PDA

View Full Version : Another clutch replacement question…….

Dave M
02-01-2006, 03:35 PM
How important is it to retain the alignment of the pressure plate to flywheel when re-assembling? As I was anticipating replacing the clutch and pressure plate, but then realized the old bits had lots of life left, I didn’t mark the alignment of the pressure plate to flywheel as Bentley suggests.

As there is no noticeable runout on the clutch, and very little wear on the pressure plate, should I worry?

Thanks again,

Dave M

632 Regal
02-01-2006, 03:39 PM
if you cant tell how it was bolted then you dont have much of a choice here, you have a 33% chance of "guessing" correctly :D

Dave M
02-01-2006, 03:46 PM
if you cant tell how it was bolted then you dont have much of a choice here, you have a 33% chance of "guessing" correctly :D

I'll get my monkey (primate) to pick a spot, or, for more fun, maybe I'll ask my wife to help.

Dave M

632 Regal
02-01-2006, 04:01 PM
maybe if you look real closely you might see some markings that match the mating surfaces? I dont think it's that important tho if you cant.

Scott H
02-01-2006, 04:29 PM
You don't have an alignment tool? (looks like a little dildo)

This is not a BMW one, but the BMW one looks similar

http://www.mmmiata.com/images/products/MM154-TO.jpg

Dave M
02-01-2006, 04:55 PM
You don't have an alignment tool? (looks like a little dildo)

This is not a BMW one, but the BMW one looks similar

http://www.mmmiata.com/images/products/MM154-TO.jpg

Yep, I have the dildo, I'm concerned with placing the pressure plate back on the flywheel in the same position (Bentley suggests this). As in marking the driveshaft so its stays aligned with the output shaft on re-assembly.

Any thoughts?

Dave M

Scott H
02-01-2006, 05:42 PM
I have always done it that way

Yep, I have the dildo, I'm concerned with placing the pressure plate back on the flywheel in the same position (Bentley suggests this). As in marking the driveshaft so its stays aligned with the output shaft on re-assembly.

Any thoughts?

Dave M

skr
02-01-2006, 06:01 PM
damn, having one of those "dildo" things whould have saved me the trouble of manufacturing one form a piece of wood on my mini lathe...

Bellicose Right Winger
02-01-2006, 08:36 PM
Don't worry about it. The main reason match-marking is recommended is to rule out the cause of any new vibrations that show up after reassembly. I think its more important on the driveshaft, but I've never had a problem on occasions when I forgot.

Paul Shovestul

How important is it to retain the alignment of the pressure plate to flywheel when re-assembling? As I was anticipating replacing the clutch and pressure plate, but then realized the old bits had lots of life left, I didn’t mark the alignment of the pressure plate to flywheel as Bentley suggests.

As there is no noticeable runout on the clutch, and very little wear on the pressure plate, should I worry?

Thanks again,

Dave M

Dave M
02-01-2006, 11:13 PM
Don't worry about it. The main reason match-marking is recommended is to rule out the cause of any new vibrations that show up after reassembly. I think its more important on the driveshaft, but I've never had a problem on occasions when I forgot.

Paul Shovestul

Thanks again Paul,

I couldn't find any tell-tale marks on the clutch or pressure plate, so I just 'spun the wheel' and assembled it. I don't think I'll lose any sleep :)
The engine is well enough to be dropped in when the mood hits me, so i'll be back with more questions soon enough.

Dave M

632 Regal
02-02-2006, 03:03 AM
dave you will prevail, the dumb questions are the best cause thay make me think....and your on the edge of no answer nomatter.

Did you ever buy me that bus ticket?

Dave M
02-02-2006, 09:28 AM
Did you ever buy me that bus ticket?

your picket to ****burg is in the mail

632 Regal
02-02-2006, 12:33 PM
Suweeeeet!