PDA

View Full Version : Were all e34s prewired for heated seats?

Anton CH.
02-03-2006, 07:23 PM
I want to install an electric heat in my seats as leather takes a long time to warm up. Is the power wire for the heater already present or do I have to run one down from the battery?

calmloki
02-03-2006, 07:42 PM
If BMW did the same thing as on my '89 E30 you are looking at a separate harness run from a junction box under the dash. I stripped the harness, console and switches, and heated seats from a convertible to use in our '89 325i. Plugged in a new fuse. The harness was a discrete, plug in unit, suspect they did not prewire unless it was getting the heated seats from the factory.
Tom Walrod

Anton CH.
02-03-2006, 09:06 PM
http://www.p71interceptor.com/heatedseats/

Anton CH.
02-03-2006, 09:28 PM
OH OK...in that case I will just wait until there is an e34 parting out in my area with black interior. As it will probably be cheaper and easier.

calmloki
02-03-2006, 09:38 PM
mine was prewired for heat...

Interesting, especially since yours is an '89 like our E30. Where are the switch locations for heated seats on the 525? The E30 mounts them on the center console. Is the wiring to the seat just taken to an empty plug under the seats? On our '93 525iT there are a couple round stickers in the rear indicating that it's prewired for phone and a couple other things, but doesn't mention heated seats (bummer). All this got was a plug-in for the seatbelt alert. Wonder what the corporate thinking was for the differing treatment.
Tom Walrod

Alexlind123
02-04-2006, 02:48 AM
In the mean-time, you may want to consider a heated seat cover from www.bavarianautosport.com. I saw one in a catalog awhile back, and it seemed like a good idea, especially if your seats are worn. It would probably heat up more quickly than the OE warmers too.

Kalevera
02-04-2006, 04:55 AM
Anton, buy a set of used seats, memory or not, with heaters. Install is easy and the parts are much cheaper than pulling the hides.

best, whit