PDA

View Full Version : correct terminology - get it right

F4Phantom
02-01-2006, 10:49 PM
On a light hearted note however this may come across, I am always frustrated when I hear incorrect words used and I also hate mis pronunciation. One of these is the term motor and engine. It’s an electric motor, and a petrol engine! These words are not interchangeable.

I am more than happy to be corrected.

BTW in Australia we have a bad habbit of pronouncing "H" as "haych" when I am sure you will all agree it's actually "aich"

Thanks for reading the forum's very own england lesson.

SRR2
02-01-2006, 11:01 PM
I think you have a tough sell here. BMW = Bayerischen what?

rob101
02-01-2006, 11:09 PM
I think you have a tough sell here. BMW = Bayerischen what?
a motor is anything that creates motion and an engine is anything that converts thermal energy into motion.

Alexlind123
02-01-2006, 11:42 PM
So, is it "five thirty five" or "five three five"?

rob101
02-01-2006, 11:45 PM
So, is it "five thirty five" or "five three five"?
its five hundred and thirty-five :p

F4Phantom
02-02-2006, 12:02 AM
do i have to explain the basics of bmw numbering again? the 535 refers to the engine having five hundred and thrity five cubic inches.

rob101
02-02-2006, 12:05 AM
do i have to explain the basics of bmw numbering again? the 535 refers to the engine having five hundred and thrity five cubic inches.
lol oh mate, could imagine if bmw made a bigger bix six crate engine (like the 500 ci for chevy) would have to be 4.0L or something, man that'd be cool
edit: question how big can you stroke an m30?

F4Phantom
02-02-2006, 12:12 AM
lol oh mate, could imagine if bmw made a big block bix six crate engine (like the 500 ci for chevy) would have to be 4.0L or something, man that'd be cool

Yeah I if in the bmw showroom a few years ago, I would insist I take the 850 for a spin too. I think BMW were basicly making a funny car for the average joe when they put 850 ci's in a 2 door coupe - not enough power they said??

t_marat
02-02-2006, 12:13 AM
What about "motor oil"?
http://www.recycleoil.org/

liquidtiger720
02-02-2006, 12:22 AM

wth.

I always thought of it as...

5 for the series 3.5 for the liters

oh wells

Blitzkrieg Bob
02-02-2006, 12:23 AM
I think I'll go chunder now.

mystical_wings
02-02-2006, 01:10 AM
Are you seriously trying to say the 535 is a 535 cubic inch block??your smoking some serious crack bro.

Incantation
02-02-2006, 01:11 AM
how about an OT in front of this useless post
;)

Zeuk in Oz
02-02-2006, 01:18 AM
What a challenge - to dismount a pedant from a lofty height. :D

May I suggest usage will depend on location : eg a motor in the UK often refers to the car, not the engine.

Getting worked up about such things will drive you insane ! ;)

It makes just as much sense to talk about the fact that yanks can't spell ! :D

While we are on the topic however, let's talk about transitive and intransitive verbs.................

BTW, five hundred and thirty five in the States = 50035 whereas in Oz it is 535 !

Live & let live - life's too short - as long as you know what is meant, get over it ! :D

F4Phantom
02-02-2006, 02:03 AM
Are you seriously trying to say the 535 is a 535 cubic inch block??your smoking some serious crack bro.

didnt you know?? you may also find it interesting to note that bmw 2002 had a two thousand and two cubic inch engine (4 cylinder)

Kristuphir
02-02-2006, 02:16 AM
On a light hearted note however this may come across, I am always frustrated when I hear incorrect words used and I also hate mis pronunciation. One of these is the term motor and engine. It’s an electric motor, and a petrol engine! These words are not interchangeable.

I am more than happy to be corrected.

BTW in Australia we have a bad habbit of pronouncing "H" as "haych" when I am sure you will all agree it's actually "aich"

Thanks for reading the forum's very own england lesson.

Then again, there's no space in "mispronunciation" and "habit" has only one B...

How about 535 cubic acres? :)

angrypancake
02-02-2006, 02:21 AM
dude it's definitely 5 series, 3.5L motor/engine/powersmydamncar word thing. drunk.

oh and i learned back in 4th grade (seriously) that it's five hundred thirty five, with no and. whatever, like i could count that high anyways.

F4Phantom
02-02-2006, 02:53 AM
Then again, there's no space in "mispronunciation" and "habit" has only one B...

