PDA

View Full Version : Desperate for Help Water Pump Replacement

av8r
02-04-2006, 02:11 PM
While driving to work on friday the water pump siezed up and of course almost caused the car to overheat. So today i replaced the pump, tstat, cap and all hoses. Also drilled out the pisser hose hole.

I filled it up and started it to find the following:
1. No fluid is coming out of the pisser hole.
2. The temp took like 30 minutes to come up to temp. Middle of the arc.
3. After 40 minutes the top hose got warm but not hard. I could compress the hose. While doing this the fluid level rose and fell in the overflow tank.
4. The bottom radiator hose never got what i would consider warm. Even after the 40 plus minutes

After reading this board for over a year and searching for the past 3 hours for some answers i am to say the least desperate. I do not want to ruin my car and i think that there are some problems with my observations.

I would think that there should be fluid coming thru the little pisser hose as soon as the motor starts?

I assume that the bottom radiator hose should become warm once the tstat opens.

I dont know what the problem could be.
Could the pump be defective?

Any help is much appreciated.
Chris
95 530I, 1975 C-172M

winfred
02-04-2006, 02:25 PM
id make sure you can blow though the hose that goes from the top of the rad to the coolent tank on the firewall, it may be clogged if the fittings it ataches to are not

av8r
02-04-2006, 02:39 PM
Winfred.
Yes the small hose is ok. When i have the cap off and queeze the top hose quickly i can see a small stream come out of the hole inside the tank.
At the same time the level lrises in the tank.
Chris

Akhil
02-04-2006, 03:26 PM
You could have some broken parts of plastice impeller from previous water pump, that might be blocking the circulation. I had to suck those with fluxible hose attached to a vaccume cleaner. Its just another thought (guess).

Good luck.

tim
02-04-2006, 03:34 PM
is the replacement tstat 80 degrees c? That could be it. I think the m60 should be 90deg C If it opens too early it takes a long time to warm up.

av8r
02-04-2006, 03:39 PM
The old water pump had a metal impeller. The tstat is 90 degrees. i remember reading somewhere that the m60 is self bleeding, is that correct?
What type of flow out of the little pisser hose would you expect?
I have just noticed that while the car is running i can squeeze both the top and bottom hoses and the cluid level in the expansion tank rises and falls.
I wonder if this pump is defective?

av8r
02-04-2006, 04:33 PM
While pacing around the car during the latest warmup i moved the throttle and fluid began to escape from the piseer hose.
I am puzzled now. Shouldn't it come out when the car is idling. Like when your in traffic or stopped to prevent overheating?
Could this be a belt tension problem?

mystical_wings
02-04-2006, 04:39 PM
I would drive it a short distance to let pressure build up b4 I started freaking out.fluid fluxation while squeezing the RAD. hoses is normal.

av8r
02-04-2006, 04:56 PM
Driven the car a few times and let it cool down. Again there is no fluid coming out of the pisser hole when at idle. Am i worng in assumiing that there should be fluid coming out of the hose at idle?
Why would it only come out when the throttle is advance?
I am so lost!

winfred
02-04-2006, 07:37 PM
they don't always piss at idle, if it pisses a little above idle it's fine and the air is probably purged, if it's running hot check the radiator with your hand for cold spots sometimes they collaps internally if overheated