PDA

View Full Version : Oil Leak/Smoke Problem

RichBimmer525i
02-04-2006, 08:40 PM
Hey guys! Sorry my first post here is asking for help, but maybe y'all can clarify this for me.

Recently, my 1990 (with 104000 miles! get to that later) has been leaking massive amounts of oil and smoking at every stoplight and when I park. I've had valve cover leaks on previous cars, but never this bad. Second, I'm not familiar with inline-6s, so I am far from an expert. I noticed the leak is coming from some area in the front of the engine, but the actual spot is blocked from view by the battery shelf. This is the only spot it is leaking, but its really bad. Is this the valve cover or something else?

I do not have any metric-specific tools & limited repair experience, so unfortunately I get to walk in backwards to a mechanic. I just want to know what I'm looking at before I take it in, ya know. And hey maybe I can take a stab at it...replaced valve cover gaskets before if that's the only problem.

So guys thanks for the advice, I'll take some pictures if necessary!

Hypr5
02-04-2006, 08:46 PM
Sounds like either the valve cover gasket or headgasket. Maybe someone else can help out better.

Is the smoke coming from the exhaust or is it coming from the engine compartment???

632 Regal
02-04-2006, 11:46 PM
search for scott Hs latest posts about cam access plugs or some crap?

RichBimmer525i
02-04-2006, 11:48 PM
I forgot to note that my engine is starting to have a rough idle, dropping to about 600 RPM at stoplights (while smoke pours out). This is probably an unrelated problem...

To clarify, smoke is coming from the engine compartment. Specifically, the smoke and oil leak is coming from some part of the engine closest to the battery. I've just never seen a valve cover leak get THIS bad this fast!...leading me to wonder if its something else.

Anybody ran into something like this before?

Alexlind123
02-05-2006, 12:07 AM
You continue to drive your car with white smoke pouring out of the engine compartment??!!?!!??!

Kalevera
02-05-2006, 12:15 AM
Probably the valve cover gasket (~ $10) + the blind plugs (there are four, two up front, two at the back of the head) and POTENTIALLY the cam seal itself (but it's usually the blind plugs -- I also call them "keystone" rubbers if you do a forum search on the matter -- making it look like the cam seal is leaking without pulling the timing cover off).

So, replace those parts, clean up the area, see what happens.

Normally, people STOP driving a car when smoke starts to pour out of the hood?! :D Are you trying to kill this car? When was the last time it had a timing belt, anyway?

best, whit

angrypancake
02-05-2006, 02:11 AM
wait wait, is the smoke white? or is it... burning oil smoke color? After I changed my valve cover gasket there was a whole lot of smoke for about a week from a little seepage burning off. No doubt if there is a slow leak there would be a metric f**k ton of smoke. Can you take a picture of your engine compartment and then paint/photochop in an arrow as to where you feel the smoke is originating from? From there we (and by we I mean the awesome members here that know all) could diagnose easier... My vote is listen to Whit's advice...

RichBimmer525i
02-08-2006, 12:44 AM
Hey guys, thanks for your help. I took it to a mechanic and found the problem to be the seal around the the timing chain. It makes sense to me, because I could tell it was not coming from the valve covers, and I had never seen a leak this bad get worse so fast.

Again, thanks for the help...