PDA

View Full Version : 1990 525i with 240k miles - car/engine is loud

notesguy
02-01-2006, 02:46 PM
It looks like I am getting my transmission swapped out and while they are
doing it, I might fix whatever is wrong with the exhaust since it's so loud.
A similar car to mine pulle dup beside me the other day and sounded the same
way so it might be common enough in these carrs to diagnose over the forum.

The manifolds have little corroded holes at where it bolts into the block.

Inside the car when it's running, it sounds like you're inside the muffler,
almost too loud to talk over.

When it's pulling in the driveway, I can hear the car from inside the house
as it's coming down the driveway. When you lif the hood, it' s not louder
than any other car. Behind the car or beside it with the hood closed, it's
a low muflled roar.

The junk yard I am buying the tranny from has lots of used BMWs so I might
get them to ship whatever I need for this as well as the used tranny.

Any ideas or what to look for?

adamisbomb
02-01-2006, 03:24 PM
i just got a 1990 525i and its pretty loud and throaty sounding. i hope thats normal.

Hypr5
02-01-2006, 03:49 PM
My 90' is also extremely loud and very irritating, but my 95 is near silent.

I replaced the muffler on the 90 and it quieted it down just a bit. I would guess the resonator is bad, too. It's normal for them to be louder than the new ones, but not irritating loud. My guess would be to replace the entire exhaust system form the headers back.. :(

rob101
02-01-2006, 04:18 PM
exhaust leak is the probable cause seems to happen to most 525i's mine just blew out the other day (mine is an m50 though) however it is not yet as bad as my friends drone of death 100 dB 1989 525i i think i'd murder everyone after about a week of the ******** drone on my daily 30 minute highway trip:(

Hypr5
02-01-2006, 04:37 PM
exhaust leak is the probable cause seems to happen to most 525i's mine just blew out the other day (mine is an m50 though) however it is not yet as bad as my friends drone of death 100 dB 1989 525i i think i'd murder everyone after about a week of the ******** drone on my daily 30 minute highway trip:(
Yeah, when the m20s get loud, they get LOUD. ugh. :(

BimmerDude
02-02-2006, 02:19 AM
Yeah, when the m20s get loud, they get LOUD. ugh. :(
Had an e30 with an m20 had a hole a top the muffler, was LOUD. I replaced it and didn't even know it was on. I'm assuming the m50 is even quieter.

Hypr5
02-02-2006, 02:27 AM
Had an e30 with an m20 had a hole a top the muffler, was LOUD. I replaced it and didn't even know it was on. I'm assuming the m50 is even quieter.

for sure. My m50's belts (which are quiet) are louder than the exhaust by far. My m20 on the other hand... lets just say it needs replacement of a few things.

rob101
02-02-2006, 02:49 AM
for sure. My m50's belts (which are quiet) are louder than the exhaust by far. My m20 on the other hand... lets just say it needs replacement of a few things.
hey boys and girls with loud exhausts, I only just lately got a big leak, probable cause: the bolt that isn't on the flange halfway down the tailpipe that should be there which i noticed today. anyway i will replace the bolt and see if that fixes it. So all y'all check your flange bolts!!

Kobe Diesel
02-02-2006, 10:08 AM
Loud I wanna hear it loud, right between the eyes
Loud I wanna hear it loud, dont want no compromise

yeah, my m20 is loud and the rear silencer has a hole in it! But I love it