PDA

View Full Version : Thrust arm replacement; any need for wheel alignment?

t_marat
02-03-2006, 03:32 PM
Will thrust arm and tie rods replacement result in a need to realign the wheels? Meaning their direction?

I remember in russian cars you would need to realign the wheels if you change some rods or arms.

Blitzkrieg Bob
02-03-2006, 03:36 PM
Anytime you do front end work, it's good to get it aligned.

t_marat
02-03-2006, 03:45 PM
How do you do it? I won't do that job myself; mechanic will do. But I would like to know what he will be doing.

I have clunk noises from front when I drive over some rough surface. I can also feel vibration on the wheel. I was advised this is due to thrust arms. Is it possible that tie rods also need replacement?

Jay 535i
02-03-2006, 03:48 PM
How do you do it? I won't do that job myself; mechanic will do. But I would like to know what he will be doing.

He'll probably use a groovy computerized jig with lasers and stuff that will tell him what adjustments are necessary and confirm when it's all lined up.

t_marat
02-03-2006, 03:50 PM
Will he adjust the tie rods, thrust arms, or something else?

Jay 535i
02-03-2006, 03:54 PM
Will he adjust the tie rods, thrust arms, or something else?

Gee, I don't know.

As far as I know a general alignment will address your toe and camber. I don't know how those things are adjusted.

Kobe Diesel
02-03-2006, 05:24 PM
If you're just changing your thrust arms, you dont need an alignment - unless the car needs one to begin with. If you change any of the steering links then you will need an alignment for sure.

My alignment has been right on, I replaced my thrust arms not too long ago, and the alignment is still right on.

Kobe Diesel
02-03-2006, 05:26 PM
Also, if you bring it for alignment and the mechanic tells you that all wheels need to aligned, tell him to piss up a rope.

632 Regal
02-04-2006, 03:36 AM
the clunks have to be isolated, theres several things that it could be.

backup at a slow speed and jab the brakes a few times, if a clunk its balljloints, same thing going forwards. if you dont get a clunk but do on small bumps it could be the sway bar links,,,,or the dtrut collars (which it turned out to be for me).

thrust arms and control arms not really a need for alighnment unless obvious bt steering wheel or pulling, wit any other steering link its almost mandatory.

t_marat
02-05-2006, 10:45 AM
Changed both upper and lower thrust arms. I no longer have that horrible clunk sound. But still have a clunk noise, much less frequent and much less loud while driving over bumps. And still vibration on the steering wheel. I can feel and "hear" that vibration; coming from somewhere midway between steering wheel and front wheels.

Alexlind123
02-05-2006, 10:55 AM
I didnt get an alignment after i replace my thrust arm bushings, but that was only the bushings. I live at the end of a nearly 1 mile very bumpy gravel driveway, and on the most bumpy spots i have a vibration (i would describe it as a "looseness") in the same spot as you. I plan to get it up in the air and thoughouly check the front suspension parts for looseness, i will also check the collar nut or whatever it is on the steering column that there was a thread about awhile back.

t_marat
02-05-2006, 10:59 AM
how do you check it? everything down there is very stiff, no matter how you shake it you cannot get a clunk sound :(