PDA

View Full Version : Pics of your......radios

granit_silber
02-01-2006, 07:40 PM
Hey All,

I've been wanting to replace the headunit (and eventually) the components in my car. But I love the look of the stock one and how it fits in with the rest of the cabin (funny how that works). So far the units I've found with features I want have bright shiny faces and buttons or have a contrasting light scheme.

So I'm wondering if you've replaced your headunit could you post some pics of what the unit looks like in day and night?

In terms of feature set I want a headunit that
plays cd's
has an aux in (or other connection think: iPod)
has a light scheme that closly ressembles the stock backlighting

extra's
nav would be cool
LCD screen w/DVD playback would be cool
subtle would be VERY cool

Right now I'm really thinking about the business radio from the Z3.

Thanks!
-ashley

SC David
02-01-2006, 07:49 PM
My Alpine headunit. This picture kind of gives you an idea of how it looks during day or night. Obviously doesn't match too well, but I didn't buy it to look pretty. When the OBC still had a working bulb it matched up surprizingly well at night. CD/MP3 player is a little bit brighter, but the red/orange light went together nicely. Not the greatest cosmetic upgrade though.

http://www.supercars.net/pitlane/pics/1573948f.jpg

Qube
02-01-2006, 08:06 PM
JVC KD-LH910

Make the backlight any color you want. Day and night color settings.

http://www.bimmer.info/forum/attachment.php?attachmentid=1816&stc=1&d=1131075795

http://www.jvc.ca/product-images/KD-LH910.jpg

liquidtiger720
02-01-2006, 08:08 PM
Here's mine at night.
JVC KD-AR960
It plays mp3's and cd.
Also has aux input, sub out, and SD card reader!
http://www.jvc.com/product.jsp?modelId=MODL027435&pathId=52&page=1
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v457/liquidtiger720/IMG_0645Large.jpg

adamisbomb
02-01-2006, 08:17 PM
Ill post up one of mine tonight i have a panasonic mp3 deck that has red lit buttons and blue display, looks pretty good though. its not to flashy.

off topic...where would i find the bulb to make the three controls for the climate light up, the ones that control hot or cold and the knob for air speed coming out of the vents? those and the one that shows what gear im in are out. sorry to go offtopic though.

Decius
02-01-2006, 08:33 PM
Mine looks the same as liquidtiger720's if you flip the image cause my cars rhd.. i set it to amber aswell.. the surround was silver but i sprayed it black. Good little head unit

Kristuphir
02-01-2006, 08:40 PM
Nakamichi makes some very nice decks in subtle black with either orange or green backlighting...this is a bad photo but you can see a bunch at http://www.onlinecarstereo.com/CarAudio/ProductList.aspx?CategoryID=4&ManufacturerID=637 (google search)

I have the 400 in my E30 and it looks very nice. It sticks out like all other detachable face decks but it's black, subtle, has orange lighting, and sounds lovely.

Guapo
02-01-2006, 10:28 PM
http://www.guapozx.com/guapozx/d/3662-5/IMG_1976.JPG
http://www.guapozx.com/guapozx/d/3654-5/IMG_1978.JPG

Jay 535i
02-01-2006, 10:38 PM

That gets my vote.

Eric Clark
02-01-2006, 11:34 PM
That gets my vote.

Here is a pic from my car-

http://img46.imagevenue.com/aAfkjfp01fo1i-16465/loc24/644_IMG_0797.JPG

Gayle
02-01-2006, 11:43 PM
Ashley

Tell me more about this business radio thing. The clueless need more information. Are you saying there is something that looks stock but does all the modern tricks?

632 Regal
02-02-2006, 03:00 AM
heres mine, only looks red/orange with power up.

http://www.astro.rug.nl/~weygaert/tim1publicpic/antikythera/process/antikythera.2b.copyright.jpg

granit_silber
02-02-2006, 09:27 AM
Ashley

Tell me more about this business radio thing. The clueless need more information. Are you saying there is something that looks stock but does all the modern tricks?