How about 535 cubic acres? :)

You cant be seious mate, you expect me to believe that an engine can possibly be 535 cubic acres, that comment is utterly laughable. Seriously I dont think you understand just how big an acre is. Just imagine an engine bay big enough to hold a block 535 cubic acres. For the future, you were off by a factor of 10, the 535i engine is 5.35 cubic acres. I learned that half way through grade 3.

F4Phantom
02-02-2006, 02:55 AM
;)

rob101
02-02-2006, 02:56 AM
It makes just as much sense to talk about the fact that yanks can't spell ! :D

yes they can, english came from america. It is us who spell like people from england who are wrong, don't you know anything?:p After all if the language came from england they would call it...........;)

Zeuk in Oz
02-02-2006, 03:07 AM
yes they can, english came from america. It is us who spell like people from england who are wrong, don't you know anything?:p After all if the language came from england they would call it...........;)
There is actually a reasonable argument that we should all speak like the Indians do - you know - they copied Peter Sellers !

After all, there are a lot more of them than any other nationality that speak English so we should follow their lead ! :D

Good-en-ess grac-iouus !;)

632 Regal
02-02-2006, 03:27 AM
I can whack it like I was in prison, doin the weeds around the fence and all.

Gayle
02-02-2006, 04:16 AM
I am so glad there is this stupid thread where we are arguing about which English to speak because all English is fubar. I have just been waiting for an opportunity to share the following:

If you ever feel stupid, then just read on. If you've learned to speak fluent English, you must be a genius! This little treatise on the lovely language we share is only for the brave. Peruse at your leisure, English lovers. Reasons why the English language is so hard to learn:

1) The bandage was wound around the wound.
2) The farm was used to produce produce.
3) The dump was so full that it had to refuse more refuse.
4) We must polish the Polish furniture.
5) He could lead if he would get the lead out.
6) The soldier decided to desert his dessert in the desert.
7) Since there is no time like the present, he thought it was time to present the present..
8) A bass was painted on the head of the bass drum
9) When shot at, the dove dove into the bushes.
10) I did not object to the object.
11) The insurance was invalid for the invalid.
12) There was a row among the oarsmen about how to row.
13) They were too close to the door to close it.
14) The buck does funny things when the does are present.
15) A seamstress and a sewer fell down into a sewer line.
16) To help with planting, the farmer taught his sow to sow.
17) The wind was too strong to wind the sail
18) After a number of injections my jaw got number.
19) Upon seeing the tear in the painting I shed a tear.
20) I had to subject the subject to a series of tests
21) How can I intimate this to my most intimate friend?

There is no egg in eggplant nor ham in hamburger; neither apple nor pine in pineapple. English muffins weren't invented in England or French fries in France (Surp rise!). Sweetmeats are candies while sweetbreads, which aren't sweet, are meat.

Quicksand works slowly, boxing rings are square and a guinea pig is neither from Guinea nor is it a pig. And why is it that writers write but fingers don't fing, grocers don't groce and hammers don't ham?

If the plural of tooth is teeth, why isn't the plural of booth be eth? One goose, 2 geese. So one moose,! 2 meese? Doesn't it seem crazy that you can make amends but not one amend. If you have a bunch of odds and ends and get rid of all but one of them, what do you call it? Is it an odd, or an end?

If teachers taught, why didn't preacher s praught? If a vegetarian eats vegetables, what does a humanitarian eat? In what language do people recite at a play and play at a recital? Ship by truck and send cargo by ship? Have noses that run and feet that smell?

How can a slim chance and a fat chance be the same, while a wise man and a wise guy are opposites? You have to marvel at the unique lunacy of a language in which your house can burn up as it burns down, in which you fill in a form by filling it out, and in which, an alarm goes off by going on.

English was invented by people, not computers, and it reflects the creativity o f the human race, which, of course, is not a race at all. That is why, when the stars are out, they are visible, but when the lights are out, they are invisible.

P.S. - Why doesn't "Buick" rhyme with "quick"?

wingman
02-02-2006, 04:52 AM
didnt you know?? you may also find it interesting to note that bmw 2002 had a two thousand and two cubic inch engine (4 cylinder)
my 1600-2 had a 16002 cubic inch capacity. Beat that!

rob101
02-02-2006, 05:38 AM
There is actually a reasonable argument that we should all speak like the Indians do - you know - they copied Peter Sellers !

