PDA

View Full Version : protect yo mats

misfortune
01-28-2006, 04:29 PM
So, first rainy day since I got my new mats and lo and behold they're completely nasty. I bought some generic carpet cleaner and scrubbed the crap out of them and they're now back to being clean. Is this why you guys buy rubber mats? lol

Mostly the weather isn't nasty here in DFW, but I need some suggestions for the mats when it gets nasty. Should I buy some cheapie rubber mats for rainy days?

632 Regal
01-28-2006, 07:51 PM
BMW makes some real cool winter/mud mats that hold I believe 2 quarts of ick. You could probably get the part numbers from realoem and source them through BMA or something. The advantage of the real BMW mats is that the lock to the floor like the regular ones so they dont bunch up under the peddles.

Qsilver7
01-28-2006, 09:09 PM
So, first rainy day since I got my new mats and lo and behold they're completely nasty... Is this why you guys buy rubber mats? lol

Yep, for me it is...and even dirt and dust (in the "dry" season) the rubber mats make for an easy clean up! :D

Back in December, Circle BMW had the rubber mats for the e34 sedan & touring on sale...you'd have to check with them to see if they are still at the sale price (if you're interested): www.circlebmw.com

When I had carpeted mats...I found that products such as windex, fantastik, or 409...worked great for getting stains out. Just a spritz on the stain and a clean towel (that won't transfer color) would remove stains very easily.

Gayle
01-28-2006, 09:51 PM
Take it from the resident chick who has probably had more experience with cleaning supplies than the rest of you put together--Folex is the best for cleaning spots out of fabric and upholstry.

Spill coffee on the floor mats--no problem. Spill food on your clothes--no problem. Just spray and rub with a clean towel and the offending substance is magically gone. This product has gotten Hubby out of the doghouse more times than I can count.

In the past I remember puting spray scotchguard on some floor mats on a car we previously owned. I don't remember how well it worked though.

Avoiding dirt is always easier than cleaning it up afterwards. Why not get some light cheapy matts (let them live in the trunk) to throw on top of the regular floor mats on those rare rainy days--sort of like the paper mats mechanics use except water proof.

E34 530
01-28-2006, 10:00 PM
Yep, for me it is...and even dirt and dust (in the "dry" season) the rubber mats make for an easy clean up! :D

Back in December, Circle BMW had the rubber mats for the e34 sedan & touring on sale...you'd have to check with them to see if they are still at the sale price (if you're interested): www.circlebmw.com

When I had carpeted mats...I found that products such as windex, fantastik, or 409...worked great for getting stains out. Just a spritz on the stain and a clean towel (that won't transfer color) would remove stains very easily.

That wouldn't happen to be Circle BMW in NJ is it???

misfortune
01-28-2006, 11:25 PM
I bought some generic carpet cleaner from target and so my mats are clean now. The car smells like the carpet cleaner now though. :(

The old black mats from my m20 will live in my trunk. Thanks for the suggestion!!

Take it from the resident chick who has probably had more experience with cleaning supplies than the rest of you put together--Folex is the best for cleaning spots out of fabric and upholstry.

Spill coffee on the floor mats--no problem. Spill food on your clothes--no problem. Just spray and rub with a clean towel and the offending substance is magically gone. This product has gotten Hubby out of the doghouse more times than I can count.

In the past I remember puting spray scotchguard on some floor mats on a car we previously owned. I don't remember how well it worked though.

Avoiding dirt is always easier than cleaning it up afterwards. Why not get some light cheapy matts (let them live in the trunk) to throw on top of the regular floor mats on those rare rainy days--sort of like the paper mats mechanics use except water proof.

mystical_wings
01-29-2006, 01:30 AM
DFW? where is that?Dallas?

Alexlind123
01-29-2006, 01:51 AM
I dripped some dish soap on my drivers floormat when i got the car to clean it. I then scrubbed the carpet into a lather with a brush and pressure-washed the mat. The only problem i had was that the dish soap was concentrated and it took about an hour of steady pressure washing to get the soap completely out.

The problem i have with my car now is that the interior smells like crayons. I have become used to the smeel and do not notice it anymore, but people who ride with me agree that it smells distinctly of crayons. My brothers acura smelled the same way when he got it...

zhandax
01-29-2006, 10:13 AM
If you get stains, the best remedy is Oxyclean. It is about $10 for 8.5 lbs at Home Depot. Just mix a scoop with hot water and dribble the resulting foam on the stain. Let it work 5 minutes and wipe up. I used the remainder to clean my deck for resealing, and to take yellow out of my white button downs in the washing machine. Might contain the same the ingredient (sodium percarbonate) as the stuff Gayle recommends.