Gayle,

You can retrofit the business radio from the Z3 into an e34 and have it work. It looks stock 'cause it is. the downside is you have to use the $150 iPod connecter and the radio will only control 6 playlists on the iPod with a maximum (total) of 300 songs.

So, it comes up short on the iPod interface, but I'd be able to play cd's and get rid on the annoying high-pitched whine when the ambient temp in my trunk drops below 60.
-ashley
[edit: You can also use the Denson Ice-Link which is cheaper and controls the entire iPod]

granit_silber
02-02-2006, 09:28 AM
Eric,

no pic :(
not found on server

-ashley

granit_silber
02-02-2006, 09:31 AM
Here's mine at night.
JVC KD-AR960
It plays mp3's and cd.
Also has aux input, sub out, and SD card reader!

Josh,
looks good! and I like the flat black face. couldnt find any info on iPod controls.
-ashley

ILoveMPower
02-02-2006, 09:33 AM
I would show mine, but it doesn't go well with my interior and I'm sure it's not what you're looking for. But, I didn't buy it, and it works.

liquidtiger720
02-02-2006, 10:10 AM
Josh,
looks good! and I like the flat black face. couldnt find any info on iPod controls.
-ashley

It has an aux input....so you could go taht route...and mount the ipod on the vent or something?

Jon K
02-02-2006, 10:46 AM
Old:

http://e34.digital7.com/Cars/1.jpg

New:

http://e34.digital7.com/Audio%20Setup/1.jpg

1995 525i
02-02-2006, 11:39 AM
Hey All,

I've been wanting to replace the headunit (and eventually) the components in my car. But I love the look of the stock one and how it fits in with the rest of the cabin (funny how that works). So far the units I've found with features I want have bright shiny faces and buttons or have a contrasting light scheme.

So I'm wondering if you've replaced your headunit could you post some pics of what the unit looks like in day and night?

In terms of feature set I want a headunit that
plays cd's
has an aux in (or other connection think: iPod)
has a light scheme that closly ressembles the stock backlighting

extra's
nav would be cool
LCD screen w/DVD playback would be cool
subtle would be VERY cool

Thanks!
-ashley

Here's mine:

http://www.cardomain.com/ride/668949/3

The head unit matches the interior well and the illumination color (one of 4) matches the interior lights as well. Went with the IPOD adapter in the glove box. IPOD Sits out of sight and I can control it with my headunit.

Good luck!

granit_silber
02-02-2006, 11:57 AM
Old:

http://e34.digital7.com/Cars/1.jpg

I think I could handle the shiny knobs and buttons if I had a screen. :)

New:

http://e34.digital7.com/Audio%20Setup/1.jpg

Now you're just showing off. :D
Maybe I should chuck the new radio/iPod idea and go the carpc(MAC) route. hmmm...............MacMini in the glovebox.......(scratches chin)

Honestly Jon, I think if I crossed your car with Brodee's I'd have my perfect e34!
cheers,
-ashley
ps are those ACS pedals?

granit_silber
02-02-2006, 12:01 PM
Ill post up one of mine tonight i have a panasonic mp3 deck that has red lit buttons and blue display, looks pretty good though. its not to flashy.

off topic...where would i find the bulb to make the three controls for the climate light up, the ones that control hot or cold and the knob for air speed coming out of the vents? those and the one that shows what gear im in are out. sorry to go offtopic though.
Adam,

I'm not sure what you mean by "find". If you mean where could you buy them I would reccomend www.bmaautoparts.com of your local BMW stealer.

If you mean where are they located then the lights that show your gear are located in the gauge cluster (search guage cluster removal). The lights for the climate control are located in the climate control panel (I think), which I think is accesssed by removing the unit from the front trim panel.

