PDA

View Full Version : A/C acting strange

Alpinewhite
01-31-2006, 04:15 PM
Hi All,

This is what I do:

Turn the vent dial to blue. Turn the temperature knob in both passenger side and driver side to 62 F. Put the fan in control 2. Switch on the AC. AC comes alive but after some five minutes there is a "DAB" sound and AC switches itself off (even the light in the button goes out). After this it never turns ON (Even if I push the button). The next time I could operate the AC is after shutting off the engine and let it cool for say 2 hrs.

One more thing I noticed is that pieces of black sponge gushes out of the central vent when I put the fan to speed 4. Does this say something important to me?

I do not know cars but I am curious to learn and become a good DIYer. There should be some place where I start; I am determined to fix this one myself. I just got a copy of Bentley. But I dont know where to start and what will be the plan of action. Could you guys give me list of places where things would have gone wrong.

Thanks
Arun

Blitzkrieg Bob
01-31-2006, 04:52 PM
is though without hooking up a guage/manifold set to it and check out what is going on. High pressure switch? Expansion valve? Thermal switch (some old compressors have one on the side)

The black foamy bits are just the foam that is used to seal the ducts and flaps in the vent system. As it ages is gets brittle and crumbles.

I recommend wearing eye protection when running the blower on high.

Alpinewhite
01-31-2006, 05:02 PM
[QUOTE=Blitzkrieg Bob]is though without hooking up a guage/manifold set to it and check out what is going on. High pressure switch? Expansion valve? Thermal switch (some old compressors have one on the side)
QUOTE]

What is this guage/manifold set; I apologize if I am being Naive

Thanks
Arun

Blitzkrieg Bob
01-31-2006, 05:16 PM
on a manifold with a few valves and hose to hook up to the high and low side of the A/C system.

By taking readings from the guages, you can determine what is going on with the system.

If you've never been into working with refrigeration, then I would recomend taking to a shop.

tools and parts are $$$

and

pressurized refrigerant can cause frost bite if leaked out on to your skin and eyes.

wingman
01-31-2006, 07:44 PM
Welcome aboard alpine white. Let us know what you are driving and your location. This will help us to help you. Some pics go down a treat also as we are all E34 perverts and like to look at as many of them as possible. I gather from your handle that your car isn't schwarz?!?! ;)

632 Regal
01-31-2006, 08:58 PM
definetly worth a free inspection at a local shop, between the guages and messing around in un-charted water you could seriously get hurt.
on a manifold with a few valves and hose to hook up to the high and low side of the A/C system.

By taking readings from the guages, you can determine what is going on with the system.

If you've never been into working with refrigeration, then I would recomend taking to a shop.

tools and parts are $$$

and

pressurized refrigerant can cause frost bite if leaked out on to your skin and eyes.

mystical_wings
02-01-2006, 12:05 AM
usually when it shuts on and off that means it needs to be refilled.I had the same prob

632 Regal
02-01-2006, 12:27 AM
damn your gettin smart! ;)
usually when it shuts on and off that means it needs to be refilled.I had the same prob