And Gayle, I remember. Scotchguard works great. Especially when you do not pay dealer prep and spend $3 a can to treat your seats/carpet on a new car.

onewhippedpuppy
01-29-2006, 10:21 AM
I've rarely found a stain that Spot Shot wouldn't take out. Awesome stuff, except it makes your fingers numb if you use it for a while.

zhandax
01-29-2006, 10:35 AM
At first I got the Oxyclean to clean my deck because I did not want to kill the mulitiude of plants I had below. All the commercial deck cleaners contained either bleach, or harsh chemicals which would wipe out the plants. It was later that I discovered I could use it on the clothes, car, carpet, etc.

No numb fingers (from car cleaning at least) here.

hakwuzhere
01-29-2006, 02:18 PM
The problem i have with my car now is that the interior smells like crayons. I have become used to the smeel and do not notice it anymore, but people who ride with me agree that it smells distinctly of crayons. My brothers acura smelled the same way when he got it...

I have this same issue... .anyone have any idea what it could be?....

Gayle
01-29-2006, 02:48 PM
Those sharper image ionic breeze machines will take any smell out. They are pricy so I wouldn't buy one just for this but if you happen to already have one it is worth putting it in the car overnight.:)

swenpro
01-29-2006, 10:08 PM
BavAuto custom-fit black rubber mats are working great for me! The contrast against a tan interior hasn't been a problem at all :)

E34 530
01-29-2006, 10:16 PM
I dripped some dish soap on my drivers floormat when i got the car to clean it. I then scrubbed the carpet into a lather with a brush and pressure-washed the mat. The only problem i had was that the dish soap was concentrated and it took about an hour of steady pressure washing to get the soap completely out.

People say this to me too. I believe it is the leather because my mom's Infiniti and dad's porsche seem to smell the same. My Mom's has slowly faded over time, but the 530 and 911 still reek lol.

zhandax
01-30-2006, 05:23 PM
If you think it is the seats, you might try Leatherique to get the smell out. I am waiting for warm weather (you need to let it set for 4-5 hours in a 100+ degree car for best effects). Great cleaner and restorative.

But the crayon posters got the smell after cleaning the carpet.

genphreak
01-30-2006, 07:52 PM
I dripped some dish soap on my drivers floormat when i got the car to clean it. I then scrubbed the carpet into a lather with a brush and pressure-washed the mat. The only problem i had was that the dish soap was concentrated and it took about an hour of steady pressure washing to get t soap completely out... Dishwashing liquid is an excellent cleaner for all things, however it is high in phosphates so never use it on your car where if it gets in a seam it will cause metal to rust like mad. If you use it to clean things, try mixing it with water on your brush first, the lather does the work so there is no point impregnating what you are trying to clean with it if its gonna make your life hard getting it out/off. It increases the amount you waste too. Same with washing up the dishes- most efficient method is sopa on the sponge, not in the water itself.... LOL Not that many of us would be into doing the dishes much, but I guess there must be 'some progressives out there' amongst us... :) Nick

hakwuzhere
01-30-2006, 08:28 PM
Actually the crayon smell Im getting is whenever the heater is on... I dont notice it so much, but others do... any chance something is melting in the heating system?

Chris'91'525i
01-30-2006, 08:58 PM
And Gayle, I remember. Scotchguard works great. Especially when you do not pay dealer prep and spend $3 a can to treat your seats/carpet on a new car.

I will 3rd the Scotchguard.
I spray my Aero-Stich every couple of years after it is washed.
If splattered bugs hits at highway speeds pretty much just wipe off with a damp cloth, it is something I can recommend :D

onewhippedpuppy
01-30-2006, 11:05 PM
BavAuto custom-fit black rubber mats are working great for me! The contrast against a tan interior hasn't been a problem at all :)

Any pics? I can't decide if I want to get new tan mats, or black rubber ones with my tan interior. Tan stains too easy, but I don't know how black would look. Pics would be a great help!

About the smell, most all of my German cars have smelled the same. We're talking quite a range too: '70 911, '87 944 Turbo, '95 540. Only my A4 didn't smell the same. Not sure if that's what this smell is, but weird anyway.

hakwuzhere
01-30-2006, 11:11 PM
I know my E36 didnt have this smell, and it was a '92 also...

Alexlind123
01-31-2006, 01:04 AM
My brother has an e28 535i which has a smell to it as well. its not a bad or unclean smell, but rather the smell of leather and plastics. I would describe it as "new car smell" if it were not a 1985.

Qube
01-31-2006, 01:36 AM
Getting off topic here... but you sure that 'crayon' smell isn't someone elses idea of a heater core leak :)

liquidtiger720
01-31-2006, 01:41 AM
folex for the win!