PDA

View Full Version : Update on my Ice + Curb incident.

McWatters
02-02-2006, 12:12 PM
So the indy called my today with this news. Upper control arm is real ****ed, lower control arm is a bit ****ed. Need to be replaced. Lower is 115 upper is 165 (canadian prices)

Total shindig is gunna cost me about 600 dollars. A curb cost me 600 dollars. o and i still have to fix the rim.

wooohooo. thank god im not living in my own place or responsible for some other major expense. Besides insurance.

cheers

J.McWatters

skr
02-02-2006, 12:36 PM
those prices seem kinda steep. ever consider shopin' at the wrekers for some of the stuff?
i got a upper control arm in good condition for 30 bucks a year ago. i know i should have bought it new ,safety, etc, etc. But 30 vs 150 is kind of tempting. just a thought.

632 Regal
02-02-2006, 12:52 PM
what?? junk yard parts to replace a normal wear item?

McWatters, dont you work on your cars? 600 sounds about right, make sure he uses Lemforder parts so you dont have to replace them next year. Usually both sides are replaced at the same time as the bushings go out often. Also make sure he tightens both arms inder the weight of the car.

those prices seem kinda steep. ever consider shopin' at the wrekers for some of the stuff?
i got a upper control arm in good condition for 30 bucks a year ago. i know i should have bought it new ,safety, etc, etc. But 30 vs 150 is kind of tempting. just a thought.

skr
02-02-2006, 01:59 PM
i know it's wrong, i know it's bad, but i just couldn't help it. the pivoting part didn't move too freely and bushing seamed ok.
and hey, it ain't gonna just break and send me rollin on 3 weels in the next tree. hopefully it's gonna clunk first. or show some movement when i put her on a lift. hopefully...

McWatters
02-02-2006, 02:12 PM
I work on my car for some things however i have limited knowledge tho. and i figured for something as importat as the control arms i better have them done by someone who knows what their doing.

cheers

J.McWatters

Jay 535i
02-02-2006, 02:12 PM
Those parts were probably in need of replacement soon, anyway.

Be grateful the damage wasn't worse.

McWatters
02-02-2006, 02:41 PM
Yes that is very true. It could of been lot worse. car wise and injury wise. so im happy with the 600 dollars.

cheers

J.McWatters

pyro
02-02-2006, 04:02 PM
wait how did you hit the curb? streght on or like just slightly hit it while driving?

Zeuk in Oz
02-02-2006, 05:18 PM
So the indy called my today with this news. Upper control arm is real ****ed, lower control arm is a bit ****ed. Need to be replaced. Lower is 115 upper is 165 (canadian prices)

Total shindig is gunna cost me about 600 dollars. A curb cost me 600 dollars. o and i still have to fix the rim.

wooohooo. thank god im not living in my own place or responsible for some other major expense. Besides insurance.

cheers

J.McWatters
Be thankful you don't live in Oz where those prices would have been 300 and 400 Canadian.

I would suggest you investigate doing them yourself - spend the labour on doing the other sides.

GJPinAU
02-02-2006, 05:43 PM
Let's see... McWatters, you've had your licence for 5 mins and I've had mine for 35 years. We both have done the same thing to our cars, BUT you have the excuse of ice on the road.

Good luck, I know what this repair is like. Just when I thought I had the car dialed I go and stuff it into a curb and bent the strut, curbed the wheel real bad. Hey it's only money!:(

Greg

McWatters
02-02-2006, 08:31 PM
:( fookin curbs cost alot these days,

haha maybe ill just get all the bad expierences over with in the first month of me driving. Ah well its part of learnin how to drive i suppose

cheers

J.McWatters

pyro
02-02-2006, 09:30 PM
I naild a curb my 3 rd month driving so don't feel bad had to repplace uper and lower controll arms...

Alexlind123
02-02-2006, 11:50 PM
i have have my lisence for over 6 month now and i havent crashed...yet.

McWatters
02-03-2006, 12:58 AM
knock on wood

cheers

J.McWatters

632 Regal
02-03-2006, 01:29 AM
think your gonna post another kill story about street racing in the next few weeks?

lmao.

Gayle
02-03-2006, 08:42 AM
A couple of years ago my husband hit a curb with such force that I bounced and hit my head on the roof on the car hard enough to really hurt. No weather related excuses either--70 degrees and sunny. It was caused by the distraction of his mother in the back seat.

Cactuar
02-03-2006, 08:53 AM
McWatters how long have you had your license?

I've had mine for three months and so far so good. The rear did step out of line a few times though (black ice), good thing I played a lot of gran turismo... and no curbs around

DanDombrowski
02-03-2006, 09:18 AM
Same here, nailed a curb in the Volvo, only thing that saved me from going into a lake was the fact that I hit a tree too when I went over the curb. I learned two important lessons:

Be careful when driving and when the insurance company asks if they can use used parts, you say no!

Alexlind123
02-03-2006, 10:19 AM
McWatters how long have you had your license?

I've had mine for three months and so far so good. The rear did step out of line a few times though (black ice), good thing I played a lot of gran turismo... and no curbs around

The rear end can get a bit loose at times in wet weather, but i have since learned to accelerate less quickly from a stop. And 632 regal, if you are talking about me, i have to remind you that it was an insane soccer mom in a gmc envoy and barely above legal limits on a multi-lane highway with very light traffic; not a neck and neck street race with a vtec honda to 140mph on a two-way two-lane country road. In all of the accidents that friends of mine have had (including one in which i was a passenger that involved two totaled cars and one party with numerous internal injuries), not one was caused by a casual acceleration match to the speed limit. There is far more danger associated with people being just plain STUPID than with anything that i will ever do or have ever done.

Torque
02-03-2006, 12:57 PM
Over 2 years of driving; never hit anything except lightly rear ending our Audi in the driveway ... slipped on ice and bam. Broke my euro lic. plate.

mikell
02-03-2006, 01:05 PM
39 years - one collision - other guy's fault.