PDA

View Full Version : Fuel pump gurgle

FiveOJester
01-31-2006, 12:22 AM
Hey all, got an odd problem I recently started noticing.

When I first fire up the car I will sometimes hear a gurgling/rumbling sound coming from the fuel tank. I first heard it after I had the car parked on a steep driveway with a low level of gas in the tank. I simply thought the pump was starving as the noise stopped once I backed the car out. However I've recently started noticing it doing the same thing with a full tank on a slight incline. Any ideas? Is the fuel pump dying or getting close to dying?

The car runs great. Hasn't lost any power all the way to red line, fires right up and runs smooth, even when I hear the noise. Pretty sure the pump is original with about 130k miles on it.

632 Regal
01-31-2006, 12:56 AM
park it on a level surface.

dacoyote
01-31-2006, 09:21 AM
park it on a level surface.

deep man... deep

FiveOJester
02-01-2006, 10:47 AM
Up...

M20Turbo
02-01-2006, 03:00 PM
Open up the gas tank from the trunk access and see if your return line has fallen off. I had the feed line come off on mine, which of course would not start at all.

632 Regal
02-01-2006, 03:20 PM
if the return line fell off there would be gallons of fuel under the car. It could have a small crack in the supply line but since the pump is in the tank it wouldnt suck air unless the pickup is messed up. Good idea to pull the pump out and inspect it.
Open up the gas tank from the trunk access and see if your return line has fallen off. I had the feed line come off on mine, which of course would not start at all.