After all, there are a lot more of them than any other nationality that speak English so we should follow their lead ! :D

Good-en-ess grac-iouus !;)
well it certainly would make it easier for telemarketers. This must be the stupidest thread ever:(

mikell
02-02-2006, 05:43 AM
Can you have one "smithereen"? What the heck is a smithereen, anyway?

mattyb
02-02-2006, 06:03 AM
It Does!

mattyb
02-02-2006, 06:05 AM
stone the crows, what r u flamin galahs on about ere? (for Gayle)

SRR2
02-02-2006, 06:29 AM
Wouldn't the 1600-2 be 1598 cubic inches? One of our bad habits I suppose, implying something's bigger than it really is.

Jr ///M5
02-02-2006, 06:37 AM

Name a word that rhymes with "orange"....:D

and why do we, "Park on a driveway and drive on a parkway?" ;)

Yes, the kings english....what a wonderful language.

Jr England

dacoyote
02-02-2006, 08:01 AM
This is the biggest waste of space ever on the forum.... also....

it's five hundred thirty five... not five hundred and thirty five.

Gayle
02-02-2006, 09:06 AM
stone the crows, what r u flamin galahs on about ere? (for Gayle)

MattyB You know I love it when you speak that incomprehensible Aussie speak.:)

DanDombrowski
02-02-2006, 09:30 AM

Because Buicks are slow ;-)

ryan roopnarine
02-02-2006, 12:00 PM
my 1600-2 had a 16002 cubic inch capacity. Beat that!

my 525i has a 525 inch engine. on the back, it says "imported for bmw by detroit diesel". i like to tow busses around with it in my spare time.

ps...
i say it five twenty five -eye
i find thatt the only people that say 700 series or seven hundred fifty are people that have only heard mercedes vehicle nomenclature and don't want to sound stupid when they identify a particular car--same with people that sell 20 year old bmw crap on ebay thinking it has to be worth tres $$$$$. people that don't know better.

Booster
02-02-2006, 12:01 PM
Because Buicks are slow ;-)

Buick.........ah, now there's a brand/mark that I've always been surprised how it manages to continue so badly , year after year. Shoot that dying horse please.:p

Oh,and good list there Gayle ! I've always enjoyed those comparatives.It IS scary ,however, how many folks really couldn't read through that whole list without tripping up.

The written and spoken word is an art form all itself.....if to transend culture and race.;)

.....I like the sound of " five-twenty-five -I. personally.

Vinny:D

Paul in NZ
02-02-2006, 02:04 PM
its five three five,or three two five.or seven fourty or three one eight

Jay 535i
02-02-2006, 02:04 PM
mo·tor ( P ) Pronunciation Key (mtr)
n.

1. Something, such as a machine or an engine, that produces or imparts motion.

2. A device that converts any form of energy into mechanical energy, especially an internal-combustion engine or an arrangement of coils and magnets that converts electric current into mechanical power.

3. A motor vehicle, especially an automobile: “It was a night of lovers. All along the highway... motors were parked and dim figures were clasped in revery” (Sinclair Lewis).

Incantation
02-02-2006, 03:56 PM
again, seeing as how you've only been on this forum for 2 weeks

put an OT in Off-Topic threads; realistically you shouldn't waste forum bandwidth with this stuff. and don't forget to click on the sponsor banner links; that helps ed out.

rob101
02-02-2006, 04:08 PM
mo·tor ( P ) Pronunciation Key (mtr)
n.

1. Something, such as a machine or an engine, that produces or imparts motion.

2. A device that converts any form of energy into mechanical energy, especially an internal-combustion engine or an arrangement of coils and magnets that converts electric current into mechanical power.

3. A motor vehicle, especially an automobile: “It was a night of lovers. All along the highway... motors were parked and dim figures were clasped in revery” (Sinclair Lewis).
bloody oath

"When saying or writing out numbers, the British will insert an "and" before the tens and units, as in "one hundred and sixty-two" and "two thousand and three", whereas Americans will typically drop the "and" as in "two thousand three"; however, "two thousand and three" is also common."
I don't speak american english therefore five hundred AND thirty five is correct thanks for all your corrections but i do not nor ever will speak american english. Therefore you are wrong wrong wrong wrong :p

Zeuk in Oz
02-02-2006, 04:38 PM
I am so glad there is this stupid thread where we are arguing about which English to speak because all English is fubar. I have just been waiting for an opportunity to share the following:

If you ever feel stupid, then just read on. If you've learned to speak fluent English, you must be a genius! This little treatise on the lovely language we share is only for the brave. Peruse at your leisure, English lovers. Reasons why the English language is so hard to learn:

