PDA

View Full Version : Lowell's control arm writeup. How to access?

Gene in NC
02-03-2006, 09:27 PM
Lowell's control arm writeup. How to access?

Buffaloed by apparent limited access and possible problems getting nut off and bolt out. Prob need to get nut off or loose first but limited access and limited bearing surface on the nut has me very uneasy.

RobPatt
02-03-2006, 10:13 PM
http://www.bmw4life.com/suspensionLowellFA.htm

632 Regal
02-04-2006, 03:27 AM
you talkin aboit the side next to the floor boards? If so I had to drop the cross brace to get to it. Some say gring a wrench but that didnt do it for me and had to drop the brace...to tighten under load I had to tighten, then lower the brace to get the wrench out...nice.

Kalevera
02-04-2006, 04:58 AM
I didn't know that I had a control arm writeup? Are we talking about the thrust arms or control arms?

On the thrust arms, I've done them by dropping the wishbone (faster if there's a lift and air tools available); I've also done it with a set of craftsman spanners and jack stands.

Be sure you've got the correct nut (BMW OEM part is recommended) -- you'll have a hell of a time getting the nylock one (incidentally provided with the new OEM arm) on the ball joint side of it isn't -- it'll probably start spinning the joint and you'll have to lower the car's weight onto the base of the ball joint to tighten it.

best, whit