PDA

View Full Version : cock eyed park lights

wingman
02-04-2006, 07:55 AM
I'm having dramas with my park lights being different intensities. I've just changed both the globes so they are both the same. The lenses are both clean and the wiring seems to be in good nick. You know how much of a b**ch it is to clean the connections. Does this look familiar to anyone? Once again I'm splitting hairs... Just like everyone else. All beer is good. Some are better than others.
http://i30.photobucket.com/albums/c301/wingman_1968/lights.jpg

SRR2
02-04-2006, 11:15 AM
Those are used for visiblilty, not illumination, correct? AFAIK we don't have anything like that in the States, and for sure I've never seen a reflector equipped for this function. Assuming that the reflectors are the correct ones for the application, and in good condition, it could be differences in the bulb. Different manufacturers might mount the filament differently, and at different distances from the base, yet sell the bulb as "P/N XXXX". The bulb sockets are seated properly?

Paul in NZ
02-04-2006, 03:48 PM
any issues i have had with different intensities has always been cured by getting a new pair of bulbs.Have you checked the grounds?

wingman
02-05-2006, 02:39 AM
any issues i have had with different intensities has always been cured by getting a new pair of bulbs.Have you checked the grounds?
The bulbs came as a pair in a packet so they 'should' be identical. As for the grounds, where are they?

Paul in NZ
02-05-2006, 03:05 AM
mate,they are everywhere.But almost every circuit on theses cars has its own ground it seems.I will study bentley but sometimes its not helpful for our euro cars electrical systems

SRR2
02-05-2006, 08:20 AM
Do they light at about the same color and intensity? If they're the same color that rules out the supply and ground wiring, leaving differences in the reflector or bulb mounting.

Zeuk in Oz
02-05-2006, 05:55 PM
I will preface this by saying that I know nothing about auto electrics, however I agree with the other posters in that in my experience every time I take a anything to the auto sparkie with this sort of problem it turns out to be the earth (ground).

wingman
02-05-2006, 09:21 PM
Do they light at about the same color and intensity? If they're the same color that rules out the supply and ground wiring, leaving differences in the reflector or bulb mounting.
My pic is a shocker I klnow. The nearside one looks like it is getting about hlf of the power of the offside. As stated the lens/reflector is clean and in good nick. I'll look for the ground. Thanks all for the advice.

genphreak
02-05-2006, 09:32 PM
I will preface this by saying that I know nothing about auto electrics, however I agree with the other posters in that in my experience every time I take a anything to the auto sparkie with this sort of problem it turns out to be the earth (ground).Wingman, on my car my parks lights only bring on the lower intensity setting on each side- the little 10W bulb in the top of the lamp.

I am sure this is normal... however in your pic it is evident that the drivers side (RHD car) is running its main beam.

Have you your headlights switched on or just the parks? If just the parks, you need to be chasing why the main beam is activated:) in which case, perhaps you have an aftermarket alarm that flashes the lights or something else which is screwing things up? :) Nick

Beware peeps stateside, as not all of you will know Euro lights work completetly differently to US spec lights.

wingman
02-05-2006, 09:45 PM
It does appear from the pic that the main beam is on but the offside is actually just the park light! (both identical 10w globes). This pic (taken with phone at dusk), is the light switch in position 1 with engine off. As you know this will not allow the main beams to fire up (wont in P1 anyway but you know that). The pic was mainly just to show how much of a difference there is. I'll get a decent camera one day...

genphreak
02-05-2006, 09:55 PM
It does appear from the pic that the main beam is on but the offside is actually just the park light! (both identical 10w globes). This pic (taken with phone at dusk), is the light switch in position 1 with engine off. As you know this will not allow the main beams to fire up (wont in P1 anyway but you know that). The pic was mainly just to show how much of a difference there is. I'll get a decent camera one day...Wo man, weird. So this little sucker has 2 output levels but a single filament? Can't be. Something weird is going on for sure... suggest you check voltage at the bulbs. :) Nick

genphreak
02-05-2006, 11:47 PM
Wo man, weird. So this little sucker has 2 output levels but a single filament? Can't be. Something weird is going on for sure... suggest you check voltage at the bulbs. :) NickAre you sure it's just the 10W bulb that's on on the brighter side? ie the main beam is not activated in any way?

liquidtiger720
02-05-2006, 11:59 PM
hehee...here is what the are SUPPOSe to look like. :)

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v457/liquidtiger720/DSC03202Medium.jpg

Paul in NZ
02-06-2006, 12:06 AM
nononononono on our cars the indicators dont come on with the park lights.........

wingman
02-06-2006, 01:13 AM
These are better pics
Right light
http://i30.photobucket.com/albums/c301/wingman_1968/rlight.jpg
Left light
http://i30.photobucket.com/albums/c301/wingman_1968/llight.jpg

Paul in NZ
02-06-2006, 03:14 AM
just for fun switch bulbs??

Zeuk in Oz
02-08-2006, 10:41 PM
I'm having dramas with my park lights being different intensities. I've just changed both the globes so they are both the same. The lenses are both clean and the wiring seems to be in good nick. You know how much of a b**ch it is to clean the connections. Does this look familiar to anyone? Once again I'm splitting hairs... Just like everyone else. All beer is good. Some are better than others.
http://i30.photobucket.com/albums/c301/wingman_1968/lights.jpg
Wingman, I think I might have solved the puzzle.

Both of my parker stalks were fairly perished from 18 years of hot engine bay exposure, I presume, so I bought 2 new ones from the dealer yesterday as one was not working at all and I didn't want to get pulled over by the constabulary for having non-functional parkers :p . (The bulb wouldn't stay in contact with the connections)

When I put that new stalk in, the light intensity was 5 times that of the remaining, working, stalk.

Replacing the second one had the same result - really bright as well - by the way they only take 5 watt globes.

In other words I suspect that the problem lies inside the stalks and it is possible that one or both of yours might need replacing.

The bad news is that they are not available from BMA and so I had to fork out something like AUD $ 42 each at the dealer - ouch !

wingman
02-09-2006, 04:53 AM
Yeah ouch is the word but worth a try I think. Thanks for the great info Zeuk!