1) The bandage was wound around the wound.
2) The farm was used to produce produce.
3) The dump was so full that it had to refuse more refuse.
4) We must polish the Polish furniture.
5) He could lead if he would get the lead out.
6) The soldier decided to desert his dessert in the desert.
7) Since there is no time like the present, he thought it was time to present the present..
8) A bass was painted on the head of the bass drum
9) When shot at, the dove dove into the bushes.
10) I did not object to the object.
11) The insurance was invalid for the invalid.
12) There was a row among the oarsmen about how to row.
13) They were too close to the door to close it.
14) The buck does funny things when the does are present.
15) A seamstress and a sewer fell down into a sewer line.
16) To help with planting, the farmer taught his sow to sow.
17) The wind was too strong to wind the sail
18) After a number of injections my jaw got number.
19) Upon seeing the tear in the painting I shed a tear.
20) I had to subject the subject to a series of tests
21) How can I intimate this to my most intimate friend?

There is no egg in eggplant nor ham in hamburger; neither apple nor pine in pineapple. English muffins weren't invented in England or French fries in France (Surp rise!). Sweetmeats are candies while sweetbreads, which aren't sweet, are meat.

Quicksand works slowly, boxing rings are square and a guinea pig is neither from Guinea nor is it a pig. And why is it that writers write but fingers don't fing, grocers don't groce and hammers don't ham?

If the plural of tooth is teeth, why isn't the plural of booth be eth? One goose, 2 geese. So one moose,! 2 meese? Doesn't it seem crazy that you can make amends but not one amend. If you have a bunch of odds and ends and get rid of all but one of them, what do you call it? Is it an odd, or an end?

If teachers taught, why didn't preacher s praught? If a vegetarian eats vegetables, what does a humanitarian eat? In what language do people recite at a play and play at a recital? Ship by truck and send cargo by ship? Have noses that run and feet that smell?

How can a slim chance and a fat chance be the same, while a wise man and a wise guy are opposites? You have to marvel at the unique lunacy of a language in which your house can burn up as it burns down, in which you fill in a form by filling it out, and in which, an alarm goes off by going on.

English was invented by people, not computers, and it reflects the creativity o f the human race, which, of course, is not a race at all. That is why, when the stars are out, they are visible, but when the lights are out, they are invisible.

Well done Gayle !

What you are pointing out is that in "English", the exception proves the rule.

That is why despite the fact that English is very easy to speak badly - with only a very limited vocabulary - it is a very difficult language to speak well ! (Trust me - I know) ;)

Also variation does occur between countries - hence the posts about pronunciation of 535. I learnt this lesson the hard way when I gave my address over the phone to an American as five hundred and thirty five and it ended up addressed to 50035.

Paul in NZ is correct though when he says we pronounce it as five - three - five, three - one - eight, five - forty.

As said earlier, the purpose of a language is to communicate, and as long as we manage to understand what is intended, it has succeeded.

Blitzkrieg Bob
02-02-2006, 04:53 PM
But the Aussies, well they were sent...You know why....nudge, nudge, wink, wink...say no more!

rob101
02-02-2006, 05:03 PM
But the Aussies, well they were sent...You know why....nudge, nudge, wink, wink...say no more!
There are no convicts in my bloodline, I am sorry to inform you...

mattyb
02-02-2006, 06:31 PM
no flies on you mate

ryan roopnarine
02-02-2006, 06:49 PM
popo-zao
popo-zao

rob101
02-02-2006, 06:57 PM
no flies on you mate
I didn't mean it in a gloating way, perhaps more to inform americans that convict ancestory is rare... it is not a common thing. My ancestors migrated here in the 19th century of their own free will.:)

mystical_wings
02-02-2006, 08:47 PM
you guys are smoking good **** .a 5.0 mustang is only 302 cubic inches .v-8
If you believe that the 535 has anything to do with the cubic inches ,then I have a bridge id like to sell you.The guy at BMW said it was the litres and even that varies year to year,and laughed when I told him what was written

632 Regal
02-03-2006, 01:00 AM
nice...
Yeah I if in the bmw showroom a few years ago, I would insist I take the 850 for a spin too. I think BMW were basicly making a funny car for the average joe when they put 850 ci's in a 2 door coupe - not enough power they said??

632 Regal
02-03-2006, 01:03 AM
those are little fish that come in a small can.

Can you have one "smithereen"? What the heck is a smithereen, anyway?

wingman
02-03-2006, 01:52 AM
Wouldn't the 1600-2 be 1598 cubic inches? One of our bad habits I suppose, implying something's bigger than it really is.

