PDA

View Full Version : Tire pressure set at 26f/32r seems fine

Russell
03-14-2004, 08:09 AM
I changed my tire pressure on my 95 525i to 26f/32r and it seems that the it rides much better, handles fine around corners (not as good as higher pressures) and best of all seems to track better with less wandering?

This is the normal tire pressure as recomended for a 91 525i by the BMW TIS.

What give here? I always thought that most people run higher pressures. Why? Is it better handling?

KenB
03-14-2004, 08:24 AM
From my experience, lower tire pressures will result in less gas mileage, softer handling and more wear on the outer edges of the tires, especially on the front.

Russell
03-14-2004, 08:39 AM
FYI, these are the normal pressures in the BMW TIS for 91 525i. However the TIS indicated Normal 29f/35r for the 535i. I assume it is because of the larger tires or perhaps a 535i car is bit heaver. Perhaps it is because it is a higher performance car. Even so, the M5 was recomended to carry 38f/41r.

My door sticker indicates only max load pressure of 33f/41r, yet recomends 26/32 for "out of US and Canada " driving.

From my experience, lower tire pressures will result in less gas mileage, softer handling and more wear on the outer edges of the tires, especially on the front.

Tiger
03-14-2004, 09:45 AM
Higher pressure handles higher speed is why M5 got a high spec. I prefer a slightly higher number like 29 and 34... just to protect pothole wheel bending yet will result in slightly rougher ride... never use max recommendation unless you are running full load... this is to protect your wheel also.

Russell
03-14-2004, 10:23 AM
You seem to be saying that 26 psi will not protect from pothole wheele bending? Not sure I agree on stock rims/tires. Even so, good point, especially with non stock rims and non stock lower profile tires.

Higher pressure handles higher speed is why M5 got a high spec. I prefer a slightly higher number like 29 and 34... just to protect pothole wheel bending yet will result in slightly rougher ride... never use max recommendation unless you are running full load... this is to protect your wheel also.

jplacson
03-14-2004, 11:48 AM
The recommended wheel pressure doesn't count if you're running non-standard rims. My 520i manual states only about 28psi or so. But since I'm running 225/45/18, I have to go with the tire manufacturer's 'minimum' for that size which is 36psi, and a max of 44psi.