PDA

View Full Version : Blank keys

t_marat
01-30-2006, 06:15 AM
I only have one key for the car. If I loose it then there will be a big problem for me.

On ebay there are some blank keys for E34 BMW. But they state they have to be laser cut. What if I will get a copy done by normal grinding, there are lots of people who can do that? Will it work?

SRR2
01-30-2006, 06:21 AM
The smartest (might not be the cheapest, but then sometimes "cheapest" isn't either smart or cheap) thing to do is order a key from a dealer with the key code. That way it's guaranteed to work.

t_marat
01-30-2006, 06:36 AM
There is no BMW dealer in my city.
How much it usually costs in your countries?

shogun
01-30-2006, 06:40 AM
I just ordered 2 blanks from a guy in Hongkong for less than 10 US$ on Ebay. Here in Japan every key shop can make a copy if you have a blank. They have good equipment, but they need the blanks. On my E32 keys there are no stored data on the keys, so easy to make it.

t_marat
01-30-2006, 07:22 AM
E34s have stored data in the keys Shogun?

rps1072
01-30-2006, 08:53 AM
I bought one of those blanks on Ebay. The dealer cut it for me with no code or proof of title for $5.

t_marat
01-30-2006, 09:22 AM
The dealer used laser cuting or something more usual?

Russell
01-30-2006, 09:25 AM
US e34s built on or after 1/95 have some sort of EWS secutiry code that works with the key, ECU and a sensor ring around the ignition key opening. I think they do require a coded dealer key to start the car, even though a key cut properly may open the door. Not sure about other countries. Someone correct me if i am wrong.

Good luck.

I only have one key for the car. If I loose it then there will be a big problem for me.

On ebay there are some blank keys for E34 BMW. But they state they have to be laser cut. What if I will get a copy done by normal grinding, there are lots of people who can do that? Will it work?

shogun
01-30-2006, 09:52 AM

Usuall good equipment, but no laser cut. The one I ordered were stating the outer dia and the thickness for E32 keys, I measured my own one and it was the same. You can search here for the right ones you need
http://search.ebay.com/search/search.dll?cgiurl=http%3A%2F%2Fcgi.ebay.com%2Fws%2 F&fkr=1&from=R8&satitle=BMW+blank+key&category0=

Qsilver7
01-30-2006, 09:53 AM
The problem that some keysmiths have with conventional cutting equipment...is the design of the BMW key. Note in the pics below (the key blade...not the remote part)...that the design of the BMW key's blade is what requires the "laser" cut. The cut is on each side of the blade...with a solid rectangular block in the center. If your key is cut like this...then you will need a keysmith that has a machine that has the capability to do so.

Common keysmith's machines generally cut complety thru the key on the top edge, or both the top and bottom edge of the key...modern BMW keys, again, have a solid rectangular block in the center (almost like a hamburger patty sandwiched between two buns) with the cut being on either side.

(note in the 3 pics below how the key's blade is cut only on the top side and bottom side of the blade)
http://i14.ebayimg.com/04/i/06/18/39/ae_1_b.JPG http://i1.ebayimg.com/04/i/06/19/75/99_1.JPG
http://i9.ebayimg.com/04/i/05/da/94/18_1.JPG

(old style BMW keys may not need to be laser cut)
http://i13.ebayimg.com/01/i/06/0f/c6/14_1_b.JPG

Alexlind123
01-30-2006, 10:21 AM
I got a spare key made by a lock-smith that my parents have used for years to make copies of car keys, house keys and rental house keys among others. He charged somewhere around $30 for the blank and grinding (assuming he ground it). It works fine, but he must have had a special grinder to be able to do it.

t_marat
01-30-2006, 02:10 PM
OK, thanks everybody.

I guess I will buy a blank key and try my luck at a lock-smith.

Jay 535i
01-30-2006, 02:19 PM
Huh, the only reason I haven't bought a new key is that having it cut sounded like a PIA. Maybe not, after all.

Chris'91'525i
01-30-2006, 11:22 PM

One thing to remember is OEM BMW keys (new or old) are made of steel ,not nickle plated brass like most auto keys.
I would check the quality of your aftermarket key with a magnet.

It will take a special cutting wheel to cut them properly.
Defineatly a locksmiths job and not something a ACE hardware or similar is set up to do, without ruining thier cutter.
I'm talking about an older BMW 'regular' cut auto key.
I have no idea how they cut these new ones with a laser.
Would love to see it done though !!

632 Regal
01-31-2006, 12:15 AM
I used a die gringer and it worked fine.

shogun
01-31-2006, 03:14 AM
A standard BMW blank key w/o all this memory stuff (made by BMW or the other after market co's ) is easy to copy by any Mr. Minit or similar equipped shop, provided they want to do it and law allows (in some countries they are not allowed to handle certain keys).

Then we have in Japan special shops which are advertising to do car keys, Toyota etc., but they usually do not have the blanks for the older BMW. So that is why I needed to buy the blanks. In the ads they usually state the dimensions of the blanks, compare these with your original, if that fits, it is a matter of minutes for the shop.

F4Phantom
01-31-2006, 07:07 AM
i took a BMW key to a locksmith and he said he cant cut BMW keys they are to complicated. He tried anyway and gave it to me for free, said it probably wont work, he was right, it didnt. Anyway why would you bother, I call BMW before 12 noon, they have the key ready to pick up by the afternoon $17. They aparently get an email from germany with the key lined up with my vin # which is then computer cut.

Dave M
01-31-2006, 07:34 AM
i took a BMW key to a locksmith and he said he cant cut BMW keys they are to complicated. He tried anyway and gave it to me for free, said it probably wont work, he was right, it didnt. Anyway why would you bother, I call BMW before 12 noon, they have the key ready to pick up by the afternoon $17. They aparently get an email from germany with the key lined up with my vin # which is then computer cut.

Wow, cost me $60 Can. Some things are cheaper in Aus. :D

Dave M

adamisbomb
02-01-2006, 04:01 PM
anyone in the us had a key made? dealer needed proof of ownership and i just got the car and it was $50 for new key. they said for a 1990 i should be able to go to home depot or a locksmith. i doubt home depot can do it i would get a key off ebay and have it cut but dont know where to go.

Fred Tyler
02-01-2006, 08:10 PM
anyone in the us had a key made? dealer needed proof of ownership and i just got the car and it was $50 for new key. they said for a 1990 i should be able to go to home depot or a locksmith. i doubt home depot can do it i would get a key off ebay and have it cut but dont know where to go.
I only had to send a photo file to a firm in Canberra Aust and he cut 2 keys for $60 and they work great. Give a good locksmith a call.
regards fred