PDA

View Full Version : HELP!! w/n start, hydrolocking?

NYBMWLVR
01-28-2006, 03:20 PM
About three months ago I took some water into the intake(the puddle was actually a lake)but the car never cut off.(sputtered for a few min.)I had no trouble for a month, then one morning she won't start. I changed the starter(after i broke it)removed belts and it still w/n start. After putting a wrench on the crankshaft bolt and rocking back and forth she starts. I changed the oil 4 times to get the water out, but she still locks up. also having some overheating problems, but i have changed almost all of the coolant components. Any suggestions greatly appreciated.

Kalevera
01-28-2006, 03:32 PM
The car was driven into a lake and it's expected to work?

best, whit

pundit
01-28-2006, 03:57 PM
The car was driven into a lake and it's expected to work?

best, whit
Yeah, but it waited for an hour after eating! ;)

NYBMWLVR
01-28-2006, 04:11 PM
I was trying to be sarcastic. The puddle was just very deep.

NYBMWLVR
01-28-2006, 04:11 PM
Thats Funny

NYBMWLVR
01-28-2006, 04:17 PM
I think I may have found my problem. I went outside after posting the thread, pulled the plugs, and found the third cylinder is full of antifreeze. How hard is a head job on a 91' 525i. I have 207k, is it worth it

Kalevera
01-28-2006, 05:10 PM
If the cylinder was full of coolant when the engine was cranked, then the bottom end probably needs a rebuild, as well. M50s are cheap, Jon just got one for like...300 bucks.

best, whit

632 Regal
01-28-2006, 07:19 PM
Whits right, if it cranked into hydrolock you probably bent a rod, cracked a piston etc etc. If it was full of water and it didnt turn it might not have bent anything but since this has been an ongoing problem it might be cheaper and safer to just replace the engine instead of wasting time and money on a gasket to find out you have a trashed lower end.

henry161
01-29-2006, 02:06 AM
Just had this exact problem on my 520i M50 - turned out the cylinder head was cracked in 2 of the combustion chambers - this is how the coolant flooded one of the pots in mine. Apart from the head (now have a used replacement) the engine was fine and runs great again - you will have to cost it out I guess and let that be your guide. If you do opt to put in a complete engine I hope you get a good one and don't fit someone elses problems - that's what I was concerned about. Good luck.:)

Jon K
01-29-2006, 10:57 AM
If the cylinder was full of coolant when the engine was cranked, then the bottom end probably needs a rebuild, as well. M50s are cheap, Jon just got one for like...300 bucks.

best, whit

a '91 is not necessarily an M50 though