PDA

View Full Version : Fuel Stabilizer?

DaCan23
02-02-2006, 04:02 PM
So last night saw a ad on TV for Fuel Stabilizer and I gets a tinkin.... should I of put some in the tank of the E24 for its winter storage...

It's been in storage for 2 months, I've gone and started it up 3 times for about 10-30 mins.... It'll be in there for 2-3 more months depending on the weather...

Worth it now, thoughts or just general info of when you should use this stuff?

Alexlind123
02-02-2006, 06:22 PM
I think i would. Better safe than sorry.

Jay 535i
02-02-2006, 11:29 PM
So last night saw a ad on TV for Fuel Stabilizer and I gets a tinkin.... should I of put some in the tank of the E24 for its winter storage...

It's been in storage for 2 months, I've gone and started it up 3 times for about 10-30 mins.... It'll be in there for 2-3 more months depending on the weather...

Worth it now, thoughts or just general info of when you should use this stuff?

You should use fuel stabilizer if you're going to have the same tank of fuel for six months or more. It just prevents the chemical changes that happen to fuel when it sits. It can't hurt.

If you're storing your car over the winter, you should not start it up periodically! Doing so just fills the exhaust system with moisture, and doesn't do any good.

The car doesn't need to be started. Just disconnect the battery, put in some fuel stabilizer and leave the car alone. That's the best way to store a car over the winter.

You may want to put it in neutral and push it forward or back six inches every few weeks so you don't flatspot the tires, and it's not a good idea to leave the handbrake on for weeks at a time.

If you're storing a car for years, you should drain all the fluids.

632 Regal
02-03-2006, 12:58 AM
good job! I didnt use stabilizer in a few things and now get to deal with draining crappy gas out, draining the residual from the carburetors etc...thing is I have a bunch of stabilizer on the shelf.

You should use fuel stabilizer if you're going to have the same tank of fuel for six months or more. It just prevents the chemical changes that happen to fuel when it sits. It can't hurt.

If you're storing your car over the winter, you should not start it up periodically! Doing so just fills the exhaust system with moisture, and doesn't do any good.

The car doesn't need to be started. Just disconnect the battery, put in some fuel stabilizer and leave the car alone. That's the best way to store a car over the winter.

You may want to put it in neutral and push it forward or back six inches every few weeks so you don't flatspot the tires, and it's not a good idea to leave the handbrake on for weeks at a time.

Jay 535i
02-03-2006, 02:55 PM
good job! I didnt use stabilizer in a few things and now get to deal with draining crappy gas out, draining the residual from the carburetors etc...thing is I have a bunch of stabilizer on the shelf.

It's good in lawnmowers, leafblowers, jet skis, etc. too. Any time you have to store gasoline for more than a couple of months.

How long has it been on your shelf? I don't know if stabilizer can go bad. ;)

DaCan23
02-03-2006, 03:02 PM
THANKS. I wasnt gonna start it anymore as my dad suggested unless I run it out on the road for an hour or longer it didnt do any good.

Jay 535i
02-03-2006, 03:07 PM
THANKS. I wasnt gonna start it anymore as my dad suggested unless I run it out on the road for an hour or longer it didnt do any good.

You're welcome.

Yeah, if you're gonna DRIVE the car, that's fine. By all means, drive it. But idling it for 20 minutes does no good.

A 20 minute drive should be adequate. An hour is more than you need, though it won't hurt. It most important that, if you're going to start the car, you don't shut it off until EVERYHING has reached operating temp. That means the transmission and exhaust, too -- not just the engine.

Anything less does more harm than good. And your car is really just a pile of metal. It doesn't mind sitting unattended for long periods of time. But if you're going to use it, use it as it was intended. That is, DRIVE it! :D

DaCan23
02-03-2006, 03:14 PM
As much as I'd LOVE TO DRIVE IT.... the Cluster is still in my bro's hands for repair.... but still driveable if I put the steering wheel back on... but it is sooooo clean considering it was waxed 1 week before storage... :-( miss my 6er sooooo much....