-ashley

Eric Clark
02-02-2006, 12:03 PM
Eric,

no pic :(
not found on server

-ashley

granit_silber
02-02-2006, 12:27 PM
Not Found

The requested URL /aAfkjfp01fo1i-16465/loc24/644_IMG_0797.JPG was not found on this server.
Apache/2.0.54 (Debian GNU/Linux) PHP/4.3.10-15 Server at img46.imagevenue.com Port 80

I dont know. SOmething maybe wonky with my browser
-ashley

dacoyote
02-02-2006, 01:29 PM
Not Found

The requested URL /aAfkjfp01fo1i-16465/loc24/644_IMG_0797.JPG was not found on this server.
Apache/2.0.54 (Debian GNU/Linux) PHP/4.3.10-15 Server at img46.imagevenue.com Port 80

I dont know. SOmething maybe wonky with my browser
-ashley

same thing here.....

It looks like the url has a session encoding on it...

Jay 535i
02-02-2006, 02:18 PM
Gayle,

You can retrofit the business radio from the Z3 into an e34 and have it work. It looks stock 'cause it is. the downside is you have to use the $150 iPod connecter and the radio will only control 6 playlists on the iPod with a maximum (total) of 300 songs.

So, it comes up short on the iPod interface, but I'd be able to play cd's and get rid on the annoying high-pitched whine when the ambient temp in my trunk drops below 60.
-ashley
[edit: You can also use the Denson Ice-Link which is cheaper and controls the entire iPod]

I thought that all iPod adapters had that 300 song limit and could only navigate playlists (not browse artists or albums). The Denison website doesn't seem to claim otherwise.

I'm going with the Alpine C33, with which I can use a tape adapter or wire the iPod directly into the CD changer input. I won't be able to control the iPod from the head unit, but I will have full iPod functionality, which the adpater kits don't offer.

Am I the only one who thinks Apple could make a bloody fortune if they developed a head unti that your iPod just slips into? Too far from their core business, I guess...

adamisbomb
02-02-2006, 05:17 PM
thatd be dope to have an ipod deck. i want to wire my ipod nano to my deck pretty soon i dont really want to use the fm transmitter

granit_silber
02-02-2006, 05:33 PM
Hey Jay,
That was your 1,111th post. :)

I didn't know the ice link had the restrictions.
-ashley

Striker169
02-02-2006, 07:17 PM
http://www.guapozx.com/guapozx/d/3662-5/IMG_1976.JPG
http://www.guapozx.com/guapozx/d/3654-5/IMG_1978.JPG

What unit is that?

Guapo
02-02-2006, 08:32 PM
What unit is that?

It is a Clarion DXZ745MP ... its a discontinued model, but can still be found a few places online.

1995 525i
02-03-2006, 08:55 AM
thatd be dope to have an ipod deck. i want to wire my ipod nano to my deck pretty soon i dont really want to use the fm transmitter

Bought one for my wife and the transmitter sounded so bad she could barely hear the music plus having to drive and select songs weret oo much for her so I took the IPOD. The Alpine Deck was $150 and the adapter was $99. Worth every penny. I can control my IPOD from the deck by selecting playlist, album or artist..then turn the dial on the deck to scroll through the selections. Having the IPOD in the glovebox keeps it safe from shifty eyes and heat (in the summer). Want my advice (maybe not)? Run out and get the deck and the adapter.

One other thing...the IPOD adapter from Alpine actually amplifies the music somewhat. I put in a CD in the player (Black Label Soceity) played a song then compared it to the same song coming from my IPOD. The song from the IPOD had more bass and was louder. Again..go get one!

Michael

Striker169
02-03-2006, 12:51 PM
Bought one for my wife and the transmitter sounded so bad she could barely hear the music plus having to drive and select songs weret oo much for her so I took the IPOD. The Alpine Deck was $150 and the adapter was $99. Worth every penny. I can control my IPOD from the deck by selecting playlist, album or artist..then turn the dial on the deck to scroll through the selections. Having the IPOD in the glovebox keeps it safe from shifty eyes and heat (in the summer). Want my advice (maybe not)? Run out and get the deck and the adapter.

