PDA

View Full Version : Auto Tans Position Switch

danzee
01-28-2006, 04:32 PM
I finally had a little time to delve into my Trans Program problem today
I pulled off the console cover and removed and cleaned the inside and outside of the A/M switch, but the selector position switch stymied me.
I can't see how to remove it. The lockout cam is in the way of one of the screws and I can't see a way to get it out.
So in addition to just simply cleaning the contacts, I rang out the switch with an ohmmeter and created a matrix of pins connected for all the positions.
I do not have a schematic that shows that circuit.
Questions:
1. Can anyone provide first hand knowledge of how the switch is removed?
2. Can anyone provide a schematic of the circuit and/or the position switch?
3. Lacking a schematic, how about a switching matrix?
TIA,
Dan Z

zygoteer
01-28-2006, 06:37 PM
From the diagrams in my Bentley EWD104-on, the matrix differs from early to late models ... so from your visible info, I can't tell.

However the E34 '95 525 'range' switch (shifter) is a "non-ganged 4P2T" configuration, and the 'program' switch (mode) is a "ganged 2P2T" configuration.

danzee
01-28-2006, 07:37 PM
4PDT is good info. Does the date help pindow the matrix?
Thanks

danzee
01-28-2006, 07:41 PM
4P2T would have 4+8=12 total connections. The connector has 7 pins, so I suppose some connections are hard wired internally. Makes the matrix that much more useful if you have it, else it's an interesting mystery.
Thanks again.
Z

zygoteer
01-28-2006, 08:44 PM
The Bentley is so thick I can't get it on my page scanner.
So these are simple diagrams I copied from it ....

The switching appears to asymmetric, so each pole is not switched in the same movement - depends on shift position I guess - maybe a binary code or similar
The common is +12V from fuse F17 (7.5A)

All the shift connections go to the Transmission Control Module AND the Instrument Cluster - so maybe experimenting with test combinations will show on the cluster what sequence relates to what position etc.

danzee
01-29-2006, 03:13 PM
At least now I can see if the switch is making the connections it should.
Thanks again,
Dan Z

danzee
01-29-2006, 03:20 PM
Looking at the pics you posted I see it will take some work to verify the matrix.
I do understand the 7 connections to the swwitch now. My testing showed that two pairs are always connected together, so there are five effective outside connections.
Still, as you say, it will take some work to figure out the sequence.
A well, life is not meant to be without a PITA once in a while.:)
Z

danzee
01-30-2006, 04:07 PM
After 11 years of getting along with only Haynes and the new Chilton, I finally broke down and ordered a Bentley manual today - mainly for the electrical diagrams.
FYI, I found drivewire.com selling them for for $48.

Also for anyone with an E30, I have an original genuine BMW loose leaf E30 shop manual (1986) and will be glad to copy appropriate pages for those in need.
Dan Z