PDA

View Full Version : Trans time - few questions.

Hypr5
02-01-2006, 02:11 AM
Hey guys

My car (95 525i auto) is in definate need of a trans. immediately. However, I am stuck.

So many people are saying that a rebuilt trans is going to run me anywhere from $3,000 - $4,000 and *most* people say that it will never shift the same as it did from the factory. They tell me that this is because it's very difficult to find somebody who can rebuild them to perfectly to "spec" and that "shift kits" are usually used.

As for used, they tell me that if I want shift quality, this is generally the better option but they say that its dangerous because it may not last nearly as long. (obviously)

I have found rebuilts with warranties on ebay for $1000 or so but IF it were to fail, I suppose it would have to be shipped in order to be warrantied and the downtime on that would be horrible I suspect. But has anybody used a trans from an ebay company before with success and proper shift quality?

I am open to all advice and or suggestions, etc
Any and all help is greatly appreciated.

Thank you for your time in reading this post!

632 Regal
02-01-2006, 02:44 AM
there is one company on Ebay to avoid, name escapes me for now. get a used lower mileage trans with a guarantee and change the fluid and filter and be on with it.

Hypr5
02-01-2006, 11:50 AM
Thanks.

Does anybody know if there is any truth to what I posted above about the rebuilts?