PDA

View Full Version : To chip or not to chip - '92 525i Touring

jdt10768
02-02-2006, 11:43 AM
Is there any use in adding an EAT chip to my 525i wagon. It's got 112k miles, automatic, runs well. No major problems. Will I notice a difference. Is it worth doing? jt

McWatters
02-02-2006, 11:44 AM
Its always worth an EAT unless ur a sunday driver.

cheers

J.McWatters

t_marat
02-02-2006, 11:47 AM
When you add a chip, you just swap it? and nothing else?

calmloki
02-02-2006, 01:27 PM
Is there any use in adding an EAT chip to my 525i wagon. It's got 112k miles, automatic, runs well. No major problems. Will I notice a difference. Is it worth doing? jt

I wonder the same thing with regard to my '93 525iT. My thinking is that the automatic transmission has set shift points which will not take advantage of the EAT chip higher rev limit. Manual shifting is not advised for transmission longevity, so maybe the only gain is in smoother running? What say you slushbox/EAT chip drivers?
Tom Walrod

Jay 535i
02-02-2006, 01:53 PM
I wonder the same thing with regard to my '93 525iT. My thinking is that the automatic transmission has set shift points which will not take advantage of the EAT chip higher rev limit. Manual shifting is not advised for transmission longevity, so maybe the only gain is in smoother running? What say you slushbox/EAT chip drivers?
Tom Walrod

I'm a "slushbox/EAT driver", and I can tell you that you will notice an improvement. Power is slightly better across the whole rev range, but especially down low. It's a small improvement, but certainly noticeable, and worth the $200, IMHO.

Shift points and rev limits are irrelevant except in that 0.01% of the time you are driving at ten tenths. In daily driving, you will notice and appreciate the increased torque.

YMMV, since I have the 'big' six, but I think my experience is typical.

calmloki
02-02-2006, 03:20 PM
An improvement in power would be a good thing. This 525 has about the same horsepower and torque numbers as my '83 533i manual but, being a modern touring, is dragging about 900# more weight around. Really feel the difference, especially when cornering and first starting out. Heavy! The 533i feels really light and nimble now. Sure a lot easier to do a water pump though!
Tom Walrod

Jay 535i
02-02-2006, 03:28 PM
Keep in mind you won't get a huge improvement, and it does take several miles before the ECU adapts and unleashes the full effects of the chip. But you will get $200 worth of improvement, IMHO. No other mods in that price range will yeild as tangible a result.

Scott C
02-02-2006, 05:18 PM
I do recommend the EAT chip. I could never go back to stock. I have a 95 525 (not the touring) and really do notice the difference when accelerating from a complete stop. When I first started driving this car (without the chip), my biggest complaint was the distance/force required on the accelerator pedal to get the car going. The EAT chip significantly improved the engine sensitivity (did not have to push the pedal as much for same accel) and thus made the car more drivable in everyday use.

Do it!

Scott

KB535i
02-02-2006, 05:36 PM
I had a 535i AUTO and I put in a Jim Conforti (JC) chip. I didnt notice a big differance at first, but later after awhile it was very noticable. A chip is a must with these cars. EAT=$198, JC=$250.

1995 525i
02-03-2006, 09:10 AM
I had a 535i AUTO and I put in a Jim Conforti (JC) chip. I didnt notice a big differance at first, but later after awhile it was very noticable. A chip is a must with these cars. EAT=$198, JC=$250.

I've been told that if I get a performance chip like the Conforti or EAT, I should also get a transmission chip.. I have only seen that offered by Dinan and they charge $498 for both. Is it worth it and do I need the transmission chip?

Michael

Jay 535i
02-03-2006, 02:25 PM
I've been told that if I get a performance chip like the Conforti or EAT, I should also get a transmission chip.. I have only seen that offered by Dinan and they charge $498 for both. Is it worth it and do I need the transmission chip?

Michael

The two are totally seperate. You can certainly enjoy one or the other without having them both.

I think there are only one or two guys on here with the transmission chip.

1995 525i
02-03-2006, 03:10 PM
The two are totally seperate. You can certainly enjoy one or the other without having them both.

I think there are only one or two guys on here with the transmission chip.

What's the benefit of the tranny chip? sounds as if they both can be enjoyed seperate then together they might make a real treat. :D

Jay 535i
02-03-2006, 03:17 PM
What's the benefit of the tranny chip? sounds as if they both can be enjoyed seperate then together they might make a real treat. :D

http://dinancars.com/Series.asp?Series=15&Chassis=14&Model=62&Class=Driveline%20Tuning#1469

Sporty acceleration is no longer the sole domain of those who like to shift gears; Dinan Automatic Transmission Software welcomes you to the performance zone. To fully utilize the extra power extracted by Dinan Engine Performance Products, the transmission software raises the shift points to a higher rpm for faster acceleration in both the "Sport" and "Economy" modes, allowing you to carry more road speed in each gear.

1995 525i
02-03-2006, 03:58 PM
http://dinancars.com/Series.asp?Series=15&Chassis=14&Model=62&Class=Driveline%20Tuning#1469

Guess I could have looked there first eh? Now if I can only find an extra $500 bucks lying around.

Michael

Jay 535i
02-03-2006, 04:03 PM
Guess I could have looked there first eh? Now if I can only find an extra $500 bucks lying around.

Michael

Start with the EAT chip. IMHO the tranny's stock S mode is pretty good.