One other thing...the IPOD adapter from Alpine actually amplifies the music somewhat. I put in a CD in the player (Black Label Soceity) played a song then compared it to the same song coming from my IPOD. The song from the IPOD had more bass and was louder. Again..go get one!

Michael

One note on the fact that the IPOD was louder than the CD, there is a setting on the headunit to control the loudness of different imputs. So that can be adjusted.

Jay 535i
02-03-2006, 02:17 PM

Does it display only the first 300 songs in any given list?

On my iPod, if I searched by artist, I wouldn't even get to the "C"s before reaching the 300th song. I have over 300 Beatles songs alone.

1995 525i
02-03-2006, 03:08 PM
Does it display only the first 300 songs in any given list?

On my iPod, if I searched by artist, I wouldn't even get to the "C"s before reaching the 300th song. I have over 300 Beatles songs alone.

It displays everything as you see it in iTunes (if you use iTunes). I put my favorite artists in a playlist folder by themselves. What I like is that I can scroll backwards so instead of starting at A and scroll until I get to S , I reverse scroll and begin at Z.

Michael

Jay 535i
02-03-2006, 03:11 PM
It displays everything as you see it in iTunes (if you use iTunes). I put my favorite artists in a playlist folder by themselves. What I like is that I can scroll backwards so instead of starting at A and scroll until I get to S , I reverse scroll and begin at Z.

Michael

Okay, sorry if I'm harping on this, but I just want to be sure I understand you 100%, because if you're right then I want one :)

If I list all the songs in iTunes, that's about 3600 songs. I can scoll through the whole list and play any song I like. I can do the same sorting by artist or album.

Are you saying that it is possible to have that same functionality on the Alpine unit? My understanding from the Alpine website (and others) was that, in any given list (be it a playlist or a list of all songs or artists on the iPod), only the first 300 items will be shown. That won't do for me. Have I misunderstood something?

BTW, nice pic of you listenting to Joe Walsh on Cardomain :)

My Maserati does one-eighty-five
I lost my license, now I don't drive

1995 525i
02-03-2006, 03:38 PM
Okay, sorry if I'm harping on this, but I just want to be sure I understand you 100%, because if you're right then I want one :)

If I list all the songs in iTunes, that's about 3600 songs. I can scoll through the whole list and play any song I like. I can do the same sorting by artist or album.

Are you saying that it is possible to have that same functionality on the Alpine unit? My understanding from the Alpine website (and others) was that, in any given list (be it a playlist or a list of all songs or artists on the iPod), only the first 300 items will be shown. That won't do for me. Have I misunderstood something?

I don't have that many songs on min as I have the 4gb. My suggestion would be to create a playlist for each Beatle grouping, if in fact you cannot see but the frist three hundred songs. This way you can trick the adapter and make it easier on yourself to get to the music. I've done that with my rock stuff. I put stuff like Joe Walsh (BTW thanks for noticing), Eagles and the like under rock. Then I put my other favorites like Steve Vai and Joe Satriania under another. I'm sure you have your favorite Beatles songs (who doesn't) so put the first 100 in one play list so on and so forth.

I'm not sure why the adapter is like that and haven't personally experienced it, but it is a great thing to have. For example, on my way to work I was listening to Lewsi Black on cd. I got bored with it and switched to the radio. Of course there were shitloads of commercials so I switched to the IPOD and it was playing the last song I listened to.

If you do get one, one bit of advice. It won't recognize it if the battery is really really low (like almost dead) although it will charge it will you use it. Second, make sure it is locked when you connect it (not sure why).

Hope this helps.

