PDA

View Full Version : Adjusting self leveling suspension

frenchtony
01-31-2006, 05:33 PM
I recently bought the Calypso red 530i touring 1994, I hope it's going to be a great buy.

The car has 17 inch wheels with 265/40 tyres on the rear, I'll be heading off to the slopes for some skiing shortly and have finally located some snow chains which I hope not to use.

My dilemma is that the gap between the top of the rear tyre and the bodywork is pretty tight, and my question is is it possible to temporarily raise the rear suspension?

Or am I just worried about nothing - will the suspension maintain enough clearance with a heavy load.

The car is, I believe, euro spec as it is here in france.

Anthony (M5 in Calgary)
01-31-2006, 07:05 PM
I recently bought the Calypso red 530i touring 1994, I hope it's going to be a great buy.

The car has 17 inch wheels with 265/40 tyres on the rear, I'll be heading off to the slopes for some skiing shortly and have finally located some snow chains which I hope not to use.

My dilemma is that the gap between the top of the rear tyre and the bodywork is pretty tight, and my question is is it possible to temporarily raise the rear suspension?

Or am I just worried about nothing - will the suspension maintain enough clearance with a heavy load.

The car is, I believe, euro spec as it is here in france.

The SLS is, as you say, self adjusting. However, with time, the control edge in the SLS height regulating valve can erode and cause the car to sit lower than spec. If your car is at the correct ride height you should be OK. You can change the ride height by adjusting the control rod attached to the rear anti-sway bar if required, but it is not a simple job. Bentley's manual tells you all you'd need to know.

Jay 535i
02-01-2006, 12:30 AM
Wow, 265 is an awful lot of rubber.

Snow chains on those wheels with low-profile tires? Won't that ruin the rims?