PDA

View Full Version : Sh!t! Stripped oil pan!

onewhippedpuppy
01-28-2006, 02:35 PM
Today sucks. Second oil change, and when I went to put the drain plug back in it just spins. It will tighten up to a point, then loosen up again. Tried to pull it out and it just spins. My guess is that the pan is stripped out, or the thread insert is loose. How is it set up on an M60? Is there an insert in the pan, or is the pan tapped? Oddly enough though, I tightened it up as tight as it would go, and it doesn't seem to be leaking. Time for a new pan? Anybody parting an M60?

winfred
01-28-2006, 02:54 PM
helicoil it or replace the pan, one merit to having the pan off is the oportunity to tighten the oil pump bolts that fall out on m60s

jjw
01-28-2006, 02:56 PM
Usually it is the plug that's stripped. I have found that the plug is very easy to be stripped, In fact it will strip by itself over time. So it is best to have a spare one on hand and inspect the old one each time. Usually the tread close to the end will be thinner, deformed, and it will be very obvious.

Paul in NZ
01-28-2006, 05:20 PM
aahhh sacrificial sump plugs.....clever germans,still good excuse to check the pump bolts

Rigmaster
01-28-2006, 06:23 PM
Why not just get an oversized drain plug?? They are pretty common- some of them are even "self tapping" so you don't need any other tools. Check your local auto parts store and I think you'll find what you need.

If you really want to replace the pan- I think I have the pan from a 95 530i I parted out a while ago.... Let me know.

Bret.

onewhippedpuppy
01-28-2006, 09:30 PM
Bret, thanks for the offer, I'll try replacing the plug first. You don't happen to have a good intake cover, do you?

Rigmaster
01-28-2006, 09:37 PM
Bret, thanks for the offer, I'll try replacing the plug first. You don't happen to have a good intake cover, do you?

Hmm, yeah, I think I do- I was gonna hang it on the wall of my new garage once it got built- but it'd be better to use it on a car :)

Bret.

onewhippedpuppy
01-28-2006, 10:58 PM
What would you want for it? Feel free to PM me if you like.