Michael

1995 525i
02-03-2006, 03:40 PM

My favorite line (and I'm sure he was writing from experience)

It's hard to leave when you can't find the door.:D

Jay 535i
02-03-2006, 03:45 PM
I don't have that many songs on min as I have the 4gb. My suggestion would be to create a playlist for each Beatle grouping, if in fact you cannot see but the frist three hundred songs. This way you can trick the adapter and make it easier on yourself to get to the music. I've done that with my rock stuff. I put stuff like Joe Walsh (BTW thanks for noticing), Eagles and the like under rock. Then I put my other favorites like Steve Vai and Joe Satriania under another. I'm sure you have your favorite Beatles songs (who doesn't) so put the first 100 in one play list so on and so forth.

That's excatly the kind of thing I can't tolerate. Maybe I'm a nutter, but I just can't do it that way. It won't work for me.

I'm not sure why the adapter is like that

Well, I think it's because those head units were originally designed for use with CD changers, and they've been jury-rigged -- not wholly redesigned -- for use with an iPod. So there are inherent limitations of a CD changer that are still part of the head unit's logic. A CD changer, for expample, can't store more than 300 songs, so there's no facility in the head unit to scroll past the 300th song

Or something like that.

The limitation seems to exist in all the iPod adapters that claim to control the iPod from the head unit. Not just Alpine's.

1995 525i
02-03-2006, 04:57 PM
That's excatly the kind of thing I can't tolerate. Maybe I'm a nutter, but I just can't do it that way. It won't work for me.

Well, I think it's because those head units were originally designed for use with CD changers, and they've been jury-rigged -- not wholly redesigned -- for use with an iPod. So there are inherent limitations of a CD changer that are still part of the head unit's logic. A CD changer, for expample, can't store more than 300 songs, so there's no facility in the head unit to scroll past the 300th song

Or something like that.

The limitation seems to exist in all the iPod adapters that claim to control the iPod from the head unit. Not just Alpine's.

I understand completely. but don't take my word for it. Go by a steroe place where they know what they are talking about and ask the guys there.
Maybe they will have a better option. I know Pioneer makes an IPOD adapter as does Monster (call iCruize or something).

Good Luck....

ProZak
02-03-2006, 05:45 PM
Crutchfield (http://www.crutchfield.com/S-kw4bC7wtbji/cgi-bin/SuperProdGroup.asp?g=770&cc=01&wm=tn)actually has some pretty detailed write-ups on iPod conversion kits, plus user reviews. Good reading there. Also, although their site navigation leaves something to be desired, look at iLounge (http://www.ilounge.com/index.php/reviews/).

Jay 535i
02-03-2006, 07:30 PM
Go by a steroe place where they know what they are talking about

I haven't yet encountered a stereo place where they know what they're talking about.

Thanks for the link, Prozak.

adamisbomb
02-04-2006, 12:33 AM
im going to look into an adaptor. like the transmitter idea so i could put it in the wifes car too...but i will look at other options for sure

Jesda
02-04-2006, 02:52 AM
I also like Nakamichi. Not only is it easy on the eyes, the sound quality is ABSOLUTELY ASTOUNDING. Good luck finding it anywhere but ebay though. They stopped exporting to the US a while ago due to financial problems. And yes, its worth buying one on ebay.

stx133
02-04-2006, 04:02 AM
this unit has mp3 playback, works great with the factory antenna setup, flat front mounting and coloring is not bright at night.

ProZak
02-04-2006, 06:49 PM
Glad to help. Let us know what you come up with. :)

1995 525i
02-06-2006, 08:48 AM
im going to look into an adaptor. like the transmitter idea so i could put it in the wifes car too...but i will look at other options for sure

The transmitter works but the sound is really poor. Look into an adapter for both cars (not necessarily Alpine) so you don't lose any sound quality. I might be selling my transmitter...i'll keep you posted.

Michael

1995 525i
02-06-2006, 08:50 AM
I haven't yet encountered a stereo place where they know what they're talking about.

Thanks for the link, Prozak.

Placed called Tweeter here is really good and their guys are very knowledgeable. Not sure if you have one where you are or not...

Michael