PDA

View Full Version : Unreal Crash - 535i

baileydog
01-29-2006, 09:09 PM
Lets take a poll to see how fast you figure these boys got the ol' 535i going.

And I thought Diane's Mercedes was banged up........

http://www.canada.com/components/print.aspx?id=95dab18b-a0ee-40ef-8c7e-a92ae1c80d49

bahnstormer
01-29-2006, 09:17 PM
indeed a horrific accident

angrypancake
01-29-2006, 09:18 PM
good lord, 3 dead? and the woman said she saw two cars speeding towards her, as in a street race? judging by that picture they were way over 125mph. there was a crash like that by my house recently, maybe 2 months ago? 5 kids under the age of 18 and their camp counselor, all in one car, all dead. there was nothing left of the car, it took the investigators something like 5 hours to determine how many bodies there were, by counting the teeth. and the counselor had had her license taken away for a ticket for 106mph in a 55. **** like that is sobering. im gonna take a moment and realize how lucky i am to have made it through all the retarded stunts i've pulled in my (almost) 20 years. bmw's might be safe as hell, but when you get 4000lbs going 100+mph, you dont stand a chance.

genphreak
01-29-2006, 09:21 PM
Hmmm 5 inside... and notice they popped the boot to see if there were any more inside the car, I bet it was still locked and the latch opened it without fuss.

Geek hilarity aside, a sobering lesson to us all. I'd say 90-150mph, unless the car was rusted. I can't see it breaking in half that easily... though both ends are kinda heavy. I wonder where the survivors were- in the back and ejected ,or the driver and passenger?

Slowus Snailus, en dictum eternitae datum.

632 Regal
01-29-2006, 09:21 PM
WoW! any more info on this?

genphreak
01-29-2006, 09:25 PM
The good lord gave us the BMW; evolution can still taketh it away...

angrypancake
01-29-2006, 09:43 PM
not to hijack this thread, but these are the pictures of what was left of the car i talked about in my response... keep in mind there were 6 people in it...
http://img68.imageshack.us/img68/7351/emhslam9b0gb.jpg http://img77.imageshack.us/img77/1831/emhslam9a7xj.jpg

Gayle
01-29-2006, 09:56 PM
I am going to slap myself for saying this and bringing up the acrimonious topic of street racing again but

do these pictures make the point of why street racing is not a good idea or what?

Jeff N.
01-29-2006, 10:13 PM
..thankfully no one from this board, right?

Terrible...looks like booze affected to me.

misfortune
01-29-2006, 10:37 PM
I am going to slap myself for saying this and bringing up the acrimonious topic of street racing again but

do these pictures make the point of why street racing is not a good idea or what?

I do think that point has been driven home in numerous threads, but yeah. Fully agreed.

Derek A.
01-29-2006, 11:10 PM
I am sure that with five people on board - and a telephone pole splitting the car in the middle at that speed - it would have ripped the car apart - no rust problem needed.

Terrible story.

baileydog
01-30-2006, 01:52 AM
That's the whole article as published in the paper, and I haven't caught the Vancouver local news broadcast.

genphreak
01-30-2006, 06:35 AM
That's the whole article as published in the paper, and I haven't caught the Vancouver local news broadcast.I am surprised it didn't make our local prime time news... it would be front page news on any of our Murdoch tabloids in a flash. The best one is the Daily Terrorgraph (oh sorry, I meant to say Daily Telegraph)... it would be just perfect for that w all those wreckage pics. They wouldn't even have to spruice them up at all!

onewhippedpuppy
01-30-2006, 07:54 AM
I'm betting on 120 MPH or so. Had to be really moving to shear the car in half. I guess they make the light poles tougher up north, I've never seen one take a hit like that around here. Pretty stupid, it wouldn't have taken much for them to take the innocent driver with them. Like somebody else said, I thank God that the dumbass stuff that I did when I was younger didn't hurt myself or anybody else, though I had friends that weren't so lucky.

ILoveMPower
01-30-2006, 11:04 AM
Horrible.

DanH
01-30-2006, 11:12 AM
Here is a link to the CTV news coverage video (mms://ctvbroadcast.ctv.ca/video/2006/01/28/ctvvideologger1_143kbps_2006_01_28_1138499033.wmv) . It is the first story on the news broadcast.

Story text. (http://www.ctv.ca/servlet/ArticleNews/story/CTVNews/20060128/street_racing_060128/20060128?hub=CTVNewsAt11)

WoW! any more info on this?

