PDA

View Full Version : 90 525i: Ditch the resonator?

Jesda
01-31-2006, 05:16 AM
I paid Midas $50 today to patch a leak where the pipes attach to the back of the resonator. Unfortunately, they were unable to weld the section above the joint where it was also leaking. The welding helped a little bit, but the exhaust is still loud, and not in a favorable way.

The boomy sound from the rear makes me conclude that the muffler is toast.

When installing a new muffler, is it okay on the 5-series to ditch the resonator entirely and run new pipes from the cat? I've removed the resonator on other cars with no ill effects, but I'm curious if this is a problem at all on this car.

Thanks!

BigKriss
01-31-2006, 07:22 AM
When installing a new muffler, is it okay on the 5-series to ditch the resonator entirely and run new pipes from the cat? I've removed the resonator on other cars with no ill effects, but I'm curious if this is a problem at all on this car.

It will be louder, maybe unacceptably louder. I can't see why it's a problem on your car.

Kobe Diesel
01-31-2006, 09:27 AM
Im looking to replace my rear silencer which is corroding away at the moment (but the hole has given the exhaust a lucious tone). Ive inquired about ditching the resonator and have also been warned about the noise levels that come along with doing such a thing. Ive decided against removing it.

Besides, when I troubleshoot a vehicle, my method of localizing problems is determining where noise develops. If I were to remove my resonator, any noise that develops from a problematic component will be masked and I wouldnt know about it until it went on me. For me, not being able to hear a problem before it gets worst, I consider this losing my first line of defense when it comes to tackling mechanical issues.

Just a thought to consider, esp. if you are a DIY car owner.

BimmerDude
02-02-2006, 02:06 AM
I paid Midas $50 today to patch a leak where the pipes attach to the back of the resonator. Unfortunately, they were unable to weld the section above the joint where it was also leaking. The welding helped a little bit, but the exhaust is still loud, and not in a favorable way.

The boomy sound from the rear makes me conclude that the muffler is toast.

Thanks!
I also have a tired pipe on my 535i (engine M30) might it be louder than the M20 or M50 if I ditched resonator and maybe muffler. (of corse M50 and 20 with same set up.

Hypr5
02-02-2006, 02:09 AM
m20 without a resonator is unacceptably loud. I have a very nice muffler on my car (installed in hopes to cure the noise) but with a tired resonator (no holes anywhere) and it is still unacceptably loud to me.

wingman
02-02-2006, 04:55 AM
It would be a defect in OZ (NSW). You can run a drain pipe behind the silencer but take the silencer away and you're toast.

Jesda
02-02-2006, 05:06 AM
I have to admit, I'm surprised by the posts on this thread, and I'm very glad I asked. On past cars where I removed the resonator, there were no ill effects. For the 525, if it really is that loud, I'll keep it!

Thanks everyone. :)