Well I thought it did but this post has proved me wrong! I didn't know that the model designation showed engine capacity.

F4Phantom
02-03-2006, 02:55 AM
you guys are smoking good **** .a 5.0 mustang is only 302 cubic inches .v-8
If you believe that the 535 has anything to do with the cubic inches ,then I have a bridge id like to sell you.The guy at BMW said it was the litres and even that varies year to year,and laughed when I told him what was written

you'll never be late in a 308. How much was your bridge, I may be interested.

BimmerDude
02-03-2006, 03:09 AM
Well I thought it did but this post has proved me wrong! I didn't know that the model designation showed engine capacity.
I think we all know that, well not some of the other members. I've know this for 18 years, I'm 18. Well I'm american but this isn't a car savy country. For example- Ford 302 5.0, Chevy has the 305. I could be wrong but I don't think either one is within 10cc of 5 liters. Oh yeah 318i=3series 1.8 liter, 325i=3series 2.5liter, 999=9series 9.9liter.

BigKriss
02-03-2006, 03:12 AM
Why do people call front shocks, struts?

Gayle
02-03-2006, 07:59 AM
how about an OT in front of this useless post
;)

Can you believe that someone gave this thread a 5 star rating? When that happens, I always want to know who did it.

Jon K
02-03-2006, 10:52 AM
This is why the 525 and 535 are such close competitors, they are only 10 cubic inches off from one another and the 525 has more modern technology which makes up for it. The dual overhead cam on the late 525 makes up for the 10 cubic inches. This is also why with a 530 you can get 540 performance with just a chip.

Jay 535i
02-03-2006, 02:23 PM
The model designation doesn't always indicate the displacement.

When the big V8 got bumped from 4.0 to 4.4 litres, the model designations remained 540 (E39) and 740 (E38).

Also, back in the 80s there was a turbocharged 7 series called the 745. It's engine wasn't 4.5 litres, but that was the calculated equivelent for a naturally aspirated engine (3 litres x 1.5, IIRC).

:)

Zeuk in Oz
02-03-2006, 05:53 PM
I may be interested.

Correction : I might be interested.

May indicates permission - as in "you may have an ice cream".

Might indicates possibility - as in "it might rain".

:D

wingman
02-03-2006, 05:56 PM
Hey bimmerdude. I, like most others on this thread, have had tongues firmly placed in cheeks when replying to this one.;)

F4Phantom
02-03-2006, 11:26 PM
Correction : I might be interested.

May indicates permission - as in "you may have an ice cream".

Might indicates possibility - as in "it might rain".

:D

Hey Zeuk, I took the liberty of contacting my member of parliament, he sent a quick note to the PM, the PM shot it past the queen, and it seems your right, in the queens English of the commonwealth (yanks can ignore this but not the Canadians) "might" would have been the word of choice in the message I attempted to convey.

rob101
02-04-2006, 08:45 AM
Hey Zeuk, I took the liberty of contacting my member of parliament, he sent a quick note to the PM, the PM shot it past the queen, and it seems your right, in the queens English of the commonwealth (yanks can ignore this but not the Canadians) "might" would have been the word of choice in the message I attempted to convey.
The PM went above the Governor General's head to the queen directly? Without asking permission. Oh he's going to be pissed! Its going to be like Gough Whitlam all over again;)

wingman
02-04-2006, 08:57 AM
The term 'motor vehicle' is written into NSW legislation thus:
A motor vehicle is a vehicle designed to be propelled by an engine that forms a part of that vehicle.

Where does this leave the motor/engine argument. This stuff is written into NSW LAW!!! Road Transport (General) Act 1999.

Anthony (M5 in Calgary)
02-04-2006, 10:33 AM
http://www.angryflower.com/bobsqu.gif

Bob truly is an angry flower.

Zeuk in Oz
02-04-2006, 06:15 PM
The term 'motor vehicle' is written into NSW legislation thus:
A motor vehicle is a vehicle designed to be propelled by an engine that forms a part of that vehicle.

Where does this leave the motor/engine argument. This stuff is written into NSW LAW!!! Road Transport (General) Act 1999.
What would lawyers know about cars, or English for that matter ? :p

So this would mean that a motor vehicle has both a motor and an engine ? :D

Alexlind123
02-04-2006, 09:31 PM
An engine is just a specific type of motor. Thus, by using engine in context with a car you are being more specific and, some may argue, "more" correct.