PDA

View Full Version : Does any one know hex key size for BMW radio?

Akhil
01-29-2006, 05:36 AM
Hi BImmer Gurus.

Does any body have hex key size fro opening BMW factory radio? I have a set for keys and bits but none of them worked. The one which fits best doesn't lock and rotate freely. May be hex hole be rounded by PO or his/her machanic. If it is, can any body give me idia how to open this?

Thanks a lot.

regards
Akhil

billb
01-29-2006, 07:12 AM
Hi BImmer Gurus.

Does any body have hex key size fro opening BMW factory radio? I have a set for keys and bits but none of them worked. The one which fits best doesn't lock and rotate freely. May be hex hole be rounded by PO or his/her machanic. If it is, can any body give me idia how to open this?

Thanks a lot.

regards
Akhil

...you can usually grind a hex key to fit, or use a small screwdriver to span two of the five corners.

Akhil
01-29-2006, 07:35 AM
Bentelly Manual say Hex key that's why I tried it with hex. Do you know specification of that Petagonal key by any chance?
I am going to try it today. I am sure if I try with wrong size of key or screw driver, I would end up screwing that screw :p . Is that screw easily available as spare parts. If it is where can I buy it?

Thanks
Akhil

billb
01-29-2006, 09:38 AM
Bentelly Manual say Hex key that's why I tried it with hex. Do you know specification of that Petagonal key by any chance?
I am going to try it today. I am sure if I try with wrong size of key or screw driver, I would end up screwing that screw :p . Is that screw easily available as spare parts. If it is where can I buy it?

Thanks
Akhil
...but i've used the screwdriver method for 7 years now ;)

If you go to www.bavauto.com, and search under their tools section, you'll find a BMW radio removal tool. It's their part number 600143. You can spend $16.95 plus shipping and tax, or you can find a screwdriver like I did and do it yourself. Your choice.

SRR2
01-29-2006, 11:27 AM
I ground my own tool from an ordinary flat-head nail. The first step was to grind a regular pentagon into the head to act as a guide for the tip. Then grind off the point. Use a reference fence on the grinder to position the pentagonal head on and grind flats into the tip. It's actually pretty easy to make. Took me about five minutes and three or four iterations to get a tight fit.

winfred
01-29-2006, 11:54 AM
i've not seen replacment screws avalable, they are varly soft brass so take care to not strip them too bad

Qsilver7
01-29-2006, 12:05 PM
I'm with BillB...I've used a very small screwdriver (like from a jewelers set). And ditto with being careful...the brass is very soft and can be rounded off easily if too much pressure is supplied.

If you didn't know...the screws do not come out...they just retract wings that push out from the side that holds the radio in with compression.

Akhil
01-29-2006, 12:59 PM
flat screw driver and took that radio apart. Took out stuck CASSETTE. New problem is Driver belt for CASSETTE DECK is broken. I am going to look for it in local ecectronic store. Do you gus know where canI find these belts. Another thing while I am there I would like to replace LCD display, couse it half blanked out. Do you guys have any idia where can I find this display, if at all.

Thanks agaian for all your help.
Akhil

Rigmaster
01-29-2006, 01:14 PM
Probably cheaper and easier to just buy a good working used radio- should be available for $50-60 or so.

Bret.

Dave M
01-29-2006, 01:33 PM
Akhil,

Like Bret said, its likely cheaper and less hastle to find a used radio. I have an Alpine (I think) thats just sitting around somewhere, which I would send you for a few dollars, or trade for something else. I'd basically give it away, as I can't guarantee it will work 'perfectly'. From what i remember, one of the little green lights behind the radio pre-set buttons doesn't work, but the tape deck worked fine. Shipping may cost a bit more as I'm in Canada, but not a major hastle.

Just an option,

Dave M

Akhil
01-29-2006, 09:35 PM
I just came back from Air Port after droping my wife there. She is going to India for a month and a half trip :( So I am a forced single now :D

Any way Thanks a lot for you offer Dave. The only reson I was looking for OEM radio is CD changer control. I hardly play tape in it. I think that is why I got stuck when I put tape after 3 years.

Any way If I go for after marker head unit, do you think it can be used for CD changer control?

I looked for belt online, it seem it not hard to find. Local Fry's store might have it as well. I love taking apart broken electronic. I started doing it when I was 10 years old as hobby. But now take apart computers mother board, CD Rom, Cards, HDD ect too, but write Software for leaving though. But new to cars though. :( Still long way to go in Cars.

Any way let me see if I can find the belt or else I will go for after market head unit or OEM radio without tape deck (since I don't use it any way).

Once again thanks a lot for all you help guys and your offer dave.

Note : Dave I will let you know If I need that Alpine head unit.

regards
Akhil

Dave M
01-29-2006, 10:58 PM
Note : Dave I will let you know If I need that Alpine head unit.

regards
Akhil

Its not going anywhere fast,

Dave M

Akhil
01-29-2006, 11:16 PM
Its not going anywhere fast,

Dave M

what not going fast Dave?

wingman
04-01-2006, 07:27 PM
How far do you have to turn them? I'm getting some movement but only on one side. The Bentley manual is SOOO unclear.

Rigmaster
04-01-2006, 08:30 PM
Several turns are required to loosen them- maybe 7-8 full turns at least (??).

Bret.

wingman
04-01-2006, 09:24 PM
Several turns are required to loosen them- maybe 7-8 full turns at least (??).

Bret.

Thanks Bret

David Shealey
04-05-2006, 11:01 AM
Hi BImmer Gurus.

Thanks a lot.

regards
Akhil

It is not a hexagon, but a special Pentagonal wrench. It was a theft deterrent, needing a special wrench.

I have been able to do mine with a hex wrench though, just put side pressure on it when turning. If it was tightened too much on installation for that though, you will have to buy the tool. About $16 from the dealer if I remember correctly, but also available from many web sites.