DaCan23
01-30-2006, 11:58 AM
Yes racing is bad. Yes excessive speed by unexperienced drivers is bad. But in almost all cases like this alcohol is a factor. I am very very against driving under the influence even before my uncle was killed one year ago by a drunk/drugged up driver.

These days people are too irresponsible with drinking. I was driving home a few weeks ago from a friends and the commute home passes Foxboro and the Pats playoff game had ended about 90 mins earlier and at the 2 points where the staduim traffic comes onto the highway, I saw very few cars that could keep it between the lines.

I cant say how bad it is elsewhere, but in the US, I consider drunk driving one of the biggest issues facing our society.

Incantation
01-30-2006, 12:35 PM
i live about 20 mins from there

Jay 535i
01-30-2006, 02:34 PM
It's also amazing to me that people don't realize that a car with five occupants doesn't stop or handle the same as when you're alone.

Can you imagine trying to catch a slide at 100MPH+ in an E34 with 5-up?

Stoo-pid.

dacoyote
01-30-2006, 02:52 PM

Darn... not sure it could be done... anyone wanta go out on the track with me and test?

angrypancake
01-30-2006, 03:01 PM
http://img480.imageshack.us/img480/4313/throughahouse0024ff.jpg

this was literally 1/4 mile up the road from me:

man goes off road, takes out stop sign and fire hydrant, and smashes house. they said he had had "2 glasses of Guiness and 2 shots of Jager." uh, no. is this like retard weekend?

DaCan23
01-30-2006, 04:03 PM
The E90 failed the Elk test w/ 5 passengers & luggage.....

People in Europe would know more about the Elk test, it's famous over there, it test cars to handle common quick manuevers...... years ago the MB A-Class crashed or rolled or blew up or something on the test.... MB reworked it and publiclly named "Elk" its employee of the year or something

It's also amazing to me that people don't realize that a car with five occupants doesn't stop or handle the same as when you're alone.

Stoo-pid.

Jay 535i
01-30-2006, 04:08 PM
The E90 failed the Elk test w/ 5 passengers & luggage.....

People in Europe would know more about the Elk test, it's famous over there, it test cars to handle common quick manuevers...... years ago the MB A-Class crashed or rolled or blew up or something on the test.... MB reworked it and publiclly named "Elk" its employee of the year or something

Yes, that cost MB $2b in recalls and lost revenue when the A-class rolled over. That's certainly more money than the A-class has made for them.

I think, however, the elk test has been largely discredited as an accurate illustration of, well, anything. That consumers misguidedly attach some value to it is the only reason it still exists.

DaCan23
01-30-2006, 04:12 PM
The only way I know about it is cause it was mentioned in the BMWCCA Roundel this month. But run flats was most likley the main factor for the E60 failure.... I said E90 but it was E60... although w/ ZP's the E90 will probably fail too.

Yes, that cost MB $2b in recalls and lost revenue when the A-class rolled over. That's certainly more money than the A-class has made for them.

I think, however, the elk test has been largely discredited as an accurate illustration of, well, anything. That consumers misguidedly attach some value to it is the only reason it still exists.

SharkmanBMW
01-30-2006, 04:48 PM
Darn... not sure it could be done... anyone wanta go out on the track with me and test?

sorry dude, you are on your own!

dacoyote
01-30-2006, 05:21 PM
sorry dude, you are on your own!

Sissy..... I will even finish getting my car back together first...

Derek A.
01-30-2006, 05:42 PM
In the report they said it was raining... 5 guys, in an e34 at 100mph+, drinking while trying to race another car in the rain. I am glad that they didn't hurt anyone else on the road besides themselves.

dacoyote
01-30-2006, 05:48 PM
In the report they said it was raining... 5 guys, in an e34 at 100mph+, drinking while trying to race another car in the rain. I am glad that they didn't hurt anyone else on the road besides themselves.

Darwin works wonders... I am glad they only took out themselves.... to bad they didn't get the car they where racing with...

SharkmanBMW
01-30-2006, 05:57 PM
in the vid, the cops ask the other driver to come forward.... yeah right!
Then again, if he's a foolish enough to race in the rain, he might be foolish enough to come forward! (not likely)

serious questions...
1) would they punish the other driver if he did come forward?
2) and who in the car do you think lived? front seats or back?
3) also, do most of you wear a seat belt when in the back seat of a car?

dacoyote
01-30-2006, 06:18 PM
1) would they punish the other driver if he did come forward?

I bet they would

2) and who in the car do you think lived? front seats or back?

Backs

3) also, do most of you wear a seat belt when in the back seat of a car?
Yes... I always wear....