PDA

View Full Version : Disappearing Coolant

athflying79
02-04-2006, 11:24 AM
I recently replaced my T-Stat and drained the whole coolant system. Bled and filled per the Bentley manual. About 2-3 weeks after doing so, the coolant level warning came on. I topped it off, thinking that was normal after several heat cycles. After about 2 months, it is low again. I don't think my headgasket is bad and I don't seem to have any coolant leaks. One of my coolant hoses is on it's way out and is wet around the hose clamp, but doesn't seem to leak enough or at all to lower the level that much.

Is it possible it's still due to completely filling the system after the T-Stat change???

SRR2
02-04-2006, 12:30 PM
The radiator on my 535 had an occasional slow leak that resulted in 'low coolant' every few months. That went on for over a year with me wondering what was going on until I happened to catch a couple of drops of coolant laying on the gravel shield behind the radiator after a drive on a particularly hot day. The problem never rose to the point of motivating me to replace the radiator.

I never had the level of coolant drop that much after a change, but I was pretty careful about bleeding it and the pisser line worked as it was supposed to.

athflying79
02-06-2006, 04:48 PM
Well, I was looking in the engine compartment and the hose I thought did not leak to bad has turned into a gusher. Called BMA and they just finished putting together a cooling hose kit that replaces all your cooling hoses....not quite on the website yet, but right around $150. Going to swap em out and hopefully takes care of that. I also found what I thought was an oil leak, but it's actually the PS reservoir. The hose is pretty limp and I've heard the reservoir leak pretty easily, so I ordered both. Hopefully that is the end of the mystery fluids in the driveway.