You're welcome.

Yeah, if you're gonna DRIVE the car, that's fine. By all means, drive it. But idling it for 20 minutes does no good.

A 20 minute drive should be adequate. An hour is more than you need, though it won't hurt. It most important that, if you're going to start the car, you don't shut it off until EVERYHING has reached operating temp. That means the transmission and exhaust, too -- not just the engine.

Anything less does more harm than good. And your car is really just a pile of metal. It doesn't mind sitting unattended for long periods of time. But if you're going to use it, use it as it was intended. That is, DRIVE it! :D

Jay 535i
02-03-2006, 03:16 PM
As much as I'd LOVE TO DRIVE IT.... the Cluster is still in my bro's hands for repair.... but still driveable if I put the steering wheel back on... but it is sooooo clean considering it was waxed 1 week before storage... :-( miss my 6er sooooo much....

I hear ya. The 635 is beeeaaautiful!

Do yourself a favor and put a car cover on her. Otherwise your gorgeous wax job will just be dust soup by spring.

DaCan23
02-03-2006, 03:20 PM
Did that about a month ago, was going to get a noah one, but short on $$$ for that, so just got good generic one, the roof of the stoage unit was droppin some white fluffy stuff on the car perhaps oxidaztion stuff I dont know.

In the next few days I'll go dump some stabilizer in da tank.

I hear ya. The 635 is beeeaaautiful!

Do yourself a favor and put a car cover on her. Otherwise your gorgeous wax job will just be dust soup by spring.

Jay 535i
02-03-2006, 03:39 PM
Did that about a month ago, was going to get a noah one, but short on $$$ for that, so just got good generic one, the roof of the stoage unit was droppin some white fluffy stuff on the car perhaps oxidaztion stuff I dont know.

In the next few days I'll go dump some stabilizer in da tank.

Cool. I'd read the instructions on the stabilizer carefully. I haven't used it before. They might suggest you jump up and down on the bumper to mix it around, or suggest a certain level of fuel in the tank that's optimal (I think full is best).

SRR2
02-03-2006, 04:41 PM
You can probably find fuel stabilizer stabilizer on ebay.

Jay 535i
02-03-2006, 04:42 PM
You can probably find fuel stabilizer stabilizer on ebay.

Just put a Turbonator in there and you get the same results, with improved power!

DanH
02-03-2006, 05:21 PM
You need to add stabilizer to any gasoline that is being stored for more than 60 days, otherwise it will develop varnish deposits.

I use Sta-bil brand. Just mix how much you need for the whole tank with a gallon or so of fresh gas and dump it all into the tank, then it will mix up better.

http://www.iboats.com/mall/image/vendor/16/big/38577.gif

SRR2
02-03-2006, 05:27 PM
I was of course joking about the fuel stabilizer stabilizer, but did you notice the fairly short shelf life of this stuff? The last bottle I bought was dated only about two years out.

I'd like to know what's in it. Every time I smell it, the only thing that comes to mind is old fashioned iodine disinfectant. Looks like iodine, smells like iodine, feels like iodine. I'm betting that's exactly what it is.

Jay 535i
02-03-2006, 07:31 PM
I was of course joking about the fuel stabilizer stabilizer, but did you notice the fairly short shelf life of this stuff? The last bottle I bought was dated only about two years out.

I'd like to know what's in it. Every time I smell it, the only thing that comes to mind is old fashioned iodine disinfectant. Looks like iodine, smells like iodine, feels like iodine. I'm betting that's exactly what it is.

Quick, to the Bat-lab!

632 Regal
02-04-2006, 03:32 AM
I got the stay-bil crap about a month.. ohh and 3 years ago, now from not using it the shingles above my deck are all deteriorated, should have used this right away. chicken coop is wet and cant have sex on the picnic table on the deck either...

take this as a warning, use the stabilizer products before it's too late!