have my car in the shop which I need them to raise it up. The shimmy has worsen very bad. The clickity-clak on pot holes and bumps are still there.
I bought a whole set of suspension paraphenelias from lower control arm to upper thrust arm to replace each one for diagnostics (expensive way). I have yet to find and purchase pads for the spring.
The car looks great when lowered. I will post pictures of it as soon as I can get them.
Thanks for all who have participated in this issue.
Muchachos, amigos, muchas gracias

genphreak
02-12-2006, 08:26 PM
Are you saying that after all this, there are NO pads installed? That might just make it clickity clack a whole bunch...

The Melmaan
02-12-2006, 08:56 PM
Are you saying that after all this, there are NO pads installed? That might just make it clickity clack a whole bunch...
Yes, there are no pads on them. It was a lateral swap from the OEM. There were no pads from the OEM either. Any sources you know for pads?

genphreak
02-12-2006, 09:14 PM
Yes, there are no pads on them. It was a lateral swap from the OEM. There were no pads from the OEM either. Any sources you know for pads? The pads are a required item. If missing, it must have had a bodgey swap at sometime. The standard springs may not rattle (so much) as they keep the strut under pressure even at full extension.

If you want an additional 6mm drop at the front, ask for the 3mm lower pad instead of the normal 9mm one. The M5 came with this. It won't cause problems unless your car already rides real low, which it probably is with the voigtlands (in e34 terms). BMWs are supposed to sag a little at the back as it improves handling, so if you drop the front too much you will probably regret it as she might become less balanced.

BMA (http://www.bmaparts.com/) have them. All the dealers can get them. Reference the part numbers (http://www.realoem.com/) for your car here before asking so you know you will get the right thing.

Anthony (M5 in Calgary)
02-12-2006, 09:32 PM
The pads are a required item. If missing, it must have had a bodgey swap at sometime. The standard springs may not rattle (so much) as they keep the strut under pressure even at full extension.

If you want an additional 6mm drop at the front, ask for the 3mm lower pad instead of the normal 9mm one. The M5 came with this. It won't cause problems unless your car already rides real low, which it probably is with the voigtlands (in e34 terms). BMWs are supposed to sag a little at the back as it improves handling, so if you drop the front too much you will probably regret it as she might become less balanced.

BMA (http://www.bmaparts.com/) have them. All the dealers can get them. Reference the part numbers (http://www.realoem.com/) for your car here before asking so you know you will get the right thing.

Just for the sake or accuracy, M5s came with 9mm pads. Certain other E34s (and E30s/36 etc.) came with the 3mm pads. I just swapped in 3mm pads last weekend.