PDA

View Full Version : Mirror Removal

94_e34_525i
02-02-2006, 03:14 PM
Hi, I am new to these forums and I have a little problem with my 94 525i. I know BMW changed the mirror style in 92 for the exterior mirrors, however I do not know how to remove the glass from the mirror housing. I have a bentley manual and it says that there is a hole under my mirror, but there is none, so how do I take out the glass? Thanks for your help.

calmloki
02-02-2006, 03:30 PM
Hmm. Interesting - just checked Bentley and my '93 525iT and we're in the same boat! Your mirror connects to the car with a "stalk" at the lower corner rather than all along one side, as the Bentley picture shows?
Tom Walrod

pbrennan10
02-02-2006, 03:49 PM
i had a junk mirror that i got to experiment with so i got a screwdriver and pried very lightly and it popped right off.

calmloki
02-02-2006, 04:04 PM
Pried what - I've R&Red mirrors on E28 and E30 - this is different. Are you prying off the body colored forward shell first?
Tom Walrod

jjw
02-02-2006, 04:37 PM
Just pry it off, they are clip on.

Black 535i
02-02-2006, 05:24 PM
The carefully pry it forward, it is clipon and clip off as everyone says.

Just pry it off, they are clip on.

calmloki
02-02-2006, 08:28 PM
Guys - hate being stupid, but WHAT are you prying? The glass only? Can someone take a pic of the back of (whatever) showing the clips? Sounds like a totally different thing than the E28 or E30 rotating locking ring setup.
Thanks, Tom Walrod

genphreak
02-02-2006, 09:13 PM
Guys - hate being stupid, but WHAT are you prying? The glass only? Can someone take a pic of the back of (whatever) showing the clips? Sounds like a totally different thing than the E28 or E30 rotating locking ring setup.
Thanks, Tom WalrodOn the e28, e30 and early e34 mirrors, you have to know how to stick a screwdriver into the hole. It takes a knack and prying breaks the mechanism.

On the later e34 ones you just pry- I use all my fingers along the plastic mirror edge to prevent the mirror bending from a point load (should you be silly and use a screwdriver! Beware of the heater element wires connected to the mirror when it pops :) Nick

calmloki
02-02-2006, 09:26 PM
" Use the adjuster and turn it up as much as possible. The carefully pry it forward, it is clipon and clip off as everyone says."

"On the later e34 ones you just pry- I use all my fingers along the plastic mirror edge to prevent the mirror bending from a point load (should you be silly and use a screwdriver! Beware of the heater element wires connected to the mirror when it pops."

Thanks, all is now clear - hate those "Oh ****!" moments when you realize you were prying the wrong thing or in the wrong direction. Usually accompanied by the snap of breking attachment bits.
Tom