PDA

View Full Version : Valve adjustment issues

Dan-ny-m398
01-28-2006, 09:26 PM
Hi:

I did a valve adjustment last week (my first one) and after I was done, the engine was still ticking pretty loudly. Before I did the valve adjustment I read the bently manual at least twice also I read a bunch of threads about the subject so I felt pretty confident doing it.
Today I decided to give it another try adjusted the valves at .012mm with the engine cold checked every valve twice and when I was done I got the same result.
I got the car about 2 months ago and it had been sitting since. Also I got the car from a guy who didn't know anything about the car, and it also had been sitting for a while with him and since it was such a good deal I didn't mind not having the service records, When I got it I expected the worst , but to my surprise I noticed the head had been rebuilt not long ago it has some metal gaskets not the paper crap that I got, and the water pump and hoses are all new, also the whole suspension is pretty new anyways the car is a 1991 535iA It has 160k and the only problems with it are the brake linnings message and that damn loud ticking. Any ideas on what It could be?

http://memimage.cardomain.net/member_images/4/web/244000-244999/244870_182_full.jpg

myles
01-28-2006, 09:40 PM
Mine was very ticky after I set them to 0012thou(cold). I set it to a loose 0011(cold) and it is much better, I should probably set it to 0010(cold) to get rid of the remaining tick. I didn't notice the idle get any more rough when I changed from 0012 to 0011thou.

EDIT - My mistake, i mixed up the M20 and M30 table entries in Bentley. I won't be setting the valve gap to 0010, thats too tight.

Anthony (M5 in Calgary)
01-28-2006, 09:49 PM
Mine was very ticky after I set them to 0012thou(cold). I set it to 0011(cold) and it is much better, I should probably set it to 0010(cold) to get rid of the remaining tick. I didn't notice the idle get any more rough when I changed from 0012 to 0011thou.

Setting the valves tighter to cure ticking is a recipe for burned valves. The valve need seat time to cool off between cycles - setting them tighter shortens the seat time. Live with the tick and save your head.

BTW, some ticking comes from the fuel injectors so you'll never cure that.

gale
01-28-2006, 09:53 PM
I set mine at .010-.011, seems happy with that. I replaced all of the eccentrics last time and it adjusts easier, feeler gauge doesn't hang as it's dragging thru the gap. Engine is quieter.

With a rebuilt head, there's no telling how many miles are on it and what all was replaced. Healthy injectors tick also, so it's normal to have some noise, but not excessive. They run quieter with synthetic oil too (shameless plug) ;)

pundit
01-28-2006, 10:27 PM
As already discussed, the purpose of adjusting valves is not get rid of valve train noise but to ensure the correct operation and longevity of the valves.
Sometimes you will just have a noisy valve even when it's set correctly.
You could try swapping around eccentrics and see if that improves things.
In reality one ticking valve will appear worse than twelve. Twelve evenly sounding valves, even if they are a little on the noisy side, won't generally sound like there's a problem.
It's that lone one or two that stick out.

The noise could be due also to excessive valve train wear caused by poor lubrication (loose banjo bolts?) or noisy injectors. Too tightly set valve clearances can cause rough running, less power, poorer fuel economy and shortened valve life. The other option is to buy an M50 powered E34 which has hydraulic lifters with zero valve clearance.... but you can really hear the injectors tick then! ;)

Dan-ny-m398
01-28-2006, 10:42 PM
Well I know about noisy valves, I have a 1989 535i which is not as loud as the 1991, as for how long has the head been rebuilt, I'm pretty sure it hasn't been that long since the inside of the head still pretty clean, also the injectors and all the gaskets seem pretty new and the banjo bolts are pretty tight, I'll try switching to Syntethic oil, and if that doesn't work I will try going to .011. any suggestions on what kind of oil I should use?.

pundit
01-28-2006, 10:52 PM
Well I know about noisy valves, I have a 1989 535i which is not as loud as the 1991, as for how long has the head been rebuilt, I'm pretty sure it hasn't been that long since the inside of the head still pretty clean, also the injectors and all the gaskets seem pretty new and the banjo bolts are pretty tight, I'll try switching to Syntethic oil, and if that doesn't work I will try going to .011. any suggestions on what kind of oil I should use?.
I'm using Mobil 1 5W-50 in my 535i. I'm not sure where you're located.
Mobil 1 0W-40 is much more expensive and, as we don't have freezing winters here in Australia, is not required, especially in a M30.

Alexlind123
01-29-2006, 12:23 AM
Try dumping a bottle of seafoam in your gas tank. There is a good chance the noise is a clogged injector. BTW, you have a very nice car.