PDA

View Full Version : opened up windshield washer pump

skr
02-01-2006, 05:43 PM
the lower part, to where the hoses connect comes out first ,by prying on it with 2 screwdrivers opposite one another.
this will expose the metal impeller wich slides of the motor's axle. then u have to remove the 2 parts of the motor housing. pullin' realy hard should do the trick , but in my case having 2 bandaged fingers that hurt a lot didn't help much. so i used a screwdriver, positioned it where the 2 halfes meet and wacked it with a wrench. Having the motor out i realised it wasn't burnt it was just siezed , because of water getting to the brass bushing and coroding it. some wd-40 and moving it bach and forth solved that.

Alexlind123
02-01-2006, 06:19 PM
I love finding free fixes.

skr
02-01-2006, 06:32 PM
yea, it does.
i cut a small piece of thin aluminium sheet, roled it into a circle and inserted it in the hole that holds the impeller seal, the result being reducing the hole's diameter a little. then i pressed the rubber seal into place.
I figured if the hole is smaller and squeezing the seal a little it's gonna be tighter on the motor's axle.
will see how much it holds

SRR2
02-01-2006, 06:36 PM
WD-40 will displace moisture, but it's a lousy lubricant. You should have added some oil if lubrication was the point.

skr
02-01-2006, 06:47 PM
i used wd-40 to get the axle moving in the bushing, not for lubrication

genphreak
02-01-2006, 10:24 PM
i used wd-40 to get the axle moving in the bushing, not for lubricationIn Aus, new pumps (#61661380068 (http://www.realoem.com/bmw/showparts.do?model=HD22&mospid=47382&btnr=61_0018&hg=61&fg=45)) are like USD$10 on eBay (http://cgi.ebay.com.au/Windshield-WASHER-PUMP-for-BMW-MWP115_W0QQitemZ4607191194QQcategoryZ102322QQssPag eNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem). My problem with this part is the resovoir seal (bung), not the motor shaft seal in the pump. On my car the pump is ok, but the bung slowly lets the water out of the resovoir, trickling onto the ground overnight. Was going to seal it up but then figured I might as well buy a new pump too when I do it.

Now it would be REAL nice if the pump came with a new seal like it seems to from BMW (but I can't afford that!)... maywell have to make one of them or fix the seal. Skr; perhaps we need an equally good-fix for bushing the pump grommet!! Tx :) Nick